Official LSE Applicants+Decisions 2009 Watch

This discussion is closed.
Jong Il Kim
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Economist1)
3 offers per place as an average at LSE courses (this is what an admissions tutor told us in a talk). However, the ratio of offers to places will presumably vary quite significantly from subject to subject. There may only be a small number of applicants given offers in excess to the number of available places on oversubscribed courses and vice versa.
so how about economics than?
2 offers per place maybe?
Jong Il Kim
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Roundabout)
It's not all about the grades, and in this case it most likely wasn't. I'm growing increasingly suspicious of my reference and its possible mention of my suitability for a management programme. Other than that the reference was stellar.

However, my PS might not have been what they were looking for. I made it a little bit more original, and my PS helper on TSR urged me to change it, even though my IB coordinator (done the job for 15 years) said it was fantastic. I had a really hard time deciding whether to believe an unknown person on TSR or to trust my coordinator's experience, and I ended up making only very slight modifications.

Do you think I should ask for feedback?

Thanks, and good luck to you too!
commiserations again. ermmm by the way, pertaining to your PS, in what sense do you think your PS was a killer? didn't you focus on economics all the way through? I'd rather request a feedback if I were you, especially with that brilliant grade and subject comb!

edit: FYI, a friend of mine showed his feedback from LSE the day before yesterday. I'll quote this.

Dear dddi,

Thank you for your request for feedback on your application to LSE, dated 15 November 2008.

The feedback we have received from the Admissions Tutor indicates that your application was unsuccessful as your personal statement did not demonstrate sufficient interest in the course we offer here at LSE.

Due to the level of competition for admission to the School, the quality of your personal statement is an important part of our admissions criteria.

For further clarification on what constitutes a good personal statement, please follow the link below:
http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/undergraduateAdmissions/AdmissionsCriteria/UCAS_personal_statement/Default.htm

I am sorry we have had to disappoint you in your application to the School and wish you every success in your future studies elsewhere.

Kind regards,

Emily Thornton
Admissions Administrator
Undergraduate Admissions
London School of Economics and Political Science
Houghton Street | London | WC2A 2AE | UK
Jong Il Kim
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Roundabout)
:laugh: Now that is an overstatement to say the least. Due to a severe lack of time, my essays will be utter BS and my SAT I scores totally suck. :yep:
may I ask your SAT score if you don't mind? cuz my SAT scores really sucks, while I managed to get good grades in IB and AP just curious.... feel free to PM me!
Jong Il Kim
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jibzy)
oh and guys, what is this 9a* thing they say about Straight economics at LSE???

cause i found loads of people with less than 5A*'s who got in for pure economics.
Really? Where?
nearly everywhere Int'l applicant don't need to have them at all!
Jong Il Kim
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jibzy)
'Panda-size' on the LSE forum got 5a*'s.
I wouldnt call them 'exceptions'. i dont thiink there is a 'norm' for economics.
perhaps those that got in just happen to have LOADS OF A*'S and are exactly who they wanted in terms of suitability for the course (in terms of interest)
if there was a strict rule, then there wouldnt be any outliers.
loads of 10a* candiates were also rejected last year.
so it's nothing clear-cut.
Nobody can be optimistic about getting offers from Cambridge - but of course I'd be over the moon to get one. I'm applying to Trinity. Although my average UMS at AS is over 98%, my lowest overall mark is in Economics (291/300) - kind of annoying.

But yeah, both Cambridge and LSE reject plenty of people each year who look good on paper.
so again, the conclusion that we can derive here is that it's all down to the Personal Statement in the end. :yep:
Economist1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jong Il Kim)
so how about economics than?
2 offers per place maybe?
Even a bit less than that perhaps.
Jong Il Kim
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Even a bit less than that perhaps.
1.5 offer per place for pure econ at LSE? wow that's intimidating
accessahn
Report 10 years ago
applying to
Economics/ Econometrics/ Mathematics & economics
Jibzy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by oeij)
hi guys.
just checked my UCAS track. Looks like im another one that's gotten cut from the list. Got a rejection from LSE's Governance and Economics.

How do i go about getting a feedback from LSE as to why i was rejected? You can ask for a reason right?
e-mail them. they will reply. their feedback helped me
amar09
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Cantabile)
Got rejected as well... Quite sad... Does that mean there's almost no chance of getting into Oxford/Cambridge if one's been rejected by LSE?
Unlucky

theres no correlation between getting rejected from LSEand your chances at oxbridge. What subject did you apply for at LSE?
amar09
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Ok.Its updated. Anything wrong?

Also, Oeij, was the rejection from today or yesterday?
ggap
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by amar09)
Ok.Its updated. Anything wrong?

Also, Oeij, was the rejection from today or yesterday?
yeah there is clearly something wrong. my name isn't on the list. :shifty:
i thought u were only jokin about taking it down
dorice525
Report 10 years ago
I checked TRACK today for the n'th time since 7.10.08 (=_=) and I finally saw the word CONDITIONAL pop up!!!! I was (of course) hoping that it was from LSE but no, it was from WARWICK to do PPE!!! Man I really WAS genuinely shocked as I didn't mention or hint at the word 'POLITICS' in my PS AT ALL! I'm just over the moon at the moment.... It's my third choice ! (2nd excluding Cambridge)

I really hope that LSE starts giving out offers soon..
But then, well, I guess I do prefer it when there are not set patterns. I like surprises! n_n (Hopefully pleasant surprises though lol)
Cantabile
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by amar09)
Unlucky

theres no correlation between getting rejected from LSEand your chances at oxbridge. What subject did you apply for at LSE?
I was applying for Law.

I do hope there isn't a correlation...I was just worried because Oxbridge are supposedly harder to get in than LSE (or not? correct me if I'm wrong), and if I didn't even meet the requirements for LSE, then I might as well kiss Oxford goodbye...
bvcj
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Cantabile)
I was applying for Law.

I do hope there isn't a correlation...I was just worried because Oxbridge are supposedly harder to get in than LSE (or not? correct me if I'm wrong), and if I didn't even meet the requirements for LSE, then I might as well kiss Oxford goodbye...
sorry to hear that when did they make the decision for you?

there are arguments both sides as to whether its easier or not to get into oxbridge than lse. think the most important thing is whether u interview well. for lse, all they have to make their decisions is what they can see about u on paper. with oxbridge obviously the interviews are a major part in considering they will offer you a place.

so rly good luck with the interview
anishapol
Report 10 years ago
I think people who have not been rejected yet by LSE have a chance of getting offers, or so I think.. Some people from my college who applied for the same course as me, Law, to LSE, have been rejected. I received an email asking me to confirm some details about my A levels... I am guessing they have kind of shortlisted candidates and considering them now. Obviously even then there is NO guarantee but just a minute better chance.
bvcj
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by anishapol)
I think people who have not been rejected yet by LSE have a chance of getting offers, or so I think.. Some people from my college who applied for the same course as me, Law, to LSE, have been rejected. I received an email asking me to confirm some details about my A levels... I am guessing they have kind of shortlisted candidates and considering them now. Obviously even then there is NO guarantee but just a minute better chance.
hi anishapol,

i too am applying for law and havent been rejected yet (still hanging on in there!) how many people were rejected from your college? wat were their grades like in comparison to yours?
i really hope the next decisions are offers!! good luck to you
Freudian
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No offers yet? M'kay
kennethoty
Report 10 years ago
is there anyone applying for both econometrics and pure econ at the same time?
Jibzy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by anishapol)
mind you, people got rejected in April:p: . Im sure they thought they had a good chance at the time. but who knows.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (282)
27.35%
No (749)
72.65%

Watched Threads