Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Singapore Kopitiam watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rNadOm)
    Hey, I was just wondering when everyone is planning on heading down to the UK. I'm starting @ ucl in September doing law and the school term only starts on the 28th with some vague international student orientation starting on the 23rd (Wednesday). I'm currently booked to leave on the Sunday before the orientation figuring that I can use Monday and Tuesday to sort out getting a bank account, a phone plan and whatever else I need to do. Though besides those 2 things I couldn't really figure out much else I needed to sort out.

So anyway, when's everyone else going? (sorry if this was discussed before but I only read like the last 2 pages before this and couldn't be bothered to go through the rest)

departing singapore on the 22th sep..... if u do see a grp of 6 annoying students... most prob its me :yes:

what are u guys bringing over n NOT bringing over(buying there)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melsonchun)
    Just 1 question, what did you guys input as the examining authority? CIE or UCLES?
    if you're talking about O levels.. i put UCLES (I recall i asked the British Council about this before)

Not sure about A levels though.

ReputationRep:
    As a side note, remember to book a tour if you really want to go. Went on my ICJ pilgrimage last month and was cruelly turned away at the gates. Probably would have been best to go when they were actually fighting the Pedra Branca case though; have a couple of friends at Oxford who went and had dinner with Tommy Koh, I shouldn't have missed that for a stupid essay crisis. :rolleyes:

Most important things to bring to the UK: a rice-cooker and lots of Prima Taste pastes. If you are like me, foolscap, because their paper there has four holes and is rubbish.

What not to bring: thick coats, scarves, woolen socks etc etc. I personally never used them, and they are much cheaper there anyway. Will save you a lot of packing distress.

(Original post by gi.)
    yep i did include the reasons. citing the normal stuff like... UK is near the home of ICJ/Hague and its proximity will somehow benefit me, (i said i was interested in international law) in what way i dont really know but yeah, its a hell a lot nearer than Columbia or Duke. hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skyraider)
    departing singapore on the 22th sep..... if u do see a grp of 6 annoying students... most prob its me :yes:

Hi, just curious, what are you going to pursue over at uni?

My biggest dilemma is whether to bring my xbox... I'm still quite 50 50 on it. Not sure if it's worth the effort to lug it up and down. I kind of want to bring my speakers as well so I figure I'll just throw them in if I have extra space.

Other than that I'm just bring all the standard stuff. Clothes and whatever. I barely have any warm clothing and definitely nothing heavy duty so I'm planning on getting 1 or 2 things before I leave and I'll stock up on the rest there.

One question, are you guys buying your laptop here or there?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just curious, what are you going to pursue over at uni?
    haha..... pursuing my studies is my primary objective..... taking a break from singapore and work is secondary....

i will be taking my masters with another 9 of my frens... so i think it will be pretty fun with em ard....

ReputationRep:
    My biggest dilemma is whether to bring my xbox... I'm still quite 50 50 on it. Not sure if it's worth the effort to lug it up and down. I kind of want to bring my speakers as well so I figure I'll just throw them in if I have extra space.

Other than that I'm just bring all the standard stuff. Clothes and whatever. I barely have any warm clothing and definitely nothing heavy duty so I'm planning on getting 1 or 2 things before I leave and I'll stock up on the rest there.

haha...all work but no play is not the way to go.... but then.... i am not intending to bring my Wii there... a laptop with movies and games is good enuff for me.... speaker wise.... i have nothing to say... cuz i am quite tempted to bring mine as well...

warm clothing wise i am only bringing 1 or 2 set... i noticed that those warm clothings that i see in departmental stalls are made in uk, scotland, etc etc.... so i think it will be more worthwhile buying in uk... plus i dun have to lug them to uk.....

i am actually more interested in the items that singaproreans missed in uk that can be bought here....(eg....instant noodles????)

ReputationRep:
    hey, ok this is a lil off topic amidst all the excitement of you guys making it to the uk already. but how much does the h1 subjects matter? cuz they websites seem to just require good grades for 3 h2 subs? i'd be less stressed up that way haha :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by summersolitude)
    hey, ok this is a lil off topic amidst all the excitement of you guys making it to the uk already. but how much does the h1 subjects matter? cuz they websites seem to just require good grades for 3 h2 subs? i'd be less stressed up that way haha :P
    Don't stress. Do your best in everything. The feeling after having put in your best in everything would be beyond comprehension. For all that matter, results won't matter as much to you. You will do just fine!! No worries

ReputationRep:
    haha..... pursuing my studies is my primary objective..... taking a break from singapore and work is secondary....

i will be taking my masters with another 9 of my frens... so i think it will be pretty fun with em ard....
    Haha, well... great as well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jspuz)
    Most important things to bring to the UK: a rice-cooker and lots of Prima Taste pastes. If you are like me, foolscap, because their paper there has four holes and is rubbish.

What not to bring: thick coats, scarves, woolen socks etc etc. I personally never used them, and they are much cheaper there anyway. Will save you a lot of packing distress.
    Agree with Prima paste, they make you quite happy. I recommend the chicken rice one - tastes quite good and are simple enough to use (essentially, just mix paste with rice with water and stick into rice cooker).

I actually prefer the foolscap they sell in the UK (to the extent that I actually bring some home to Singapore!), so it's really a matter of preference. But pens are definitely cheaper in Singapore (a Pilot GTEC is about £2.50 or so), and some types of pens aren't available (like the Uniball 0.38s if you really like them), so it may be worth getting them here.

Other things that you could consider bringing are things like food you really like but aren't available in the UK (ask seniors if they can be found in the UK - some things like Nissin cup noodles and Indomee mee goreng are actually quite readily found in Chinese supermarkets although they may be more expensive).

Winter clothing isn't actually necessarily cheaper in the UK (unless they're on sale, in which case they become really really cheap), but there's a really huge selection compared to the very limited selection in Singapore, so you're more likely to get something that you're looking for or that you really like. But don't bother bringing too much winter clothing over - I brought over quite a bit my first time, and ended up bringing most of them back because I never wore them!

Just a quick note that the return/exchange policies on everything are much better in the UK - so you're likely to have a much easier time exchanging or returning electronic items like laptops if you decide that you don't like what you bought as compared to in Singapore.

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering... if you guys are coming to the UK, do you still have to do your pesky 2 years of national service?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    Just wondering... if you guys are coming to the UK, do you still have to do your pesky 2 years of national service?
    YES. and they enlist Permanent Residents as well (i am one), how ridiculous is thissss.

we have to finish NS before we can start our university proper, UNLESS one is on government scholarship which allows you to disrupt your national service and then you are sent overseas for your studies.

why that question though? haha..

ReputationRep:
    Don't stress. Do your best in everything. The feeling after having put in your best in everything would be beyond comprehension. For all that matter, results won't matter as much to you. You will do just fine!! No worries
    haha yeah, i'm trying to not freak out at the tiniest thing. i have to admit my paranoia can get a little annoying at times :p: for now, its back to being the typical mugger! thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yes and eventually when we come to the UK we become old men going to school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    YES. and they enlist Permanent Residents as well (i am one), how ridiculous is thissss.

we have to finish NS before we can start our university proper, UNLESS one is on government scholarship which allows you to disrupt your national service and then you are sent overseas for your studies.

why that question though? haha..
    (Original post by Lionelg)
    Yes and eventually when we come to the UK we become old men going to school.
    I feel sorry for you guys. 2 years is a long time, and the stuff isn't exactly fun either. That would make a normal 3 year degree 5 years :eek: I mean, surely for things like medicine you'd be exempt, otherwise... :eek3: :eek:

Still, I'm guessing you can apply to unis whilst on NS and keep doing it - makes no difference eh? :p:

I'm guessing it's because Singapore has such a small population that if it has a war or something.... blah, there's not going to be a war... NS is a waste of time lol

ReputationRep:
    I feel sorry for you guys. 2 years is a long time, and the stuff isn't exactly fun either. That would make a normal 3 year degree 5 years :eek: I mean, surely for things like medicine you'd be exempt, otherwise... :eek3: :eek:

Still, I'm guessing you can apply to unis whilst on NS and keep doing it - makes no difference eh? :p:

I'm guessing it's because Singapore has such a small population that if it has a war or something.... blah, there's not going to be a war... NS is a waste of time lol
    there's no exemption for overseas medicine students. you still have to serve the mandatory 2 years then go for your university course. there's only disruption for local-university-accepted med students, so after their med course, and become full fledged GPs, and serve as medical officers during their NS.

the latter is the worse option i feel, wasting your newly acquired knowledge and skills of medicine in the field of military medicine, which just amounts giving out prescriptions for flu/cough/fever/headache/rashes and the occasional serious cases of sprains/breaks.

the only good thing to come out of NS is, the multiple attempts that you can take to apply to universities, but ohwells, its a minor advantage.

argh. 7 more months! ORD LOH!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    there's no exemption for overseas medicine students. you still have to serve the mandatory 2 years then go for your university course. there's only disruption for local-university-accepted med students, so after their med course, and become full fledged GPs, and serve as medical officers during their NS.

the latter is the worse option i feel, wasting your newly acquired knowledge and skills of medicine in the field of military medicine, which just amounts giving out prescriptions for flu/cough/fever/headache/rashes and the occasional serious cases of sprains/breaks.

the only good thing to come out of NS is, the multiple attempts that you can take to apply to universities, but ohwells, its a minor advantage.

argh. 7 more months! ORD LOH!
    So instead of 2 years playing soldier you have 2 years as a MO, probably a minor benefit I guess, though it wouldn't be too bad if you got paid as a doctor :p: Somehow I doubt that though :p: What a waste though, they would benefit the community more instead of having to do NS and this goes for everyone really. It would help the economy at any rate.

If I remember correctly, Singapore only has 1 med school anyway, NUS? and there aren't many places to do any degrees anyway, I mean, there's NTU as well I think. I'd imagine quite a few people will go abroad then... though I'm guessing that you can escape abroad and stay there forever, thus exempting yourself from NS :p:

So, what exactly is there to do all of these 2 years... must be such an awful waste of time. Ah, where are you going after your NS is done? :p:

ReputationRep:
    So instead of 2 years playing soldier you have 2 years as a MO, probably a minor benefit I guess, though it wouldn't be too bad if you got paid as a doctor :p: Somehow I doubt that though :p: What a waste though, they would benefit the community more instead of having to do NS and this goes for everyone really. It would help the economy at any rate.

If I remember correctly, Singapore only has 1 med school anyway, NUS? and there aren't many places to do any degrees anyway, I mean, there's NTU as well I think. I'd imagine quite a few people will go abroad then... though I'm guessing that you can escape abroad and stay there forever, thus exempting yourself from NS :p:

So, what exactly is there to do all of these 2 years... must be such an awful waste of time. Ah, where are you going after your NS is done? :p:
    they get paid more than the people serving as soliders cause the MOs will be given a Captain's rank and they are learned with degrees, thus they will be given actual CPT's pay grade scale, not that it's a consolation, since their earning potential is higher outside.

and yes Singapore has only ONE med school, so disruption cases for guys who are going medicine, are only within that one med school. im sure for medicine and law there are loads of people going overseas cause theres only 2 law schools (NUS & SMU) and 1 med sch (NUS).

yep its an awful waste of time. i dont think im allowed to discuss military trainee curriculum on a public forum for fear of getting dragged off by MSD. hahaha. gonna pursue law at King's College London after i finish. really looking forward to stopping my brain degeneration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    they get paid more than the people serving as soliders cause the MOs will be given a Captain's rank and they are learned with degrees, thus they will be given actual CPT's pay grade scale, not that it's a consolation, since their earning potential is higher outside.

and yes Singapore has only ONE med school, so disruption cases for guys who are going medicine, are only within that one med school. im sure for medicine and law there are loads of people going overseas cause theres only 2 law schools (NUS & SMU) and 1 med sch (NUS).

yep its an awful waste of time. i dont think im allowed to discuss military trainee curriculum on a public forum for fear of getting dragged off by MSD. hahaha. gonna pursue law at King's College London after i finish. really looking forward to stopping my brain degeneration.
    Oh I see. It's extremely harsh that permenant residents in the country have to do it as well, I mean, if there was a hypothetical war, you probably wouldn't feel as compelled to fight anyway - plus the country is meant to be encouraging people in :p: I think the whole NS system needs a major overhaul - in most countries which have it as compulsorary, it's only for a few weeks or something, but 2 years is just insanely long. I feel sorry for you :p:

KCL Law, awesome place. Definitely something to look forward to I guess, going away, the independence and all that Plus, LNAT must have been quite hard! Shame about the NS though

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.