Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Drummerz)
    You plan to become a quality law student and you value teaching quality but you applied to sunderland and birkbeck, lol okay. By the way Jiří Přibáň, from his wikipedia page, sounds quite intelligent. Have some respect and get over yourself.
    Just so you know, the quality of lecturers and level of teaching quality in the London unis are actually bad. If you think you are going to get good lecturers that will keep you in awe with their knowledge, you are wrong. If you think that the teaching quality is anything to shout about, you're also wrong. In fact, it doesn't matter which uni you go to nowadays because you have to do about 90% of independent study.

Of course Oxbridge and Durham are exempt from this because they operate under a collegiate system. What this means is that each college on average has about 8 students so there's a lot more room for the lecturer/supervisor to focus on the students and help wit their questions and these students will obviously fare better than say students from unis where the cohort is like some 300+ students for law.

Watch this from 9:55 to 13:31.

Birbeck is a wonderful uni headed by quality lecturers who breathe and live the English Common law. They're great at constitutional and administrative law and also jurisprudence. To me, they're better than Kings and LSE in this area. I may be German but I have tremendous respect for the British Common law system. When I decided to apply to study in UK, I told myself that, unlike many other EU and International students, I should put my ego and pride aside and immerse myself with the pristine british legal system. Sunderland is known for its corporate law component.

Lastly, quality law students do not rely, believe or quote wikipedia pages ever. You have just revealed to all of us, your quality. You are now the third person on this thread to have 'bite the dust'. I wonder who's next.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hudamh)
    Same here. My LNAT exam was awful. Don't feel optomistic about about Kings, but if I don't get in then I'll give it a go through adjustement.
    I got bristol but feel like they don't really care about lnat in comparison to kings

ReputationRep:
    Got offers from Bristol and Birmingham. Still waiting for Durham, QMUL and Warwick. Haven't heard anything from QMUL since end of October

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crocface)
    Got an offer for today from Exeter for Law with European Study (4 years), M124

"This offer is subject to you obtaining 36 points in the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma,
    including 5points at Standard Level in Modern Languages and 4 points at Higher Level in English"

Already got QMUL offer (IB37, HL18)
    Already rejected from Oxford and Kings. I think both didnt like my LNAT
    Still waiting for Bristol, but if my LNAT was that bad I would have though they would have rejected me earlier, so still hopeful.
    Congrats! Which language will you be doing at Exeter? I've also got an offer for law with European study (French), and also been rejected from Oxford haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beewilde)
    How long after applying to Bristol did you guys get offers? I applied about a week and a half ago (would have loved to have applied sooner but as an international student I had to take extra care in applying correctly), and I received my confirmation email two days after but haven't heard anything from my other universities since. I currently hold an ABB equivalent but I'm expected to achieve AAABB A-Level equivalent within the next month.
    Honesty it was quite a while, I applied on November the 17th and although I got three offers in that week, I only got Bristol yesterday 💔 however, don't worry at all because my form teacher has told me stories about students who didn't hear until March and still got in!!

You definitely did the right thing in making sure everything was perfect, it doesn't really matter when you apply just that it was before the deadline hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJaneH)
    Congrats! Which language will you be doing at Exeter? I've also got an offer for law with European study (French), and also been rejected from Oxford haha
    Thanks. For languages, I am spoilt for Choice. I am Italian, having livied there for 8 years and living in Spain for a further 8 years, So I am tri-lingual Italian/Spanish/English and for IB I am doing French 'B' SL and an extra certificate in Spanish 'A' literature. My hope is to do Italian and go to Bologna (world's oldest university) for the year abroad.

If I get an offer from Bristol I will drop Exeter and firm Bristol with QMUL as insurance. If I don't get Bristol Exeter will be my insurance.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm an international student and like beewilde, I wanted to make sure that everything is correct before I submitted my application.
    Hence, I just submitted my application on 15 January.

I had just sat for my LNAT yesterday (20 Jan).

Do you know roughly when my application results will be out? Will it be in March? Thanks guys!! good luck and hope y'all get into the school of your choice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audrey18)
    Just so you know, the quality of lecturers and level of teaching quality in the London unis are actually bad. If you think you are going to get good lecturers that will keep you in awe with their knowledge, you are wrong. If you think that the teaching quality is anything to shout about, you're also wrong. In fact, it doesn't matter which uni you go to nowadays because you have to do about 90% of independent study.

Of course Oxbridge and Durham are exempt from this because they operate under a collegiate system. What this means is that each college on average has about 8 students so there's a lot more room for the lecturer/supervisor to focus on the students and help wit their questions and these students will obviously fare better than say students from unis where the cohort is like some 300+ students for law.

Watch this from 9:55 to 13:31.

Birbeck is a wonderful uni headed by quality lecturers who breathe and live the English Common law. They're great at constitutional and administrative law and also jurisprudence. To me, they're better than Kings and LSE in this area. I may be German but I have tremendous respect for the British Common law system. When I decided to apply to study in UK, I told myself that, unlike many other EU and International students, I should put my ego and pride aside and immerse myself with the pristine british legal system. Sunderland is known for its corporate law component.

Lastly, quality law students do not rely, believe or quote wikipedia pages ever. You have just revealed to all of us, your quality. You are now the third person on this thread to have 'bite the dust'. I wonder who's next.
    Try getting into a magic circle firm with a degree from sunderland and see how that goes for you. Also if birkbeck was so great it would have a much better reputation, there are quality lecturers with a great understanding of law in many top unis. Again, the fact that despite all your talk you applied to sunderland is hilarious. By the way wikipedia isn't always a bad source of background information, no one references wikipedia but its a good place to start when you're not certain of a topic/subject. A intelligent person should be able to tell the difference between a biased and non-biased wikipedia article.

(Original post by Drummerz)
    Try getting into a magic circle firm with a degree from sunderland and see how that goes for you. Also if birkbeck was so great it would have a much better reputation, there are quality lecturers with a great understanding of law in many top unis. Again, the fact that despite all your talk you applied to sunderland is hilarious. By the way wikipedia isn't always a bad source of background information, no one references wikipedia but its a good place to start when you're not certain of a topic/subject. A intelligent person should be able to tell the difference between a biased and non-biased wikipedia article.
    I cannot afford to live in London which is why I applied to Sunderland. Birbeck does have some scholarships so I'll have to see how things pan out. Finance is an issue for me. Hopefully this settles all the queries about my uni choices.

I agree with your point about wiki being a good starting point. But sadly uni students continue to quote wiki in their essays and as a result fail that paper. Incorrect referencing can be fatal. I wonder if uni students are taught extensively about the Harvard APA or Oscola system during their first few weeks at uni? Anyways I repped u for your post.

(Original post by Jasmine Lim)
    Hey guys, I'm an international student and like beewilde, I wanted to make sure that everything is correct before I submitted my application.
    Hence, I just submitted my application on 15 January.

I had just sat for my LNAT yesterday (20 Jan).

Do you know roughly when my application results will be out? Will it be in March? Thanks guys!! good luck and hope y'all get into the school of your choice!
    hi Jasmine. how did it go? you were very active and responsive when you needed help for your Lnat which I manage to get the necessary material for you from my friends who sat for the LNAT. but after the LNAT, attempts to get a reply from you were futile. give us an update of how the LNAT went for you and what were your essay topics etc.

ReputationRep:
    hi Jasmine. how did it go? you were very active and responsive when you needed help for your Lnat which I manage to get the necessary material for you from my friends who sat for the LNAT. but after the LNAT, attempts to get a reply from you were futile. give us an update of how the LNAT went for you and what were your essay topics etc.
    Hi audrey, I had replied you on another thread

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. For languages, I am spoilt for Choice. I am Italian, having livied there for 8 years and living in Spain for a further 8 years, So I am tri-lingual Italian/Spanish/English and for IB I am doing French 'B' SL and an extra certificate in Spanish 'A' literature. My hope is to do Italian and go to Bologna (world's oldest university) for the year abroad.

If I get an offer from Bristol I will drop Exeter and firm Bristol with QMUL as insurance. If I don't get Bristol Exeter will be my insurance.
    Yeah I had to choose between Spanish and French as I study both at a level, I'm waiting on KCL as they would probably be my firm with Exeter as insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beewilde)
    How long after applying to Bristol did you guys get offers? I applied about a week and a half ago (would have loved to have applied sooner but as an international student I had to take extra care in applying correctly), and I received my confirmation email two days after but haven't heard anything from my other universities since. I currently hold an ABB equivalent but I'm expected to achieve AAABB A-Level equivalent within the next month.
    My application was sent off on November 18th - so have had a bit of a wait, but so has everyone with Bristol!... Now the deadline has passed they might not take so long to get back to you but then again they are very popular so will have a lot of applicants to get through... Good luck and just forget about it for now as it could be a while until you hear!

ReputationRep:
    I've seen a few people now say they will insurance QMUL, but this is a higher offer than Bristol and others, are they likely to accept lower??

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer for today from Exeter for Law with European Study (4 years), M124

"This offer is subject to you obtaining 36 points in the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma,
    including 5points at Standard Level in Modern Languages and 4 points at Higher Level in English"

Already got QMUL offer (IB37, HL18)
    Already rejected from Oxford and Kings. I think both didnt like my LNAT
    Still waiting for Bristol, but if my LNAT was that bad I would have though they would have rejected me earlier, so still hopeful.
    What were your predicted IB points overall and for your HLs, if you do not mind me asking? Also when did you apply and take the LNAT? When did King's reply?

I got an offer from Bristol about a week ago, but still waiting on KCL :/

ReputationRep:
    Actually, considering that I got an offer from Bristol, can I assume that my LNAT went well? Also, which one is harder to get in: KCL or Bristol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by galatasaray1905)
    Actually, considering that I got an offer from Bristol, can I assume that my LNAT went well? Also, which one is harder to get in: KCL or Bristol?
    I think KCL is way harder to get in

ReputationRep:
    Hi chubby cheeks. I have no idea what you're on about. you've mixed me up with someone else. I applied to Bath for politics with economics. Nowhere did I say I attained A*A*A* or high points for the IB. Because of your miscomprehension, you have suggested that Sussex and Sunderland are lousy unis? You have hurt my feelings and many here who have applied to those unis. I demand an immediate apology from you.

nowhere did I say that Kings was the best for law. I said that Kings, (after hearing and watching audio/video lectures from LSE, UCL, SOAS and Queen Mary that my friends in those unis had kindly emailed me) for me, was the best for law because the lecturers from Kings
    1) spoke in good British english
    2) were able to sustain my attention span
    3) were able to use wide vocabulary
    4) gave timely breaks and a whole lot more.

International students from outside of Europe will definitely value my output when wanting to firm their 1st and 2nd uni choices. I'm certain they don't want to get into some uni based on rankings and reputation (as many on this forum only seem to be greatly interested in) only to find that they cannot make sense of what the lecturers are saying :eek:

You harp on uni rankings and reputation. I am more concerned with the level of teaching quality.
    Chubby cheeks... Meh...

Firstly, no I did not imply anything unknown about said unis. Someone who has A*AA/40IB is extremely unlikely to be applying to Sunderland or Sussex. What did I say that was so shocking to you?

So, you applied to Bath for P&E, to Sussex/Sunderland for Law, and you watched all the recordings of LSE/KCL/UCL AND QMUL...??

Sounds reliable....

Secondly, you have such a shallow understand of how university works. So, what you're saying is that you couldn't understand what the lecturers were saying? Cause that would be a first to hear.
    It's the university and its reputation that will affect your career prospects (to a certain extent of course). It's not the accent of your professor...

Sure you are... sure.

(Original post by *Stefan*)
    Chubby cheeks... Meh...

Firstly, no I did not imply anything unknown about said unis. Someone who has A*AA/40IB is extremely unlikely to be applying to Sunderland or Sussex. What did I say that was so shocking to you?

So, you applied to Bath for P&E, to Sussex/Sunderland for Law, and you watched all the recordings of LSE/KCL/UCL AND QMUL...??

Sounds reliable....

Secondly, you have such a shallow understand of how university works. So, what you're saying is that you couldn't understand what the lecturers were saying? Cause that would be a first to hear.
    It's the university and its reputation that will affect your career prospects (to a certain extent of course). It's not the accent of your professor...

Sure you are... sure.
    Hi chubby cheeks.

1) i wanted to have a feel of how the lectures in these tops unis were conducted. I also wanted to use the info given in these lectures when i'm making notes for my first year uni subjects. hope that clears things up.

2) being able to understand what the lecturer is saying and how he or she conveys the points across is very crucial and can be the difference between failing and passing a subject. many of the law subjects are dry so the quality of the lecturers' teaching is crucial here.

you have your opinion and I have mine. You and many here harp on reputation and rankings of unis. I for one am only interested in the level of teaching quality. I am not taking a student or bank loan so I want to be able to get my money's worth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sjmyatt11)
    I've seen a few people now say they will insurance QMUL, but this is a higher offer than Bristol and others, are they likely to accept lower??
    Yes. Looking at a lot of stats there is a marked difference with what QMUL officially asked for and what people there actually got. Not so for Bristol. That means for me they must be more leniant. I am gambling they will drop 1 or 2 grades if necessary if they like you and I get the impression they like European IB students, based on the fact I got an offer within a week way back in October and I see other A level candidates waiting for months.

The other aspect is that for me and my particular IB subjects, Bristol is the harder offer to fulfil as they want 6 in all 3 HL subjects, whereas QMUL say they just want a total of HL18. I'm predicting I will get 5,6,7 in HL. The extra IB point needed by QMUL is not an issue for me as I have an extra 6-7 points anyway as I am doing 7 subjects instead of 6 and I pre-checked with them that they would look favourably on this scenario.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.