Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennyisabutton)
    Hii, I've got the same layout at you.
    So in the research section i've put other people's findings etc, like book references, useful quotes etc, then commented on the reliability and validity of their research, and how this links to what I'm hoping to find, like whether it supports what i'm hoping to find.
    Then in the discussion bit i've put my own research, so findings from questionnaires that i've done and i've included a timeline. Obviously yours will be different and you won't include those exactly. But basically you've got to outline the main points for and against, and state your point of view. Then critically evaluate both arguments and ta-daa.

Hope that helps
    Thanks What have you put in the Introduction part? I've been told it's not like a normal introduction, got to talk about why you want to do it or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mellie220)
    Thanks What have you put in the Introduction part? I've been told it's not like a normal introduction, got to talk about why you want to do it or something?
    It is just a normal introduction.
    You should mention any formatting that isn't straightforward. For example, a lot of my terms are Spanish words, so I have pointed out that these are defined in the glossary (Appendix B).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexmagpie)
    This is a really cool idea - I'm really interested in the trans movement too (wrote half my general studies paper on trans equality, oops).

You can either do a 5,000 word essay, or an 'artefact' + a 1,000 word report. You could maybe make a documentary of your experiences?
    I get the feeling my lack of cisgenderedness may endanger the objective of my one. I may have to tweak it. Considering it's not queerness and meet-ups that hold this forum together it's surprisingly like QYN or QYUK.

I'm thinking I'll document it through some sort of diary, but my friend suggested I film it so that might be a good idea.

I did a similar thing in my exam- I wrote 3 pages on the difficulties faced by sexual minorities under the regime in Iran. I got a U in my further maths qualification!
    :rant:

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, im doing 'to what extent are herbal remedies useful' and am totally stuck on the intro!!! HELP??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alesha17)
    Hey guys, im doing 'to what extent are herbal remedies useful' and am totally stuck on the intro!!! HELP??
    You could maybe talk about the popularity (or not) of herbal remedies, possibly in comparison to normal medicine. Maybe mention particularly well-known ones. Maybe the definition of a herbal remedy.
    Just some thoughts-hope they're helpful

ReputationRep:
    My title is: Did religious conflict dictate foreign affairs during the reign of Elizabeth I?

I decided to talk about specific events and the part religious conflict and other factors played in them. So far i have three events. Do you think that's the right amount? (I'm looking fine word count wise as I have a section on religion that's part of my intro)

ReputationRep:
    My title is going to be, I think, 'Does the way a party and its leader are portrayed in the media have more effect on 16-18 year olds than the policy of the party?'

They assigned me a media teacher instead of a politics teacher, so this has not, as such, got off to a good start.

Add in the fact I'm already freaking out, they won't let us change our teachers and I really don't know if I can write enough about this, and I'm considering not doing the qualification at all!

I want to do a topic involving media and politics. Anyone got any ideas or comments about my proposed question or a new one?

ReputationRep:
    So basically i have the chance to do the Extended Qualification Project (EPQ). i plan to be a media lawyer, and work in the music industry.
    So as expected, i want to do something on that.
    but i am going to take economics and politics at uni first, so i want to come up with a question that might involve one or both of the two... but if you have got ideas for just something to do with music that will be cool.

If anyone here has links to someone in the music business, please reply!

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mellie220)

This is what info i was given as to what to put in the intro:
    The introduction should include an explanation of, and rational for, the project title, an identification of the controversial aspects of the title and of the relevant literature/data sources and explanations of key terms (perhaps given in a glossary) and analytical techniques that will be used in the project. This will be based mainly on work learners produced for the project proposal.

So in mine I've put why i chose to do an EPQ and how it links to what i'm learning and what i want to do in the future (mine is linked to business, so it links with alevel business and i want to study business at uni so...).
    Then I've explained my project title, which is pretty self-explanatory anyway, but you've got to be really obvious.
    I've put what i hope to achieve in the project, so the points you put down in the proposal (e.g. i want to define this and carry out a questionnaire/case study etc.)
    Then explained controversial aspects, like the opposing opinions about the subject your doing. So mine is some people think a recession will kill of a small business, but others think small businesses can thrive in a recession.

Anymore questions feel free to ask away

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think about this title "How does the music industry affect society and the individuals within it?"

Please let me know!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennyisabutton)
    This is what info i was given as to what to put in the intro:
    The introduction should include an explanation of, and rational for, the project title, an identification of the controversial aspects of the title and of the relevant literature/data sources and explanations of key terms (perhaps given in a glossary) and analytical techniques that will be used in the project. This will be based mainly on work learners produced for the project proposal.

So in mine I've put why i chose to do an EPQ and how it links to what i'm learning and what i want to do in the future (mine is linked to business, so it links with alevel business and i want to study business at uni so...).
    Then I've explained my project title, which is pretty self-explanatory anyway, but you've got to be really obvious.
    I've put what i hope to achieve in the project, so the points you put down in the proposal (e.g. i want to define this and carry out a questionnaire/case study etc.)
    Then explained controversial aspects, like the opposing opinions about the subject your doing. So mine is some people think a recession will kill of a small business, but others think small businesses can thrive in a recession.

Anymore questions feel free to ask away
    I wrote mine and it pretty much sounds about right (I haven't written about how it links to what I want to do though).
    Thanks for the insight on that
    Sorry to ask but what have you put in the Research part? I haven't got a great varitaion of sources (because it's history based) so I'm finding kind of hard to write it

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I was thinking about a few things to do with EPQ, I couldn't find the answers anywhere really...
    1. If you decide to 'drop' EPQ then does the Uni see this?
    2. If you decide to move the presentation/ deadline back (say to november instead of may) then can you still include the fact you're doing EPQ on your UCAS application, what do Uni's think of this?
    3. Do all college's/ sixth forms offer EPQ or another "X" block subject....is this really fair for students of college's that don't?
    Any comments appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pavthechav)
    Hi,
    I was thinking about a few things to do with EPQ, I couldn't find the answers anywhere really...
    1. If you decide to 'drop' EPQ then does the Uni see this?
    2. If you decide to move the presentation/ deadline back (say to november instead of may) then can you still include the fact you're doing EPQ on your UCAS application, what do Uni's think of this?
    3. Do all college's/ sixth forms offer EPQ or another "X" block subject....is this really fair for students of college's that don't?
    Any comments appreciated!
    1. No, unless you apply to uni whilst you are still doing it, and put it on your UCAS form. Then you will have to tell the universities you've dropped it.
    2. Yes, they won't care when you do it, all schools do it at different times, we just had to submit ours by December. Others do it in May. It doesn't matter, all it means is that when you apply, you won't yet have your results, but your teacher will have predicted you a grade instead.
    3. No they don't, around 800 schools in the country do it, but I assume that number will increase every year. I suppose it isn't really fair on students at other schools, as people who do the EPQ can get lower offers for uni!

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    So I've been told I need to have a properly structured question/title soon, and I've been thinking:

'Gender Identity in 21st Century Britain' -this is my preferred one as it leaves things open.

'Is Gender Fluid?'-what my teacher wants me to call it, but this is a much more subjective question, and although mine is I know most people feel one gender all the time, so I'd rather avoid it.

'Male, Female or Other: What Defines Our Gender?' is also fairly nice and open.

'The Gender Binary' could be another one, but I'm not so sure...

Any thoughts?

@pavthechav: No, not all schools do; it's the first year of ours. And yes, it does seem a bit unfair. A friend of mine is doing at his school; he simply asked for a teacher to be his supervisor and for the school to submit his project and they said yes, so he's basically organised it himself really.

ReputationRep:
    When I eventually come to do my A2 levels, I also want to do an extended project on the Boeing 777, having the title be just that, or would it have to be narrowed down, to say the Boeing 777-300ER, which is an individual variant. Would this be suitable, considering I have a passion for airplanes, even though it has nothing to do with my A-levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colourless-Rainbow)
    My title is going to be, I think, 'Does the way a party and its leader are portrayed in the media have more effect on 16-18 year olds than the policy of the party?'

They assigned me a media teacher instead of a politics teacher, so this has not, as such, got off to a good start.

Add in the fact I'm already freaking out, they won't let us change our teachers and I really don't know if I can write enough about this, and I'm considering not doing the qualification at all!

I want to do a topic involving media and politics. Anyone got any ideas or comments about my proposed question or a new one?
    Don't worry about your teacher. I had a classics and French teacher supervise my project on autism, and I didn't suffer for it at all. It was actually pretty cool, as it got me thinking more broadly, and we sort of learned about the topic together. Your teacher really isn't supposed to help you much with the content anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Youssii)
    So I've been told I need to have a properly structured question/title soon, and I've been thinking:

'Gender Identity in 21st Century Britain' -this is my preferred one as it leaves things open.

'Is Gender Fluid?'-what my teacher wants me to call it, but this is a much more subjective question, and although mine is I know most people feel one gender all the time, so I'd rather avoid it.

'Male, Female or Other: What Defines Our Gender?' is also fairly nice and open.

'The Gender Binary' could be another one, but I'm not so sure...

Any thoughts?

@pavthechav: No, not all schools do; it's the first year of ours. And yes, it does seem a bit unfair. A friend of mine is doing at his school; he simply asked for a teacher to be his supervisor and for the school to submit his project and they said yes, so he's basically organised it himself really.

Male, Female or Other: What Defines Our Gender? <-- i do like the sound of that one. it is open and can bring in a lot of different aspects which is good for the evaluation part.
    good luck, im starting mine in june!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to you too! We're in the planning stage now, but the main research is done in the summer 'holidays'.

I think the best thing about mine is that it allows me to just have a normal holiday, just wearing a binder. I'd hate to have to spend it researching British imperialism(actually, it sounds quite interesting, but I'm lazy.)

I think doing this is a great opportunity to have experiences you might otherwise not have. My other ideas we to be homeless for a week, or living rough in the wild.
    Tbh I wish I could do all of them, but O'd be scared, so...(not the being trans is much safer then living on the street, but I intend to be surrounded by other friendly and/or trans people who I assume wont hurt me)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Youssii)
    Good luck to you too! We're in the planning stage now, but the main research is done in the summer 'holidays'.

I think the best thing about mine is that it allows me to just have a normal holiday, just wearing a binder. I'd hate to have to spend it researching British imperialism(actually, it sounds quite interesting, but I'm lazy.)

I think doing this is a great opportunity to have experiences you might otherwise not have. My other ideas we to be homeless for a week, or living rough in the wild.
    Tbh I wish I could do all of them, but O'd be scared, so...(not the being trans is much safer then living on the street, but I intend to be surrounded by other friendly and/or trans people who I assume wont hurt me)
    Haha thanks

mine is about the effect music has on society, individuals and politics; i cant wait to get started!
    yeah ours is in the "holidays" too... but hopefully my mum takes me to new york so i can do some research there

ReputationRep:
    Please could you fill out my survey monkey questionnaire, here is the link: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MG58KTC

Thank you to anyone who does it, I appreciate it! It is for my EPQ (Extended Project Qualification) and shouldn't take very long.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.