Turn on thread page Beta

GCSE OCR 21st Century Triple Science (CBP1-7) Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColeNate)
    I put 1/30,000,000 for the question on the mass of uranium.

I loved the six markers though -I'd looked at filaments previously and did nuclear waste for last year's physics.
    What did people say about long-jumping Amir?
    I got similar (1/3 x 10^7 I think)
    , Same I did a workbook question in the morning basically exact same question and marked myself with Mark scheme and book

ReputationRep:
    I put 1/30,000,000 for the question on the mass of uranium.

I loved the six markers though -I'd looked at filaments previously and did nuclear waste for last year's physics.
    What did people say about long-jumping Amir?
    I put the same for uranium mass.

I put to summarise for Amir question greater velocity=greater K.E=great GPE=great vertical height=greater difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azo)
    I put the same for uranium mass.

I put to summarise for Amir question greater velocity=greater K.E=great GPE=great vertical height=greater difference.
    I didn't mention KE and GPE because I wasn't confident enough on it in the context of long jumping to be honest. I mentioned friction between his feet and the floor, the resultant force generated forwards, how momentum increases with force and other factors which could have slowed him down such as air resistance and disabilities.

ReputationRep:
    What did people get for the e=mc^2 one?
    I got 0.00000003 recurring. Mass = Energy / Speed of light squared. The number sounds reasonable because nuclear fission is much more efficient than burning coal. Can anyone clarify :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmaryam)
    Im not sure its right but i got 0.00000001.
    LOOL, its probably not right. Oh well :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I got similar but mine would end in 3( 3.3x10^8)

(Original post by romaiseb)
    Remind me was this in the section where it also had the question about coal reactors?
    it asked you to fins mass and you knew energy and speed of light

(Original post by azo)
    Much better than I thought!!
    High five

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know that filaments are resistors! I started talking about how the filament is thinner so the charge has to squeeze through it more incomparison the the thicker wires connected to the filament which would've heated it up more haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jillianmckeith)
    I didn't know that filaments are resistors! I started talking about how the filament is thinner so the charge has to squeeze through it more incomparison the the thicker wires connected to the filament which would've heated it up more haha
    Filament -> High resistance -> Electrons colliding with positive charges -> Heat generated -> Begins to glow -> Visible light emitted

Vice versa for connecting wires I believe

ReputationRep:
    Filament -> High resistance -> Electrons colliding with positive charges -> Heat generated -> Begins to glow -> Visible light emitted

Vice versa for connecting wires I believe
    Yeah I realise that now haha

ReputationRep:
    Let me just go cry in a corner please...

ReputationRep:
    What happened in the question where they added a battery in parallel?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't mention KE and GPE because I wasn't confident enough on it in the context of long jumping to be honest. I mentioned friction between his feet and the floor, the resultant force generated forwards, how momentum increases with force and other factors which could have slowed him down such as air resistance and disabilities.
    I was exactly the same - I didn't mention any thing about K.E + G.P.E - I also wrote the same thing as you about driving forces, friction, backward and forward forces + counter forces - we should be in the 4 mark boundary - maybe 5 for that question

ReputationRep:
    How do everyone find it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomSmith98)
    I got 0.00000003 recurring. Mass = Energy / Speed of light squared. The number sounds reasonable because nuclear fission is much more efficient than burning coal. Can anyone clarify :confused:
    Yes, that is correct, I believe: it only takes an extremely small mass of uranium to give out a lot of energy.

As for the filament question, the filament wire is thinner, giving it more resistance as the free electrons collide with the fixed lattice of ions in the filament more regularly, transferring more kinetic energy (heat) which then transfers to light energy. Opposite for the connecting wire.

Adding a resistor in parallel, meanwhile, decreases the total resistance of the circuit.

ReputationRep:
    I think I may have literally spent about 7 hours trying to teach myself all the electricky stuff in P6 yesterday and was quite confident before the exam today.....
    .....But I fumbled it when it came down to the wire......

ReputationRep:
    I thought the exam was neither hard or easy. I think ive made a lot of silly mistakes! What did everyone get for the change in momentum question? I guessed and put 0.4:s
    and for the usain bolt question was it 8.7 or 9.7? I ended up putting 9.7

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amyjonesx)
    I thought the exam was neither hard or easy. I think ive made a lot of silly mistakes! What did everyone get for the change in momentum question? I guessed and put 0.4:s
    My money's on 9.7. On Wikipedia it says that his record was actually 9.58 seconds but that's close enough for the mark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amyjonesx)
    Same with the hardness of the questions , I didn't find the test easy, I found it quite fair but still had a struggle with time and it did seem hard at parts but I was expecting a lot worse
    I don't remember I remember putting 2.4 for one but I don't think it's the same question :/

I got 9.7

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -sophia-)
    What happened in the question where they added a battery in parallel?
    The voltage remains the same and so does the current. Voltage is always constant in a parallel circuit and the current ACROSS each branch will also be the same as if it were the only one present.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akl141)
    The voltage remains the same and so does the current. Voltage is always constant in a parallel circuit and the current ACROSS each branch will also be the same as if it were the only one present.
    Ah, bugger then. I put they both increase.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akl141)
    Ah i put voltage increase and current stays the same :/

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.