The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

We looked comfortable and on top throughout.

People will raise eyebrows about the level of opposition, and suggest that we were up against a second rate side, but Klopp is embedding a culture of winning through the football club and his post-match comments were absolutely on the money. We need to learn to win - and we are now on three on the bounce.

I thought Sakho was really solid at the back, using his passing swiftly and adeptly. It even drew praise from Michael Owen on BT Sport at one stage. That was great to hear, given the lazy myth that he is reckless and uncomfortable with the ball at his feet.

Lovren also impressed me quietly, too. I do wonder whether he and Sakho should get a run together. In truth, there's no proof that Skrtel should be a staple in the heart of our defence. He is increasingly poor in the air, and he backs off, which surely can't help Lovren's game. I wonder if the pair of Lovren and Sakho (both French speakers along with Mignolet) could prove a decent unit.

I thought Allen (my man of the match), Ibe and Clyne were both excellent, actually. The latter got forward well, and seems to have grown into the club and he's really enjoying it. It was great to see the former off the mark with his first goal for the club. He has a lot of raw attributes which need fine tuning, but Klopp seems delighted with him and the pair have a real bond it would appear.

I think he can be a great player, but he has been hampered by the farcical suggestion that he has a higher ceiling than Raheem Sterling. He hadn't achieved anything - either an assist or a goal - when people were happy to see Sterling leave because Ibe could potentially replace him. He seemed to be at the heart of everything for us, getting forward incisively.

Firmino is starting to link up well with Benteke, who is getting better at demanding the ball up top. He seems to be relishing his opportunity to play for a top five club, actually. He really seems to be growing in stature with every game, and I'm delighted we signed him. Another one of our signings, Milner, has struggled thus far at times in this campaign but he also looked much improved last night.

The last twenty minutes or so was way, way more open that I was anticipating. I was a nervous customer at points, and that was largely because we hadn't sewn the game up. We had opportunities to, but the poverty of our final ball and our work in the final third was shoddy. It showed that we've become draw experts, given we were unable to capitalise on such a prolonged spell of dominance.

I hope the round trip to Russia doesn't have any adverse effects on our weekend performance against Palace, but we shall see.
Reply 1481
Original post by Mackay

Lovren also impressed me quietly, too. I do wonder whether he and Sakho should get a run together. In truth, there's no proof that Skrtel should be a staple in the heart of our defence. He is increasingly poor in the air, and he backs off, which surely can't help Lovren's game. I wonder if the pair of Lovren and Sakho (both French speakers along with Mignolet) could prove a decent unit.

Lovren has this really annoying tendency to step out for tackles extremely early and expose the space behind him. He misses his tackle and gets beat time and time again. What I did notice in the later stages of the game when he was doing that annoying step out from defense, a midfielder would track back and take up space behind him as a covering CB instead.

It's good that Klopp noticed his issues which is helping his game out. I'd rather him start than Skrtel too.
Original post by kuks
Lovren has this really annoying tendency to step out for tackles extremely early and expose the space behind him. He misses his tackle and gets beat time and time again. What I did notice in the later stages of the game when he was doing that annoying step out from defense, a midfielder would track back and take up space behind him as a covering CB instead.

It's good that Klopp noticed his issues which is helping his game out. I'd rather him start than Skrtel too.

Absolutely. I think the comments Gerrard made in his autobiography were interesting. He slated a fair few of his past teammates, and even current members of the Liverpool squad, but he said that he was sure Lovren had the ability to succeed at Anfield and that it was just a matter of time until he did so.
Original post by Mackay
Absolutely. I think the comments Gerrard made in his autobiography were interesting. He slated a fair few of his past teammates, and even current members of the Liverpool squad, but he said that he was sure Lovren had the ability to succeed at Anfield and that it was just a matter of time until he did so.

I think he just needs a prolonged run with Sakho.
He needs to feel like he won't get thrown out of the squad for any performance that isn't perfect.
If he isn't comfortable or confident in himself, he's gonna make a mistake and the vicious cycle will continue.

Would be amazing if Lovren actually turned out decent.
Then we'd only need to buy a LB and we'd be all set!!
Original post by Lúcio

Then we'd only need to buy a LB and we'd be all set!!

Moreno's fast becoming my favourite Instagrammer, after Jose Enrique's retirement.
Main reason why Lovren and Skirtle looked so bad together is because one likes to step out and the other likes to drop back. Klopps likes his defenders to play a higher line that even ****ing Skirtle is starting play higher. Lovren has a good opportunity to get himself back on the starting lineup with a system that suits him better, needs to cut out the mistakes though but he's done alright so far.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by samir12
Main reason why Lovren and Skirtle looked so bad together is because one likes to step out and the other likes to drop back. Klopps likes his defenders to play higher line that even ****ing Skirtle is starting play higher. Lovren has a good opportunity to get himself back on the starting lineup with a system that his preferrable to him, needs to cut out the mistakes though but he's done alright so far.

Well whoever plays in that RCB position will have absolute quality defenders either side of them so there's no need for them to get all worked up and worried.
Like I've said before, we have some great components for a solid defence but it's up to Klopp and the players to make it all come together.
Sakho's left footed so it makes more sense for him to stay at LCB with his passing ability (rather he was more comfortable when passing out).

That means it's up to Lovren to adjust to RCB or get sold next summer. I imagine he's on far too high wages to remain as 3rd CB while being shocking at times and not getting a run in the side to prove himself.
Skrtel does a lot of things well, but not enough things great.
Original post by Mackay

That's exactly how I'd define him a a player.

Lovren definitely has the potential to reach the kind of level we desire however we can't afford to sit around for too long and wait for him to turn good.
Lovren has been here well over a year now. All he's shown is that he knows how to be a liability.

Rather he got shown the door than Skrtel frankly.
Original post by Zerforax
Lovren has been here well over a year now. All he's shown is that he knows how to be a liability.

Skrtel hasn't got age on his side, though.

Original post by Lúcio
That's exactly how I'd define him a a player.

He's the centre-back version of Giroud.

Well the options are either develop Lovren or buy a quality CB. That needs to happen before the start of next season.

The problem is who is good enough that will actually come?
We could try to get excited about the possibility of Hummels but regardless of his links to Klopp, he's very committed to Dortmund and he could do better than Liverpool anyway.
Original post by Mackay
Skrtel hasn't got age on his side, though.

He's the centre-back version of Giroud.

He's turning 31 in 6 weeks. Hardly the end of the world for a CB - we can get at least a couple more seasons out of him. Skrtel rarely has had injury problems and he doesn't rely on his pace.

Original post by Lúcio
Well the options are either develop Lovren or buy a quality CB. That needs to happen before the start of next season.

The problem is who is good enough that will actually come?
We could try to get excited about the possibility of Hummels but regardless of his links to Klopp, he's very committed to Dortmund and he could do better than Liverpool anyway.

You can't polish a turd. We might be able to throw some glitter on it though?

Klopp is always going to bring in half a dozen players+ in the summer to make the squad more into what he wants. I imagine we'll let K.Toure go too so we might have to buy 2 CBs (assuming we don't give Ilori/Wisdom the 4th CB spot).

We'll need a LB and a RB too. Potentially a new GK but Mignolet doing okay so far.

I imagine we'll need one or two CMs and maybe a winger.

But otherwise we're fine :awesome:

Lovren's lucky that he's basically got most of a season to prove himself to Klopp. If Klopp had joined in the summer, he might have sold him straight away for funds. Klopp so far has been favouring Skrtel so Lovren is obviously still doing something wrong/not good enough.
Provided injured players makes a full recovery I don't think klopp needs a shopping cart. Plus, you have likes of Markovic, Llori and whoever on loans.

Maybe one or two player at most.

Klopp is always going to bring in half a dozen players+ in the summer to make the squad more into what he wants. I imagine we'll let K.Toure go too so we might have to buy 2 CBs (assuming we don't give Ilori/Wisdom the 4th CB spot).

The more I think about the lack of defensive options at full-back, the more I want us to have kept Wisdom for the season.
Original post by Mackay

It's actually the other way around. He does a specific set of things very well and most things very badly.
I don't think I'll ever not worry about Palace, to be honest. The last few seasons has made me ever-frightful of them, I think.

I hope we deal with their pace well, because obviously out wide they have the ability to really get at us. They can score at any point and boast a lot of energy, so I can't see us wrapping the game up at any point.

I think it'll be close right until the end.
Original post by Mackay
I don't think I'll ever not worry about Palace, to be honest. The last few seasons has made me ever-frightful of them, I think.

I hope we deal with their pace well, because obviously out wide they have the ability to really get at us. They can score at any point and boast a lot of energy, so I can't see us wrapping the game up at any point.

I think it'll be close right until the end.

Yeah I agree - we've struggled to close out games and Palace will push us right to the very end. They know they're our bogey team so they're gonna be up for it.

Sunday is a really big day though - ideally Arsenal can beat Spurs which gives us a great opportunity to get level on them in points.
Original post by Lúcio
Yeah I agree - we've struggled to close out games and Palace will push us right to the very end. They know they're our bogey team so they're gonna be up for it.

Sunday is a really big day though - ideally Arsenal can beat Spurs which gives us a great opportunity to get level on them in points.

Do we want Spurs to lose or is a draw better for us?

I think Palace are missing all of their strikers which might help us?

Latest