Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Even when Chelsea went on their spending hype, they only spent about around 100mill.

70 mill is A LOT especially given we only need, at best, 3 pristine signings.
    Consider that right backs come for cheap. Jovetic coming in will be 25 mil tops and a DM and CB are the only main priorities. Oh and to buy a winger you'll have to sell one.

ReputationRep:
    If we sold Bendtner, Djourou, Chamakh,Park, Denilson and even Sagna, Vermaelen then we're be talking about closer to 100m available. Not that I think Wenger will spend that amount being the cautious Economics professor that he is.

What we desperately need is a world class striker and I really hope Wenger doesnt spread his budget too thin rather than just bringing in a small number of class players.

A dream window would be something like Lewandowski + Isco/Draxler + Kondogbia + Ashley Williams. If we could somehow get Cavani or Falcao to come then we should just pay as well but I cant see Wenger spending 38m on one player when hes never gone above 20m.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    If we sold Bendtner, Chamakh,Park, Denilson and even Sagna, Vermaelen then we're be talking about closer to 100m available. Not that I think Wenger will spend that amount.

What we desperately need is a world class striker and I really hope Wenger doesnt spread his budget too thin rather than just bringing in a small number of class players.
    Verm shouldn't be sold unless another CB is available. He's declined but you only have 3CB's for 2 positions.

Striker could be jovetic. I think only thing wenger needs now is quality players than players who do a job.

I don't think we'll sign an expensive defender unless we sell Vermaelen or something, tbh. :dontknow: If we're only selling Djourou, we'll probably get someone like him/a bit better to play 4th-choice, or get a promising youngster (and no, not like Sakho or Ogbonna :p:).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Tbf I did say 'over' 70mil
    Oh good point i missed that bit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    I don't think we'll sign an expensive defender unless we sell Vermaelen or something, tbh. :dontknow: If we're only selling Djourou, we'll probably get someone like him/a bit better to play 4th-choice, or get a promising youngster (and no, not like Sakho or Ogbonna :p:).
    Djouru would go for about 50mill.

ReputationRep:
    We need a viera-type player.

Carzola, wilshere,oxolade chamberlin,arteta are class.

Koscieleny is great, not so sure about the three others.

We just need a falcao, and two solid defenders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Verm shouldn't be sold unless another CB is available. He's declined but you only have 3CB's for 2 positions.

Striker could be jovetic. I think only thing wenger needs now is quality players than players who do a job.
    I've worshiped Varmaelen since his Ajax days, but I really think he personally needs a fresh challenge as much as we need something different at the back. He still has a big reputation as a classy defender so if we could find someone to pay 10m for him then I'd take it. Some of the Twitter ITKs have hinted that Vermaelen is on his way out. We could then sign someone like Ashley Williams as our 3rd choice option with some up and coming 20 year old as our reserve.

Someone suggested Sagna becoming our 4th choice CB as he was an absolute beast there vs Sunderland and has/had the attributes to be successful there but I dont see a player with his reputation/wages being content there

ReputationRep:
    If we sold Bendtner, Djourou, Chamakh,Park, Denilson and even Sagna, Vermaelen then we're be talking about closer to 100m available. Not that I think Wenger will spend that amount being the cautious Economics professor that he is.

A dream window would be something like Lewandowski + Isco/Draxler + Kondogbia + Ashley Williams. If we could somehow get Cavani or Falcao to come then we should just pay as well but I cant see Wenger spending 38m on one player when hes never gone above 20m.
    Lewondowski is class, he is also a more natural striker than walcott.

ReputationRep:

1998 -2004, our glory days.

Henry, Viera, Birdcamp, pires, seamon/lemon, campbell, cole, and other world-class players.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MENDACIUM)
    Lewondowski is class, he is also a more natural striker than walcott.
    He's unbelievable. If I squint its almost like watching RVP and he's still only 24.

Wenger should just slap 25m on the table and be done with it. Striker sorted for the next 6 years for a small fraction of our available kitty. Messing around with Jovetic worries me actually considering his goal return and the fact he's coming from Serie A...

I've worshiped Varmaelen since his Ajax days, but I really think he personally needs a fresh challenge as much as we need something different at the back. He still has a big reputation as a classy defender so if we could find someone to pay 10m for him then I'd take it. Some of the Twitter ITKs have hinted that Vermaelen is on his way out. We could then sign someone like Ashley Williams as our 3rd choice option with some up and coming 20 year old as our reserve.

Someone suggested Sagna becoming our 4th choice CB as he was an absolute beast there vs Sunderland and has/had the attributes to be successful there but I dont see a player with his reputation/wages being content there
    Tentatively agreed about Vermaelen (I wouldn't be unhappy with him in our squad next season, but would be more excited with a more promising player, especially if it's alongside someone like Williams). Completely agreed about Sagna. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    He's unbelievable. If I squint its almost like watching RVP and he's still only 24.

Wenger should just slap 25m on the table and be done with it. Striker sorted for the next 6 years for poker money compared with our cash reserves.
    I saw him against Madrid. Arsenal are sublime in the centre of the park but we lack incision in the final 1/3 sometimes. Lewondowski can make space very quickly and get into the positions we'd want him to.

Apparently, Lewondowski wants to go to a london club.

Chelski have baa, torres, and are on the hunt for falcao and cavani - maybe.

So fingers crossed.

Wenger should just slap 25m on the table and be done with it. Striker sorted for the next 6 years for poker money compared with our cash reserves.
    And some reports have suggested that Dortmund are 'desperate' for him to go to England (why England in particular I'm not sure) so that Bayern don't get him. ::holmes: As before, though, if he becomes available I don't think we'll get him. What little chance there was of that probably disappeared with those four goals against Madrid.

ReputationRep:
    And some reports have suggested that Dortmund are 'desperate' for him to go to England (why England in particular I'm not sure) so that Bayern don't get him. ::holmes: As before, though, if he becomes available I don't think we'll get him. What little chance there was of that probably disappeared with those four goals against Madrid.
    Well looking around Europe Chelsea, Real, Juve, AC Milan, City,PSG and Arsenal are all on the lookout for a striker. But Falcao/Cavani/Higuain/Gomez/Villa could all be on the move as well so we could be looking at a bit of a transfer merry go round.

Could see Lewandowski at Madrid tbh as they're flogging Higuain and they obviously saw him first hand but anythings possible. We can afford his wage demands and there was a 442 interview where he said he was an Arsenal fan growing up so who knows? Got Szczesny, Podolski, Fabianski here as well which would be attractive.

ReputationRep:

Please edit Ashley Williams out of this post. Going from Verm to Williams is a step back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Please edit Ashley Williams out of this post. Going from Verm to Williams is a step back.
    It looks like it's true. A couple of days ago, that AFCAMDEN guy tweeted that he's 90% sure we'll be signing a British CB this summer.

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal need to spend big this summer, because the rest of the top 4 are going to go HAM on the transfers. I think whoever lands Lewandowski will at least finish runners up next season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    Arsenal need to spend big this summer, because the rest of the top 4 are going to go HAM on the transfers. I think whoever lands Lewandowski will at least finish runners up next season.
    TBH, we could have won the title in the 08-10 seasons. I can't remember exactly,but we were number one with like 7-8 games to go roughly, and ended up bottling it.

Lets not forget, we lost against bayearn 3-1, and bayearn scored two sloppy goals. We then beat them 2-0.

This team has potential, but you're right, we need that final bolstering seal of approval with one or two smart but influential buys in the right places - our midfield is already world-class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Even when Chelsea went on their spending hype, they only spent about around 100mill.

70 mill is A LOT especially given we only need, at best, 3 pristine signings.
    ok we spend 60/70 on 3 prestige players but I think the money made from selling the dead wood should be given back to wenger to spend atleast. It also depends on what you mean by prestige, with 15mill you can get a wanyama or capoue but your never gonna buy javi martinez are you. Dont forget wenger managed to spent 50/60 mill on santos, arteta, metersacker, park chu young, gervinho and chamberlain out of which I think one was a very good buy.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.