Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

22 August 2013 GCSE results: Discussion thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theroyalwe)
    ooo, I did Medicine too, but instead of Germany I did American West, so boring. What did you do your coursework on?
    "How useful is Thornbury Castle when studying the development of castles from 1066-c.1550?"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghost_rebel)
    I did OCR did u do the schools history project?my topics were germany nd medicine throught time!
    That's the same as me :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Molly_xox)
    *hi-five*

I'm a Murphy, haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Where are your Irish family from?

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please help me out with my English GCSE? I've been panicking myself over this all summer:/ I keep thinking I've failed English
    Firstly I have concerns over the unit one which is a comprehension with 4 questions. The first 3 I used 8-10 quotes for each, I am worried as many of my classmates have only used quotations for the third question.

Unit 2 I am extremely worried about

The first question was to write a letter to the BBC who are looking for teenagers to appear in a program about their hobbies and interests. These are what I done
    - I wrote I am a outcast and I often get bullied for my " gothic " dress sense and this will appeal to audiences as I can give my point of view about how adults encourage children to be unique but they do not realize how hard teenage life actually is.
    - I wrote about my insert in music such as Marilyn Manson and I explained how he is seen as the "poster boy for evil" but infact his songs are just covers etc and people judge him by his image. I then went on to say audiences would find this intersting as a large majority of adults pre judge celebrity's who are not mainstream etc
    - I then wrote about concerts and how many adults view them as a dangerous place as it is full of drugs and alcohol etc. I then went on to say how these places are a safe environment as security check all bags and are at ever Connor along with paramedics to help if anyone Does get injured. I wrote that this would appeal to parents as it will inform them about what environments these places are etc
    - I also wrote about my hobby of video gaming and how they do not corrupt children's minds and they are good to help children escape from the reality and pressure of GCSES and it also helps them relax. I also included to only by games of the right age certificate too.
    - I wrote my final paragraph on my school life and to what extent I get bullied and how teachers ignore outcasts such as myself etc. I wrote this would be ideal for me to be on this television show as it could help teachers beat bullying.

My second question was to write a speech on discussing how the government want all children to stay in school/college until they are 18
    For this I wrote
    - adults say school days are the best days of their life and explain why they feel it
    - how people who stay in school will have better jobs meaning not working in the fast food industry
    - I wrote about how they would receive EMA and how they can spend that money on video games but not to tell teachers etc.
    - I wrote about school food and how they'd get to see their friends daily unlike if they were working.
    -'i also wrote about how they are able to call teachers by first names and dress uniquely and then are able to be treated like adults etc.

Thank you for reading this , sorry I am
    Just working myself up so much as without a C in this exam I am unable to get into college.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by radhikagulati)
    did anyone do ocr 21st century science b7 c7 p7 OR english lit unit 1 aqa?xxx
    I did ocr 21st century science b7 c7 p7 and english lit unit 1 aqa :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Basket case)
    Can someone please help me out with my English GCSE? I've been panicking myself over this all summer:/ I keep thinking I've failed English
    Firstly I have concerns over the unit one which is a comprehension with 4 questions. The first 3 I used 8-10 quotes for each, I am worried as many of my classmates have only used quotations for the third question.

Unit 2 I am extremely worried about

The first question was to write a letter to the BBC who are looking for teenagers to appear in a program about their hobbies and interests. These are what I done
    - I wrote I am a outcast and I often get bullied for my " gothic " dress sense and this will appeal to audiences as I can give my point of view about how adults encourage children to be unique but they do not realize how hard teenage life actually is.
    - I wrote about my insert in music such as Marilyn Manson and I explained how he is seen as the "poster boy for evil" but infact his songs are just covers etc and people judge him by his image. I then went on to say audiences would find this intersting as a large majority of adults pre judge celebrity's who are not mainstream etc
    - I then wrote about concerts and how many adults view them as a dangerous place as it is full of drugs and alcohol etc. I then went on to say how these places are a safe environment as security check all bags and are at ever Connor along with paramedics to help if anyone Does get injured. I wrote that this would appeal to parents as it will inform them about what environments these places are etc
    - I also wrote about my hobby of video gaming and how they do not corrupt children's minds and they are good to help children escape from the reality and pressure of GCSES and it also helps them relax. I also included to only by games of the right age certificate too.
    - I wrote my final paragraph on my school life and to what extent I get bullied and how teachers ignore outcasts such as myself etc. I wrote this would be ideal for me to be on this television show as it could help teachers beat bullying.

My second question was to write a speech on discussing how the government want all children to stay in school/college until they are 18
    For this I wrote
    - adults say school days are the best days of their life and explain why they feel it
    - how people who stay in school will have better jobs meaning not working in the fast food industry
    - I wrote about how they would receive EMA and how they can spend that money on video games but not to tell teachers etc.
    - I wrote about school food and how they'd get to see their friends daily unlike if they were working.
    -'i also wrote about how they are able to call teachers by first names and dress uniquely and then are able to be treated like adults etc.

Thank you for reading this , sorry I am
    Just working myself up so much as without a C in this exam I am unable to get into college.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey I've used quotes for all of them too. My teacher said just use quotation to back up your claims. That's why it's comprehension; write what you've understood. And it is a universal norm to back up anything you've said with facts and quotes.

For the first unit 2 question as long as you've acknowledge the adult's point of of view about concerts then you're most likely to be okay. Also you must have different sentence structures like simple, compound and complex. Also it would be good if you added a bit of your story or even a make up one just to give that 'reassuring' feeling to the adult. But hey as long as your grammar and punctuation are good then you're going to be fine! Some humour added to it would be fine too!

Same goes to the second question I suppose. Don't fret about it, you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hs1var19)
    Hey I've used quotes for all of them too. My teacher said just use quotation to back up your claims. That's why it's comprehension; write what you've understood. And it is a universal norm to back up anything you've said with facts and quotes.

For the first unit 2 question as long as you've acknowledge the adult's point of of view about concerts then you're most likely to be okay. Also you must have different sentence structures like simple, compound and complex. Also it would be good if you added a bit of your story or even a make up one just to give that 'reassuring' feeling to the adult. But hey as long as your grammar and punctuation are good then you're going to be fine! Some humour added to it would be fine too!

Same goes to the second question I suppose. Don't fret about it, you'll be fine!

Thanks it's just played on my mind all year and i included the adults view on every question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Every point I mean(:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Basket case)
    Thanks it's just played on my mind all year and i included the adults view on every question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Me too! 20 more days till judgement day haha. What are you planning to do in college anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh snaaaaaap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toriar)
    I did ocr 21st century science b7 c7 p7 and english lit unit 1 aqa :P
    how did you think they went? I need high C's/Low Bs to get an A* overall but im really scared i haven't even got that? What do you think the grade boundaries will be? I think biology will have the highest and physics the lowest grade boundaries, i'm really hoping it is around 26 for a B but that is pretty low!

oh god the english lit...the questions were alright (tkam and the crucible) but i panicked:/ i need a low a in this exam to get an a* overall, and with last year's grade boundaries i need 19/30 in each essay (and 8 spag marks) so hopefully grade boundaries will be similar, but i have a feeling they will be higher because people found it easy and michael gove

how were the rest of your exams?

xxx

ReputationRep:
    did anyone do the ocr latin exam or aqa german? those are definitely the ones i am most scared about!
    I did aqa german and lets just say the past papers were easier than the paper itself :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saywhatyoumean)
    I did aqa german and lets just say the past papers were easier than the paper itself :P
    eurgh ikr! the reading wasn't too bad- i think i lost a few marks on the last question

but oh god the listening, i was just guessing the whole thing :/ hopefully the two will balance out

how did you find it?

i think it might be 36/45 for an A* in reading and 28-30/40 for an A* in listening, what do you think? xxx

ReputationRep:
    eurgh ikr! the reading wasn't too bad- i think i lost a few marks on the last question

but oh god the listening, i was just guessing the whole thing :/ hopefully the two will balance out

how did you find it?

i think it might be 36/45 for an A* in reading and 28-30/40 for an A* in listening, what do you think? xxx
    Yeah the reading was decent but I know I lost marks on the last question and the weird one about Otto's car being stolen or something? yeah basically I failed...
    aha same about the listening, I felt like I recognized some words but couldn't work the whole thing out

Those grade boundaries would be good, I'm hoping for an A* but my chances are slim...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hs1var19)
    Me too! 20 more days till judgement day haha. What are you planning to do in college anyway?
    Sociology,phycology, media and photograph yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aasvogel)
    Where are your Irish family from?
    Sligo and Tipperary, you Irish too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tess_rach)
    That's the same as me :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wooo How did u find the exam??

ReputationRep:
    How did you guys find the exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghost_rebel)
    Wooo How did u find the exam??
    Not too bad :-) I managed to get one of my German laws into a source answer - that's literally one of the only questions I can remember! Also our teacher told us we'd get marks for saying "In this source there is a skeleton. Skeletons represent death. Therefore we can see death in this source." I was glad when that came up :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Molly648)
    This might seem like a stupid question but did you do better than you expected? Also when did you really start to get nervous about the results? I'm not too bad now, but I expect the week before I will be pretty worried!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i was nervousish around now, but i was hella nervous a week before. the night before i din't sleep at all...
    i got my predicted grades plus one better in Eng lit (predeicted A received A*)

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.