Edexcel Chemistry A2 Unit 5 ~ Wednesday 19th June 2013 (Now Closed) Watch

Poll: How pumped up are you for this exam?-(warning)-(bad jokes arene this poll!)
"Titanium-I'm not going to corrode (even at high temperatures)" (A*) (22)
16.67%
"Benzene's my middle name, give me the paper in a week and I'll ace it!" (A) (27)
20.45%
"Yeah, I'm fairly electrophillic (positively charged) about the exam" (B) (27)
20.45%
"I'm in the middle of the salt bridge, but I will pass-eventually" (C) (21)
15.91%
"I'm feeling rather electroNegative about this exam" (D) (18)
13.64%
"Benzene, what's that?" (E) (6)
4.55%
"Chemistry, what's that?" (F) (11)
8.33%
This discussion is closed.
jojo1995
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by AS01)
the only thing that becomes part of ring is the group directly attached to it others dont really contribute electron to the pi system. Having said that with ethylbenzene the CH3 group pushes electron cloud to CH group attached to benzene so activates the ring as e- density increases
ahh okay ... thank you - I didnt know that before - *sad times*
AS01
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jojo1995)
ahh okay ... thank you - I didnt know that before - *sad times*
Now you do
shumen9523
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by AS01)
I have answer to your question
The thing is zwitterions doesnt exist alone. Remember there is reversible reaction between amino acid and zwitterion so peptide bond forms with amino acids only as they are also present
Yeah, it makes sense now
Thanks A LOT ... and good luck with Chem 5
EDIT: I can't (+ rep) you now but I will once I rate other members
AS01
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by shumen9523)
Yeah, it makes sense now (+rep)
Thanks A LOT ... and good luck with Chem 5
Thank you. Good luck to you too! Hope the paper is good
Knoyle quiah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by AS01)
yeah u have round bottom flask with the reactants in another flask u have water or something that boils at a temp lower than boiling point of phenylamine. Now the steam from this flask to the flask where there are reactants which will heat the reactants on that flask coz when the steam condenses it releases heat which will be enough to heat the reactants.
Phenylamine and water will evaporate and is condensed by the condenser since they are immiscible they would form two layers which could be separated using a separating funnel.
Phenylamine does react slightly with water so when separating using separating funnel u have to dissolve it in NaCl to reduce solubility of phenylamine in water so that u dont lose ur product and get high yield.
Hope it helped
Thank you for a very clear explanation all makes sense but when and where is the NaCL added??
AS01
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Knoyle quiah)
Thank you for a very clear explanation all makes sense but when and where is the NaCL added??
After u do steam distillation u have product with mixture of water and phenylamine right?
u wanna get rid of water so what u do is add NaCl and keep in separating funnel. I think aq layer will be below and organic layer at the top so u can get rid of aq layer by opening the tap. After than u have organic layer left which will still have water in it. So what u need to do next is add anhydrous Na2CO3 why this and not CaCl2 is coz CaCl2 and magnesium sulphate will react with phenylamine. So now water will be removed but then again u have sodium carbonate in ur product so u decant the product and then distil the solution to get phenylamine in pure form.
lol I think I explained more than what u asked for
jojo1995
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by AS01)
Now you do

I certainly do

ATM ... I'm really bad at hydrogen environments

couls someone help me out please --- i did a drawing on paint and i was wondering if anyone could tell me if im right in circling different hydrogen environewmnts in different circles ?
Attached files
Weaselmoose
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by LeaX)
Can [Cu(NH3)6]2+ form? I've seen in most textbooks and websites that only [Cu(NH3)4]2+ can form but in Jan 2013 for the transition metals question (14, a, C) it says [Cu(NH3)6]2+ as a potential answer?
In theory it can but only doesn't because the ammonia Ligands are slightly bigger than water Ligands so they can't fit around the Cu if there's 6.
Bord3r
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I certainly do

couls someone help me out please --- i did a drawing on paint and i was wondering if anyone could tell me if im right in circling different hydrogen environewmnts in different circles ?
Looks right to me.
AS01
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I certainly do

I think there are only 3 hydrogen environment. One on each of those methyl group one on C next to methyl group on both side and another is all H in those CH2 group after CH3CH2 on both side
Weaselmoose
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I certainly do

As far as I remember, the three CH2 environments in the middle are all the same as they are all surrounded by a CH2 on either side so they are only counted as 1 environment
AS01
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Bord3r)
Looks right to me.
no there are only 3 environments. all those CH2 groups next to CH3CH2 are counted as one and two methyl on opposite end as one and H is CH2 next to methyl group on both side
F1's Finest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by LeaX)
Can [Cu(NH3)6]2+ form? I've seen in most textbooks and websites that only [Cu(NH3)4]2+ can form but in Jan 2013 for the transition metals question (14, a, C) it says [Cu(NH3)6]2+ as a potential answer?

(Original post by Weaselmoose)
In theory it can but only doesn't because the ammonia Ligands are slightly bigger than water Ligands so they can't fit around the Cu if there's 6.
Steric Hinderance, pretty much what Weaselmoose said
jojo1995
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by AS01)
I think there are only 3 hydrogen environment. One on each of those methyl group one on C next to methyl group on both side and another is all H in those CH2 group after CH3CH2 on both side

(Original post by Bord3r)
Looks right to me.

(Original post by Weaselmoose)
As far as I remember, the three CH2 environments in the middle are all the same as they are all surrounded by a CH2 on either side so they are only counted as 1 environment
you see in the jan 2013 finAL question ... i tried your approach but i got the answer wrong

thank you all guys for your responses ... i thought the same as you guys ... it seems you all have dfifferent opinions
i am so confused :?
AS01
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
you see in the jan 2013 finAL question ... i tried your approach but i got the answer wrong

thank you all guys for your responses ... i thought the same as you guys ... it seems you all have dfifferent opinions
i am so confused :?
Nope it does work by this way
jojo1995
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by AS01)
no there are only 3 environments. all those CH2 groups next to CH3CH2 are counted as one and two methyl on opposite end as one and H is CH2 next to methyl group on both side
Oh okay, are there 5 h environments then ?
jojo1995
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by AS01)
Nope it does work by this way
but there are 2 sets of 4 sets of ch2 groups down the bottom of the molecule,... i though they were all in one h envionment but it turns out there are 2 ... i dont get why though

becuase the 4 ch2 groups are all attatched to a ch2 group and a ch group so idk
AS01
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh okay, are there 5 h environments then ?
no no just 3. The one marked with same colour are one H environment
Attached files
Lastminutepanic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In the specification it says 'describe and carry out, where appropriate, the preparation of a compound, eg cholesteryl benzoate (a liquid crystal) and of methyl 3-nitrobenzoate, requiring some of the following techniques...' Do we need to know how to make cholesteryl benzoate and methyl 3-nitrobenzoate or just how to carry out the different techniques??
AS01
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
but there are 2 sets of 4 sets of ch2 groups down the bottom of the molecule,... i though they were all in one h envionment but it turns out there are 2 ... i dont get why though

becuase the 4 ch2 groups are all attatched to a ch2 group and a ch group so idk
if u look at the one which is projectiong out its in same environment as the one just below is coz they both are bonded to same group. Again if u look at another CH2 at the top plane t it is bonded to same groups as the one which is at the corner of the plane below. so they are in same environment
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.85%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.82%
I don't think they'd understand (50)
14.88%
It might lead to more bullying (128)
38.1%
There's nothing they could do (102)
30.36%

Watched Threads