Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsr1269)

Tell me, why were there any European Jews at all if they all loved their homeland so much?
    The Jewish people didn't love Roman destruction of their holy city: Jerusalem. Rome destroyed Jerusalem around 70 AD. Many Jewish survivors escaped to other areas, including Arabia, Persia, as well European areas, and Russia. They settled down and had kids, had jobs, and many did very well in the countries where they were refugees.

If not for the Holocaust, I don't think Israel as a nation would exist today. The Holocaust uprooted the Jewish people from where they were flourishing in Europe and motivated Jewish people from around the world to immigrate to the land of their forefathers.

I understand an Arab scholar who asks sincerely why Palestinians have to pay for the crimes of the Nazis. That's a good question. They shouldn't have to pay. Both the Palestinians and the Jews should have and should be nice to each other. They shouldn't kill each other. They should live together peaceably, respecting each others' differences. They can share the land. The Arabs can allow one Jewish state to exist. There are many Arab states, many Muslim-dominated states. Israel is the only Jewish state. While there are Jewish people in other countries, those countries are not Jewish states.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    Firstly Israel does try to avoid civilians, I do accept
    No they don't. Stop spouting bull****. It is evident they dont.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agapelove)
    It is extremely rude and unbecoming for you to start another discussion without closing another.

ReputationRep:
    Posing with an Israeli military vehicle:

ReputationRep:
    do you think america will cut off its aid to Israel?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chindits)
    I guess for the same reason the UK isn't - despite invading Iraq (a country which never attacked the UK)
    Which, allegedly, posed a real threat to national security, although it was more probably just to take out Hussein and the invasion wasn't exactly legal.

and invading Afghanistan (a country which never attacked the UK)
    Well, actually, they did under Article 5 of the NATO Charter:
    The Parties agree that an armed attack against one or more of them in Europe or North America shall be considered an attack against them all and consequently they agree that, if such an armed attack occurs, each of them, in exercise of the right of individual or collective self-defence recognised by Article 51 of the Charter of the United Nations, will assist the Party or Parties so attacked by taking forthwith, individually and in concert with the other Parties, such action as it deems necessary, including the use of armed force, to restore and maintain the security of the North Atlantic area.Any such armed attack and all measures taken as a result thereof shall immediately be reported to the Security Council. Such measures shall be terminated when the Security Council has taken the measures necessary to restore and maintain international peace and security.

To OP, because they're friendly enough with NATO and the UN that their actions are largely overlooked until things start getting pretty bad, such as a week or two into any major operation.

ReputationRep:
    The Jewish people have contributed immeasurably to humanity and will continue to do so.
    Yes. Occupying land that isn't yours and killing innocents is perfectly fine as long as we have the Wall Street Journal creating articles and Facebook to share the articles on.

This is the world we live in people. Have you considered running for office in the USA? You'd fit right in as they're full of crap too.

I stand with Israel.
    So you support the systematic genocide of the Palestinian people? Vulgar.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by presidential_)
    do you think america will cut off its aid to Israel?
    Of course not, there are plenty of military contracts and Israel are "the good guys" and Hamas are totally responsible for civilian casualties, allegedly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilsoncw1997)
    Just want to do a poll since this is the hottest topic as of right now.

My stance:

you stand with murder and injustice. shame on you.

ReputationRep:
    At least Israel fights enemies that attack it. Unlike the UK
    Wrong. The first occupation of Palestinian land took place in the late 1800s by Zionists. They were the catalysts of all of this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Of course not, there are plenty of military contracts and Israel are "the good guys" and Hamas are totally responsible for civilian casualties, allegedly.
    smh, americans should wake up and realise the tax they pay is used for such horrific crimes

ReputationRep:
    Israeli bulldozer pulling a downed tank:

Mortar Fired towards Israeli forces holed up at Gaza Airport:

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by presidential_)
    smh, americans should wake up and realise the tax they pay is used for such horrific crimes
    Their tax pays for their new military tech, and since they have no problem spending a third of their budget on unnecessary new tech I doubt they have any issue with where the money eventually goes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    This is not true. Israel sends in Arab speaking agents to tell civilians to leave, it has pioneered shells which explode in the air above the target to warn people and scare them out. In fact it has no reason to kill the Palestinians, it doesn't benefit Israel in any way.

Yes it is. If the pensioner hit the boxer first, then the boxer has total moral justification to lay the smackdown on the pugnacious old wrinkly and that's exactly what the IPC is like, a scruffy little band of terrorists who are actually pretty weak, targeting a more powerful neighbour, getting their asses kicked, them going off crying to the world media about their victimhood.
    How much are you getting paid?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniOfLife)
    Simply that the UN has passed far more resolutions condemning Israel than any other country. Yet no sane observer can think that Israel has acted worse than any other country. The large number of UN resolutions against Israel therefore doesn't reflect Israel's behaviour but rather the UN's behaviour.
    I'm confused. Do you find the UN's resolutions unjustified?

I don't understand how the lack of resolutions against other nations is relevant here. To say that Israel's actions aren't reprehensible because the reprehensible actions of others have not been addressed (if that is the case) seems like a facile argument to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanctimonious)
    Wrong. The first occupation of Palestinian land took place in the late 1800s by Zionists. They were the catalysts of all of this.
    The Jews are indigenous.

We even had a so-called 'palestinian' introduce himself yesterday who, whilst blaming everything on Israel, admitted there's no such thing as 'palestinians'

The FABRICATED entity

" There is no Palestinian nation! There is an Arab nation, but no Palestinian nation. This was invented by the colonial powers. When are the Palestinians mentioned in history? Never." - Azmi Bishara, former Arab Knesset member, on Israel television.
    "There is no such country (as Palestine)! Palestine is a term the Zionists invented! There is no Palestine in the Bible. Our country was for centuries part of Syria." - told to the peel Commission in 1937 by Auni Bey Abdul-Hadi, a local Arab leader.
    "There is no such thing as Palestine in history, absolutely not". - Philip K. Hitti, an Arab, a professor at Princeton University, and author of the authoritative "The Arabs", testifying at the 1946 Anglo-American Committee of Inquiry.

And my favourite one of the all

"Who can challenge the rights of the Jews to Palestine? Good Lord, historically, it is really your country." - Yusuf Diya al-Khalidi, Mayor of Jerusalem, in 1899.

ReputationRep:
    FAA bans flights to Tel Aviv due to escalating situation.

ICAA (Israeli Civil Aviation Authority) scrambling to placate airlines to continue flying...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    I'm confused. Do you find the UN's resolutions unjustified?

I don't understand how the lack of resolutions against other nations is relevant here. To say that Israel's actions aren't reprehensible because the reprehensible actions of others have gone unpunished seems like a facile argument to me.
    I'm not commenting on the content of the resolutions only on their number. People say "Israel is in breach of XX resolutions" implying it must be really bad because of the number of resolutions against it. I am pointing out that the number tells us more about the UN than about Israel.

I hope that's more clear but I will happily expand and write more if needs be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben_Dover)
    How much are you getting paid?
    Have you just come from the Hamas website?

Hamas guidelines on spreading propaganda

Hamas Interior Ministry To Social Media Activists: Always Call The Dead 'Innocent Civilians'; Don't Post Photos Of Rockets Being Fired From Civilian Population CentersIn light of the recent round of fighting in Gaza, the Hamas interior ministry has issued guidelines to Gaza Strip social media users for reporting events and discussing them with outsiders.

The ministry's guidelines, which it is calling the "Be Aware – Social Media Activist Awareness Campaign," were issued via an instructional video posted on its official website and via posters published on its Twitter and Facebook pages. Both the video and the posters were also posted on the ministry's social media accounts and forums.[1]

The guidelines are aimed at ensuring preservation of the line of Hamas and other Palestinian organizations; preventing the leaking of information that would be of military value to Israel; bolstering Hamas's propaganda efforts outside the Gaza Strip, in both the Arab world and the West; and preventing damage to Hamas's image. Hamas particularly seeks to cement the perceptions that its actions are a response to Israeli aggression and that all Gaza casualties are "innocent civilians," and to ensure that there is no evidence of rockets being fired from Gaza population centers.

The Hamas interior ministry website included the following text along with its instructional video: "The Information Department of the Ministry of the Interior and National Security has instructed activists on social media websites, particularly Facebook, to correct some of the commonly used terms as they cover the aggression taking place in the Gaza Strip. The following Information Department video calls on all activists to use the proper terminology, in order to play their part in strengthening the home front and in properly conveying information worldwide."[2]

Following are excerpts from the guidelines:

"Anyone killed or martyred is to be called a civilian from Gaza or Palestine, before we talk about his status in jihad or his military rank. Don't forget to always add 'innocent civilian' or 'innocent citizen' in your description of those killed in Israeli attacks on Gaza.

"Begin [your reports of] news of resistance actions with the phrase 'In response to the cruel Israeli attack,' and conclude with the phrase 'This many people have been martyred since Israel launched its aggression against Gaza.' Be sure to always perpetuate the principle of 'the role of the occupation is attack, and we in Palestine are fulfilling [the role of] the reaction.'

"Avoid publishing pictures of rockets fired into Israel from [Gaza] city centers. This [would] provide a pretext for attacking residential areas in the Gaza Strip. Do not publish or share photos or video clips showing rocket launching sites or the movement of resistance [forces] in Gaza.

[When speaking] to an Arab friend, start with the number of martyrs. [But when speaking] to a Western friend, start with the number of wounded and dead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsr1269)

So the land should be given back to the descendants of the Canaanites?
    Did the Canaanites escape centuries earlier and are their descendants coming back to the land of their forefathers?

I agree with Albert Einstein's quote above, which is why I believe both the Palestinians and the Israelis should stop attacking each other.

You really are pushing the Jesus boat a lot in this discussion.
    I follow Jesus. Who do you follow?

What you think is irrelevant.
    Then why are you replying to me?

Can I ask which country you are from?
    You can and you did. I was born and I live in the USA.

Where are you from and in which country do you live?

You are clearly a very deluded person or just very very idealistic.
    I am not attacking you. Why verbally attack me, simply because we disagree?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.