Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NFL talk? Questions about American football? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott129)
    Haha, just going on what other people have said.
    What position you play?
    RB mainly. Played LB/FB at youth and I help out at LB at uni sometimes but were not big on guys playing both ways

ReputationRep:
    I think we did really well this year after playing three games and only getting kit in early feb and playin all three before the end of march.

We have many experienced players joining us this year.

I came down to staffs two years ago to scrimmage you guys with the tyrants and you lot were piss poor (as were most of our players).

We are a program that is on the up, where staffs is plunging down the standings year on year, as far as nobody remembers that you were in a final a few years ago.

Please find me on the field next year, ill prob be #34 at FB.

Niall

MMU Eagles
    Manchester titans
    Manchester Tyrants
    Brighton Tsunami

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the dancing bear)
    I think we did really well this year after playing three games and only getting kit in early feb and playin all three before the end of march.

We have many experienced players joining us this year.

I came down to staffs two years ago to scrimmage you guys with the tyrants and you lot were piss poor (as were most of our players).

We are a program that is on the up, where staffs is plunging down the standings year on year, as far as nobody remembers that you were in a final a few years ago.

Please find me on the field next year, ill prob be #34 at FB.

Niall

MMU Eagles
    Manchester titans
    Manchester Tyrants
    Brighton Tsunami
    Steady on a bit pal.

First of all, you said you came down 2 years ago. Not last week, 2 years ago. We could have improved, we might have got worse. From what I've been told, we had a bad year last year, a few players injured and a difficullt schedule.
    Secondly, no-one knows who we'll get in the coming year besides myself. A good crop of players could do wonders.

I will see you on the field next year, hopefully at wide receiver. May the best team win.

ReputationRep:
    :jerry:

ReputationRep:
    I scored a TD at the weekend guys, check it out, and note the extra special commentary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgegabriel)
    I scored a TD at the weekend guys, check it out, and note the extra special commentary

Nice run, helped by some **** tackling! Cambridgeshire Cats? Do you know Elliott Hill?
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Arguments are occurring :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    how do you guys watch games in the uk?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bob dylan)
    If watching legally on tv games are shown on skysports 4, espn and channel 4. If watching illegaly there used to be numerous streams but since homeland security seized them they're hard to find.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingkev)
    If watching legally on tv games are shown on skysports 4, espn and channel 4. If watching illegaly there used to be numerous streams but since homeland security seized them they're hard to find.
    I havn't got ESPN, and I don't think I've ever seen it on on sky sports 4 or channel 4.. I'll look out for it from now on though

Do you know the links to any of the streams?

ReputationRep:
    I havn't got ESPN, and I don't think I've ever seen it on on sky sports 4 or channel 4.. I'll look out for it from now on though

Do you know the links to any of the streams?
    The only stream I know of was western sports tv, but it was taken down. If you do a google search you'll probably find a fair few.

I generally just watch from the channels I listed. Skysports normally show two games in succession on a Sunday night. I think channel 4 used to have rights way back in the day, then got shifted to channel 5 and then last season went back to channel 4.

ReputationRep:
    I use stream2watch. It has most sports on there, it's also where I watch baseball and hockey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgegabriel)

EPIC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jk49)
    Yeah thats another problem for me I don't really get the tactics and as I don't regularly watch a game I tend to forget what I picked up in the previous game.

Perhaps if I studied the tactics I'd enjoy it more, it can't be that bad if so many people like it tbh.

When they (the commentators) talk about one teams offence is it a different set of players to the defence? or are they just talking about what the team is doing at that time? (does this question make sense lol) because when I do watch/listen to the commentary it seems that each team takes it in turns for offence and defence and a different set of players is used for each. If you have no idea what I'm on about just ignore this tbh.

Think I'll try and properly get into it next season.
    I will explain it very simply.

The offense and the defense have different players. The offense plays against the other teams defense. The offense (obviously) tries to score, and the defense tries to stop them. The offense has 4 attempts (called 'downs') to advance a minimum of 10 yards. If they get past the first down marker (which marks ten yards from the snap, i.e where they need to get to) they get another set of 4 downs.

Usually on 4th down, unless they desperately need to score, or they only have a few inches to go and are confident, they will either punt the ball away (like a clearing kick in rugby), or kick a field goal for 3 points (a kick from the ground between the posts. like a drop kick but with a holder).

You're right, after the downs are over, or the team has scored, then each team swaps their offense for their defense and the other team tries to score.

Obviously, you can either run for a touchdown (as shown in an embedded youtube video on the previous page of this thread), or they can pass it into the endzone.

That's basically it. The other bits will come to you over time. Need any more info then ask me or someone else in the thread

ReputationRep:
    In addition to what The Patriot has said above, there is a third set of players known as "special teams" who come on for punts, field goals and kickoffs. These are generally backups for the offense and defense. Good special teams play is one way for lesser-known players to get a shot on offense or defense.

ReputationRep:
    My dad absolutely loves this, he's an Oakland Raiders fan and some of it has rubbed off on me :P

It's normally on sky sports 2, and sometimes channel 4 (or 5). Superbowl is on BBC and sky sports (dad prefers sky sports for the John Maddem commentary, sort of like the andy gray of old)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jampolo)
    dad prefers sky sports for the John Maddem commentary, sort of like the andy gray of old
    John Madden retired after the 2008/9 season. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedgeman49)
    John Madden retired after the 2008/9 season. :p:
    shows how long its been since i watched a game then

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone going to the London game this year, if there is one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gerard_G)
    Is anyone going to the London game this year, if there is one?
    Yeah, should be. Are you?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.