Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    Mmm, in what way yes?
    Only scenario I can think of is that if you take your medicine degree outside the realms of hospitals/clinics/labs, and for example go into the city, which people do do occasionally.

I guess if you are applying for a non-medical job, the place where you got your degree might hold some value.

But other than that situation, i guess its mainly No, they don't matter a great deal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamWalters)
    Only scenario I can think of is that if you take your medicine degree outside the realms of hospitals/clinics/labs, and for example go into the city, which people do do occasionally.

I guess if you are applying for a non-medical job, the place where you got your degree might hold some value.

But other than that situation, i guess its mainly No, they don't matter a great deal
    I should think if you went into private practice or research then they would have a look at what university you went to. I know it's hidden in the NHS applications but a lot of doctors end up doing some element of private work. Also if you went abroad to practise they may not have the same policy on "hiding" the university during the application process.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crackerbox)
    I should think if you went into private practice or research then they would have a look at what university you went to. I know it's hidden in the NHS applications but a lot of doctors end up doing some element of private work. Also if you went abroad to practise they may not have the same policy on "hiding" the university during the application process.

yh but the league tables aint really a great estimate, because apart from 4-6 unis(imperial,ucl,oxford,cambrid ge,edinburgh,st.andrews), they fluctuate alot
    for example if i end up goin barts, lets disregard this years times league tables, because barts are bottom
    however, next year, let them be very important, as because of the RAE stuff barts should be in or around the top 10 of the times league tables
    oh and another thing, even the times and guardian tables are so different to each other, you really cant read into them much

so if you go into private practise or abroad, dont think league tables would be taken into account,but i think the places would probably have universitys their fond of and not so fond of

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jojoba123)
    does anyone know if southampton look at GCSE's alot?

the atmosphere on this forum seems to be quite down recently
    well i only got 3A*, and i got a BM5 offer yesterday, while a friend of mine with about 7 A* was rejected. so if its gt u worried chin up! they obviously don't care that much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *...smiling away....*)
    well i only got 3A*, and i got a BM5 offer yesterday, while a friend of mine with about 7 A* was rejected. so if its gt u worried chin up! they obviously don't care that much.
    Wow, i hope they take me soon too.:o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *...smiling away....*)

Whats your ukcat?

ReputationRep:
    rejected from uea
    onlt 2 left now
    1Bristol
    2 pms (not much hope here)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lrobison1)
    rejected from uea
    onlt 2 left now
    1Bristol
    Sorry to hear that. Why are you giving up on pms?

Mmm, in what way yes?
    I know that in Hong Kong, if you have a private practice, the front of your surgery thing has a glass exterior where your name, and where you studied for your medicine degree and other degrees..

For example:

Dr X MB. BS. BSc.
    Chinese University, Hong Kong

All the practices I've seen are like that; so the more highly regarded the uni you went to is, the better your business prospects could be. (Over in HK, you pay everytime you see a doctor, even a GP; you also pay for each night you spend in a hospital. They don't do the whole tax thing, which is why they have to pay.)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks well ive not totally given up just think i have a slim chance now. Especially as most of the interviews have been given out. yes i know that its not over until i get that rejections.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostphotobooth)
    I know that in Hong Kong, if you have a private practice, the front of your surgery thing has a glass exterior where your name, and where you studied for your medicine degree and other degrees..

For example:

Dr X MB. BS. BSc.

All the practices I've seen are like that; so the more highly regarded the uni you went to is, the better your business prospects could be. (Over in HK, you pay everytime you see a doctor, even a GP; you also pay for each night you spend in a hospital. They don't do the whole tax thing, which is why they have to pay.)
    Did you noly apply to imperial? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lrobison1)
    rejected from uea
    onlt 2 left now
    1Bristol
    uea with or without interview?

(Original post by SilentGirl)
    Did you noly apply to imperial? :confused:
    Yeah I did. But I used a random example. (CUHK is a highly regarded uni in Hong Kong as only two unis in Hong Kong do medicine).

Actually, Medicine at Imperial is my only choice left haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hatman09MedPlz)
    yh but the league tables aint really a great estimate, because apart from 4-6 unis(imperial,ucl,oxford,cambrid ge,edinburgh,st.andrews), they fluctuate alot
    for example if i end up goin barts, lets disregard this years times league tables, because barts are bottom
    however, next year, let them be very important, as because of the RAE stuff barts should be in or around the top 10 of the times league tables
    oh and another thing, even the times and guardian tables are so different to each other, you really cant read into them much

so if you go into private practise or abroad, dont think league tables would be taken into account,but i think the places would probably have universitys their fond of and not so fond of
    Ah sorry, I was talking about the reputation in general. Like for NHS FY jobs it wouldn't matter if you studied at Cambridge or Peninsula for example but it might make a difference if you were applying for private work/ work abroad/ research (obviously research would fluctuate more on the structure of the course but you know what I mean.)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I did. But I used a random example. (CUHK is a highly regarded uni in Hong Kong as only two unis in Hong Kong do medicine).

Actually, Medicine at Imperial is my only choice left haha.
    you got rejected from the rest? Hows that possible?:confused: I mean, your bmat is so good, so must be ur ukcat and the rest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jack252)
    uea with or without interview?
    without
    my application was not sucessful on secondary screening

you got rejected from the rest? Hows that possible?:confused: I mean, your bmat is so good, so must be ur ukcat and the rest.
    The places I got rejected from said I was a stong candidate. However, this is medicine, and c'est la vie :p: I seem to be using that phrase a lot, but it does just about sum up my application haha.

Oh well, all I need is one offer, and hopefully Imperial will oblige :p: seeing as I'm in love with Imperial haha.

ReputationRep:

For example:

Dr X MB. BS. BSc.

Luckily we have the NHS.

ReputationRep:
    The places I got rejected from said I was a stong candidate. However, this is medicine, and c'est la vie :p: I seem to be using that phrase a lot, but it does just about sum up my application haha.

Oh well, all I need is one offer, and hopefully Imperial will oblige :p: seeing as I'm in love with Imperial haha.
    who rejected you?

Oxbridge? 3 rejections so early... I really hope you get imperial...

Luckily we have the NHS.
    Yep. Everyone knocks it, but there aren't many other countries where you can get free healthcare. I mean, the system isn't the best, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be.

who rejected you?

Oxbridge? 3 rejections so early... I really hope you get imperial...
    Yeah, rejection from Cambridge, Kings (both without an interview) and rejection from SGUL after interview. The SGUL one I completely understand though; I didn't want to go there and it showed when they asked haha.

Cambridge and King's gave me lousy reasons really. Cambs said my BMAT result was low, yet I know someone with a lower BMAT than me (but only 1A* more at GCSE) who got an interview at the same college.

Kings', they said I was a strong candidate and that was it. But whatever, I'm over it. It's their loss at the end of the day and they've lost out on a netball/badminton player who would have probably have done well on the respective teams. (As well as a hardworking (I will be by then) student.)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 5, 2010

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.