OFFICIAL OCR A2 Biology - F214 Thread Watch

CreativeBass
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by imfailingbadly)
pregnancy testing anyone?! explain please...
A few pages back there is a summary..

however, for my own testing, i'll recall what I know:

A pregnant woman secretes a hormone called human chorionic gonadotrophin (hCG).
This enters the urine because it is small so not blocked by basement membrane.
The pregnancy kit has monoclonal antibodies that bind only to the hCG to form a hCG-antibody complex. This travels up the stick and binds to the immobolised antibodies, in one place to form a blue line. There is also another line; control region for comparision of colour and to make sure preg. kit is working.
ibysaiyan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by clad in armour)
wtf this is really getting on my tits now, how the hell can NAD pick up a PAIR of hydrogens off Citrate
and for that matter do we have to know everything in the cycle
I guess you are talking about respiration and to be specific , link- krebs cycle?well we dont need to know much detail , i can put it down but
per cycle:
2 co2 given out:
3 red. nad made
1 fad made.
loveisjustasong
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by CreativeBass)
Its in one of the OCR books, but tbh i think its just extra information.
If they give a question on nicotine for eg, they'll tell us what it does, and ask us to explain the effect.
Its not something we need to know, don't worry
I remember doing a question on that, and we were told that it was taken out of the spec.
Tinkerbelle ♥
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by I Have No Imagination)
Who else is doing an all nighter tonight? :sigh:
:eek:

Bad idea.
Do you not watch The Inbetweeners?!
loveisjustasong
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ibysaiyan)
More you know the better, who knows what if a question comes on explain ermm inhibition of synapses.There are past papers where its come up.
It's been taken off the syllabus. The textbook may just explain it cos they do that sometimes. I doubt a question like that would come up
clad in armour
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I guess you are talking about respiration and to be specific , link- krebs cycle?well we dont need to know much detail , i can put it down but
per cycle:
2 co2 given out:
3 red. nad made
1 fad made.
krebs, so all we have to know is the products :confused: the spec just says "outline the krebs cycle" how vague is that!
ibysaiyan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
A few pages back there is a summary..

however, for my own testing, i'll recall what I know:

A pregnant woman secretes a hormone called human chorionic gonadotrophin (hCG).
This enters the urine because it is small so not blocked by basement membrane.
The pregnancy kit has monoclonal antibodies that bind only to the hCG to form a hCG-antibody complex. This travels up the stick and binds to the immobolised antibodies, in one place to form a blue line. There is also another line; control region for comparision of colour and to make sure preg. kit is working.
You also need to mention about the HCG-Gold-antibody specific immobilised antibodies which are in the Patient Test result Region up , top of the dipstick, then there is naother set of immobilised antibodies which bind to antibody-gold complex when HCG isn't binded to them, this is in the Procedural Control Region , indicating negative result.
CreativeBass
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
I remember doing a question on that, and we were told that it was taken out of the spec.
Ye its not in the spec, i only know it because i read it, doubt it would come up.
BHAM!
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by imfailingbadly)
pregnancy testing anyone?! explain please...
Pregnancy Testing:

The urine of a pregnant woman contains the hormone HCG
The application area of a test kit contains monoclonal antibodies for HCG attached to gold atoms
When dipped in urine HCG binds to antibodies and urine moves HCG-antibody-gold complex down to test strip area
The test strip area contains immobilised antibodies for the HCG-antibody-gold complex. If HCG was present in the urine the complex would attach to immoblisied antibodies and area would turn pink as gold atoms concentrated in that area.
If no HCG in urine then antibody-gold complex moves on without binding so area does not turn pink

Theres also a procedural control region that chnages colour just to indicate that the kit is working.

Hope it helps!
CreativeBass
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You also need to mention about the HCG-Gold-antibody specific immobilised antibodies which are in the Patient Test result Region up , top of the dipstick, then there is naother set of immobilised antibodies which bind to antibody-gold complex when HCG isn't binded to them, this is in the Procedural Control Region , indicating negative result.

Thank you for that
loveisjustasong
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ye its not in the spec, i only know it because i read it, doubt it would come up.
same
last year in was in the spec
ibysaiyan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by clad in armour)
krebs, so all we have to know is the products :confused: the spec just says "outline the krebs cycle" how vague is that!
yes, in much detail about how many ATP produced also to note that krebs cycle is the recycling of oxaloacetate to a 6 carbon compound , which keeps on going as long as Acetyl CoA gets the acetate groups to it.
ibysaiyan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thank you for that
Np=)
Summerdays
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No questions?
aiden1234
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi everyone, new here but have been following - its a great revision tool!! Just for my own peace of mind, does this sound correct to everyone?

Alcohol (Ethanol) is detoxified in the liver because it is toxic to the body.
Ethanol is converted to Ethanal, reducing NAD.
Ethanal is converted to Ethanoic acid (Acetate), again reducing NAD.

These occur under the presence of the enzyme Dehydrogenase. The acetate can then be respired when combined with CoA in the Krebs cycle.

Can someone also tell me whether hydogens are added or removed in Anaerobic Respiration (both lactate and yeast)
ibysaiyan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Summerdays)
No questions?
Well i am out of questions anyways for your sake xD
Describe the structure of Chloroplast
What are photosynthetic pigments, Accessory pigments, Difference between cholorphyll a and B
clad in armour
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
yes we do need to know that but only the fact that HCG antibodies are complexed with coloured granules, with a test and control
c blue t blue = preggers
c blue t not blue = you used a condom
c not blue t not blue = you just wasted £(insert how much pregancy tests cost here)
imfailingbadly
Report 8 years ago
Thanks for help on pregnancy tests

Do we need to know the experiments for photosynthesis & respiration?!
ibysaiyan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by aiden1234)
Hi everyone, new here but have been following - its a great revision tool!! Just for my own peace of mind, does this sound correct to everyone?

These occur under the presence of the enzyme Dehydrogenase. The acetate can then be respired when combined with CoA in the Krebs cycle.

Can someone also tell me whether hydogens are added or removed in Anaerobic Respiration (both lactate and yeast)
well depends in Yeast Pruvic acid or pyruvate converts into ethanal by getting decraboxylased and removing Hydrogen.
imfailingbadly
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by aiden1234)

That's correct and hydrogens are lost - the reduced NAD from glycolsis is used in anaerobic respiration, so the hydrogen must be lost as the NAD is reduced...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1618)
79.2%
Leave (425)
20.8%

Watched Threads