Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Anyone want to explain how pain works? I can't get it all to fit together in my head. I think I get how pain goes from the damaged site to the brain, but then I get lost when you add in descending control and gate control theory :dontknow:
    We did that last week. I remember zilch :p:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone want to explain how pain works? I can't get it all to fit together in my head. I think I get how pain goes from the damaged site to the brain, but then I get lost when you add in descending control and gate control theory :dontknow:
    Descending control/gate theory simply inhibits the sensory afferent fibres at the spinal level via the larger A beta fibres, reducing the overall pain signal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    Descending control/gate theory simply inhibits the sensory afferent fibres at the spinal level via the larger A beta fibres, reducing the overall pain signal.
    At spinal level? So where does the substantia gellatinosa in the middle of my gate control diagram fit in? I thought it was in the brain? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    Not necessarily. Just expressing disappointment :p:

I don't know yet if I like PBL. That said, I really don't like lectures, so I guess in the current system, PBL's the only alternative.
    tutorials!

ReputationRep:
    At spinal level? So where does the substantia gellatinosa in the middle of my gate control diagram fit in? I thought it was in the brain? :confused:
    The substantia gelatinosa is made up of layers I and II on the dorsal horn of spinal grey matter, it's where the A beta fibres interact with the primary afferents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    The substantia gelatinosa is made up of layers I and II on the dorsal horn of spinal grey matter, it's where the A beta fibres interact with the primary afferents.
    Ohhh. Ta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woody.)
    So many people do it here. Some effectively copy them, some print them out, and others make small notes on them (what I do) when the lecturer says something that isn't in the notes/only appears on the powerpoint.
    how do they have time to do that though? i think the fact that we always have the ppt slides in every lecture may be skewing my idea of what other people do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Locke)
    how do they have time to do that though? i think the fact that we always have the ppt slides in every lecture may be skewing my idea of what other people do?
    What do you mean by time? I write notes in the lecture from the slides and from what the lecturer is saying, so it takes no more time than sitting in the lecture doing nothing.

ReputationRep:
    such a big PBL this week! Jasus

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me or do some other people ponder how life would have been had they gone to another medical school (presuming you had the option, two offers etc)? I find myself doing it more and more recently and I don't think it's doing me any good.

ReputationRep:
    tutorials!
    Not sure a course exists that consists of tutorials, no PBL and no lectures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Is it just me or do some other people ponder how life would have been had they gone to another medical school (presuming you had the option, two offers etc)? I find myself doing it more and more recently and I don't think it's doing me any good.
    Nope as I literally didn't want to go to any other medical school - and would have turned down other offers.

I know that's the kinda stuff that makes Renal get vitriolic but hey ho.

Why - you're at a "good" one - what's making you feel this way?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Nor me :dontknow:

But when I applied UEA was always my favourite :yep:

ReputationRep:
    :yes: But then I also seem to be pondering what life would have been if I'd stuck with my original degree choice, or if I'd done something completely non-sciencey.

ReputationRep:
    Lectures are optional at many places.
    So you could have just had tutorials & practicals at mine.

Shudder to think if I'd gone to my insurance...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but mostly because I get fed up of London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    Lectures are optional at many places.
    So you could have just had tutorials & practicals at mine.

Shudder to think if I'd gone to my insurance...
    That's a fair point. They're "optional" here, and consequently my attendance has been poor at lectures in year two. They're just such a dire way to learn though...

ReputationRep:
    well no because it'd be too expensive, a waste of time for tutors (who whats to tutor people on absolute basics?) and also unnecessary as the basics are easily understood from books with guidance (mostly on detail and topics) from a lecture.

That said, I would say the significant majority of our course is not lecture based.

ReputationRep:
    well no because it'd be too expensive, a waste of time for tutors (who whats to tutor people on absolute basics?) and also unnecessary as the basics are easily understood from books with guidance (mostly on detail and topics) from a lecture.
    The basics can be gleaned from books/other resources without much trouble. To me, the only time a lecture feels necessary is if it's about something that's not quite in the textbooks yet... the very up to date stuff.

We don't seem to get that. Our lectures are on the usual stuff that's covered in textbooks... except it's a person talking for an hour generally going through a pretty dismal powerpoint presentation.

ReputationRep:
    The basics can be gleaned from books/other resources without much trouble. To me, the only time a lecture feels necessary is if it's about something that's not quite in the textbooks yet... the very up to date stuff.

We don't seem to get that. Our lectures are on the usual stuff that's covered in textbooks... except it's a person talking for an hour generally going through a pretty dismal powerpoint presentation.
    I would be fairly pissed if I were paying £3000/yr to read textbooks. If you take out our token amount of clinical teaching, we're 95% lectures.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.