Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Never eaten at Pollock... not sure if I want to, am quite happy living here with people who set the fire alarms off whilst cooking chips... not mentioning any names- Ankita.

This is offically the most dead-ist society ever now were all actually in Edinburgh...

ReputationRep:
    We eat there because we've paid for it- no other reason (except the hash browns are nice, so are the bagels). Kay, I thought I saw you (again) but it was from out my window so I couldn't exactly shout HELLO PERSON I'VE ONLY EVER ACTUALLY MET ON T'INTERWEB! could I?

This really is so dead though. We were all on here by this time last year- where's the next generation that we're supposed to be guiding through?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaelnicholson88)
    We eat there because we've paid for it- no other reason (except the hash browns are nice, so are the bagels). Kay, I thought I saw you (again) but it was from out my window so I couldn't exactly shout HELLO PERSON I'VE ONLY EVER ACTUALLY MET ON T'INTERWEB! could I?

This really is so dead though. We were all on here by this time last year- where's the next generation that we're supposed to be guiding through?
    Oo yeah I was in Chancellor's for a bit to see Shona's room - your building is like my hotel! It's so weird... We're just so close to actually meeting but so far...

I'm still a bit sick from poisoning myself (rofl at self-catering...) so I didn't have a lot, but I managed to get milk and I was all OH MY GAWD because it was so good hah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yossarianlives)
    Pollock peeps missed me again! I was in the JMC - how can you eat that shiz every day?!
    i didnt miss you! i have said hi! and also saw you another day but you looked very deep in conversation and i didnt wnat to disturb you...

i love the food here! its great! unless i have been reprogrammed and just like rubbish now because i am used to it... although, i am sure that's not the case.

ankita! are you setting fire alarms off???? hehe!

is anyone from pollock planning on paying the extra 250quid to get their room over the easter holidays? now that i am working here i think i am going to have to stay and pay.

how are everyones courses going? linguistics is so difficult, i have been investigating turkish... and do any of the other ling students not find it stupid that we get work for our tutorial to do at home, even although we have never done that stuff in lectures? maybe if we had been lectured on the material we would have an idea of how to do the work instead of turning up every week to tutorials clueless. also, why on earth are we not supposed to discuss our investigations? when we asked our tutor for help on it (i mean, how are we supposed to know how to write something up like this if we have never done it before and also the questions are crazy hard!!?!?!) and our tutor said he isnt allowed to discuss it with us or help in any way, we have to do it ourselves. so i am stressed because i mean how am i supposed to write up something i dont understand. at least i am not the only person in this position- everyone seems to be fretting over this.

looks like i might be handing in a blank bit of paper

and chinese is... tricky. they dont let us know exactly what to learn, the teacher just puts random characters on the board and says learn it if you want! so i think i might be memorising too many characters but i would rather it was that way than i didnt know any at all. and i quite like drawing them. speaking it is hard, though you would think i would be professional with how much i natter on, i am so well experienced in word formation! hehehehe

english language is ace, our lecturers have all been great so far. the one i have just now makes it as though we are in the jeremy kyle show, he walks into the audience and talks to people and asks them questions and opinions. so i sit in the middle of the row so he cant find me :p:

i am in the middle of a write up about grant house, pollock halls and if anyone else wants to do the same fo rtheir house that would be great. we need to decide if we would like to put the links to the reviews as a link in the first post, or if we should put it all in tsr wiki or in both places.

rant over

xxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    What's the self-catered accommodation like?

ReputationRep:
    Everyone sends me messages with things like "ooo, I saw you the other day but you were talking very seriously with someone so I didn't approach you" etc, and I just have to laugh at that hah. But yeah, Carly, I got a fright when you found me, hahah. And I was soooo lost in there hah, with all the points and everything *overwhelmed* hah.

However, self-catered accommodation is fabulous, especially Warrender Park residences - the most wonderful setting. I'm so happy I chose WPC, and the people are so nice.

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I've got a friend at Glasgow Uni who wants to speak to me on MSN, but her Resnet equivalent won't let her. I know some people here can help with proxy settings and the like (Lukas, I'm looking at you here) so I was wondering if you could tell me what she has to do to get it working again. Yes, rep is available for this. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaelnicholson88)
    Hello. I've got a friend at Glasgow Uni who wants to speak to me on MSN, but her Resnet equivalent won't let her. I know some people here can help with proxy settings and the like (Lukas, I'm looking at you here) so I was wondering if you could tell me what she has to do to get it working again. Yes, rep is available for this. Thank you.
    well, im afraid its not gonna work - if she can connect to MSN, it means all the proxy is set up correctly...however, if she cannot ring you up, it might mean that the school is somehow blocking that function (like ResNet is blocking webcams on MSN - thats what ive heard, im not using MSN)...
    so, try getting Skype, that might work, if not, try to set all the proxy settings, if not, its not going to work...
    any Qs, just ask...

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone's exams pan out?

I have one on the 7th and 13th. This obviously condones me taking 2 weekends off work... *cough*

*excited about actually spending a weekend in Edinburgh*

Technology on the 7th and history on the 13th. Woeii.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukas)
    well, im afraid its not gonna work - if she can connect to MSN, it means all the proxy is set up correctly...however, if she cannot ring you up, it might mean that the school is somehow blocking that function (like ResNet is blocking webcams on MSN - thats what ive heard, im not using MSN)...
    so, try getting Skype, that might work, if not, try to set all the proxy settings, if not, its not going to work...
    any Qs, just ask...
    Thanks anyway.

As for exams, I think I'm the 8th, 12th and 15th, nice gaps between them all. And Politics is last I think, which is excellent. How is everybody these days?

ReputationRep:
    ****, politics is the 15th? So I can't go home early/go to my godfather's house and hang there?

That's a pisser...

Miss Smith, you're in grant house...?!

What room? (pm me if you don't want it online)

I'm on the ground floor...

ReputationRep:
    all my exams are on the 14th and 15th, that's a bit annoying, but at least i will have loads of time to revise...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjarvis)
    ****, politics is the 15th? So I can't go home early/go to my godfather's house and hang there?

That's a pisser...

Miss Smith, you're in grant house...?!

What room? (pm me if you don't want it online)

I'm on the ground floor...
    yes! and i just realised i spoke to you the other day! :O

haha! sent you a PM

ReputationRep:
    holland d block..
    room 238...

don't act like u dont wanna

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone's exams pan out?

I have one on the 7th and 13th. This obviously condones me taking 2 weekends off work... *cough*

*excited about actually spending a weekend in Edinburgh*

Technology on the 7th and history on the 13th. Woeii.
    "grandpa loves his cake" haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billbonesknowswhatimean)
    holland d block..
    room 238...

don't act like u dont wanna
    You act as if people actually want to see your room...

And ROFL Grandpa does love his cake. Neil says we're to call him Grandpa forevar. hahah.

ReputationRep:
    Happy Halloween peeps.

I am spending it watching Disney videos (ie. Little Mermaid and Aladin) with other architects.

I rock.

------

Carly, I've lost my phone so could you message me on, facebook or here, or something. Please.

ReputationRep:
    michael nic - check that she got internet explorer set up properly - because firefox users can *sometimes* forget to set them up.

basicly msn needs IE

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like a good time...

Yeah, Happy Halloween everybody

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissSmith)
    how are everyones courses going? linguistics is so difficult, i have been investigating turkish... and do any of the other ling students not find it stupid that we get work for our tutorial to do at home, even although we have never done that stuff in lectures? maybe if we had been lectured on the material we would have an idea of how to do the work instead of turning up every week to tutorials clueless. also, why on earth are we not supposed to discuss our investigations? when we asked our tutor for help on it (i mean, how are we supposed to know how to write something up like this if we have never done it before and also the questions are crazy hard!!?!?!) and our tutor said he isnt allowed to discuss it with us or help in any way, we have to do it ourselves. so i am stressed because i mean how am i supposed to write up something i dont understand. at least i am not the only person in this position- everyone seems to be fretting over this.
    As a fellow linguist I shall respond... Bob Ladd said we can ask our tutors for help on the coursework didn't he? He said yesterday the first port of call for help is to ask your tutor, and apparently they should know all about the project now. Also, the tutorial work is just strange- we always do it in the tutorial, but yeah I know what you mean, I think its just supposed to be related to what we do in the lectures not really directly related. I mean what was that Turkish thing all about??
    If you want we can work together for the coursework? I've already started getting my morphemes together and its actually quite fun once you get into it and start memorising the verbs. God I'm sad. But yeah, tis really hard.
    You're not enjoying it I take it? I think we're the opposite, as I hated the phonetics and phonology part but am enjoying syntax, but the I knew I prefereed that anyway as I did at A level. Accent and dialect was boring.

However, self-catered accommodation is fabulous, especially Warrender Park residences - the most wonderful setting. I'm so happy I chose WPC, and the people are so nice.
    why thank you Kay, I know I am nice when are we going to meet up, btw? we could go to the Links for dinner one day, or you could come to mine or something. As I haven't seen you much which is silly considering you live around the corner. Carly said you were initially allocated my room- can you remember what it was exactly? as that would be so freaky!
    S/C wise, rock on with the warrender park massive, hehe x

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.