The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HopelessMedic
Just out of interest how are you predicted A*A*A? It seems strange to be predicted so high based of GCSE's

You can get into medicine. Avoid the GCSE heavy uni', get a high UKCAT and you will be able to get interviews at least. Easier said than done ofc, but there's nothing stopping you

EDIT: Don't do DofE just for medicine, its better to do something you enjoy

It's probably because I went to a different school to do my GCSES then my A-levels.
Original post by Cigarsonice
I got 1A*, 5As and 5Bs. I was really frustrated with my results. Is there still a possibility of me doing medicine because I am predicted A* A* A at A2. I have volunteered at an NHS trust and a Biomedical Lab in a hospital for about a week each. I've struggled to find a job or volunteer work where I live but am thinking of doing Gold Duke of Edinburgh? But I really am against it (not a fan of camping) Are there any other extra curricular possibilities for medicine or just will look on any university application?

Are you in year 13????? Medicine Deadline is gone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Selgomez11
Your GCSEs would look really good for Cardiff and you should try QMUL. Liverpool and Manchester imo is not the best choice for you

Hi
Why is Manchester and Liverpool not the best choice with his great GCSE results.

I am in year 12. Looking to apply for Manchester and Liverpool next year.
Original post by spock2000
Hi
Why is Manchester and Liverpool not the best choice with his great GCSE results.

I am in year 12. Looking to apply for Manchester and Liverpool next year.

Manchester has its own form like the personal statement which they ran, and Liverpool uses the personal statement to quite a high extent. This means that they're both very subjective, so they're riskier voices and don't make the best use of their strengths.
Medicine is all about applying to your strengths, to where you feel you have the best chance of interview.
Original post by Gogregg
Manchester has its own form like the personal statement which they ran, and Liverpool uses the personal statement to quite a high extent. This means that they're both very subjective, so they're riskier voices and don't make the best use of their strengths.
Medicine is all about applying to your strengths, to where you feel you have the best chance of interview.

Ok Thanks

As said in year 12.

I have 8 A* and 2As.
Can I ask if applicants are doing 3 or 4 A levels.

I am doing 4, Maths/Biology/Chemistry/Geography

Will be dropping one A subject.

Likely to be Geography. They dont do an AS in that, so
I wont have any AS at the end of year 12.
So will be be just presenting 3 A levels next year.

Unis say that should not be a problem, but wondered what people this year were doing.
Original post by spock2000
Can I ask if applicants are doing 3 or 4 A levels.

I am doing 4, Maths/Biology/Chemistry/Geography

Will be dropping one A subject.

Likely to be Geography. They dont do an AS in that, so
I wont have any AS at the end of year 12.
So will be be just presenting 3 A levels next year.

Unis say that should not be a problem, but wondered what people this year were doing.

Most people, due to the reformed A Levels are only allowed to do 3 subjects anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1507
Original post by nomophobia
Most people, due to the reformed A Levels are only allowed to do 3 subjects anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats a completely unfounded claim. I could say most people are doing 4 to display resilience and true intellectual capacity.
Original post by Sulee
Thats a completely unfounded claim. I could say most people are doing 4 to display resilience and true intellectual capacity.

But the 'claim' the individual made is correct. Refer to the any university entry requirements page and it'll likely say (for 2017 entry) that it's acceptable to have only 3 A levels, as they are aware this is all some schools permit with the recent reforms. From this, and from my knowledge of my own and other schools, we can deduce a large proportion of schools will only be allowing 3.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sulee
I could say most people are doing 4 to display resilience and true intellectual capacity.

Its one of the most common reasons for people to miss their grades - BBBB does not equal AAA. And all it shows is 'took on too much, couldn't cope and fell flat on face'. That will not get any sympathy from any University in August.

You dont need 4 A levels - so why risk it?
Original post by Sulee

But how can "most" people do 4 if less than half of the schools are allowing students to do 4 A-levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1511
Original post by Kozmo
But the 'claim' the individual made is correct. Refer to the any university entry requirements page and it'll likely say (for 2017 entry) that it's acceptable to have only 3 A levels, as they are aware this is all some schools permit with the recent reforms. From this, and from my knowledge of my own and other schools, we can deduce a large proportion of schools will only be allowing 3.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just because 3 is the minimum, doesnt mean its the optimum. For e.g. at Cambridge last year, the average A levels taken last year for medicine was 4+, meaning more people took 5 than took 3. Just because 3 is acceptable, why limit to yourself to the MINIMUM requirements? A large proportion will be allowing 3, i agree, but not disallowing more than 3 either which is my point
Reply 1512
Original post by returnmigrant
Its one of the most common reasons for people to miss their grades - BBBB does not equal AAA. And all it shows is 'took on too much, couldn't cope and fell flat on face'. That will not get any sympathy from any University in August.

You dont need 4 A levels - so why risk it?

Yeah fair enough, but in my opinion A*A*AA > A*A*A*, so if youre capable of coping, its worth the risk
Reply 1513
Original post by nomophobia
But how can "most" people do 4 if less than half of the schools are allowing students to do 4 A-levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Youre likely to be right tbf, im just saying you havent got the stats to back it up but whatevz, where im from, most schools in my area prefer you to do 4 and are deffo 'not only allowed to do 3'
Original post by Sulee
Yeah fair enough, but in my opinion A*A*AA > A*A*A*, so if youre capable of coping, its worth the risk

Original post by Sulee
Just because 3 is the minimum, doesnt mean its the optimum. For e.g. at Cambridge last year, the average A levels taken last year for medicine was 4+, meaning more people took 5 than took 3. Just because 3 is acceptable, why limit to yourself to the MINIMUM requirements? A large proportion will be allowing 3, i agree, but not disallowing more than 3 either which is my point

But doing extra is of no benefit in medicine. You don't get extra points or a pat on the back. It's far more important to get AAA. You'll struggle to get in with AABB, as people have said.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sulee

You're referring to last year as reference?
The reforms have occurred since then, hence why some (most in my case) are only permitted to take 3 A Levels

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sulee
Youre likely to be right tbf, im just saying you havent got the stats to back it up but whatevz, where im from, most schools in my area prefer you to do 4 and are deffo 'not only allowed to do 3'

doing 4 A2s is the most common reason why people miss overs because of the whole AABB situation, in my opinion taking on an extra A-level to get A*AAB is pointless when you can take 3 and ace them to get A*A*A etc., which is much stronger in terms of grades.

About the whole schools prefering 4A2s, that is a load of rubbish, just because people apply there with 4A2s doesnt mean that is what the school want or prefer. if it says AAA at a2 on the admissions policy, that is all they want and unless it is a criteria for selection at interview then AAA is more than enough and the extra alevel is a waste of your time which you could be focussing on the others.

I honestly think that you can show strong grades and great academic achievement without doing 4A2 levels, I know a girl with A*A*A* at A2 now at cambridge for med, and a girl who got AAAA at A2 now at manchester for med, both reccomend 3 A-levels to relieve stress, and be able to focus on the end goal.
Does anybody know if there are threads for Leicester and Sheffield medical school for 2017 entry on TSR?
Original post by Natalierm2707
doing 4 A2s is the most common reason why people miss overs because of the whole AABB situation, in my opinion taking on an extra A-level to get A*AAB is pointless when you can take 3 and ace them to get A*A*A etc., which is much stronger in terms of grades.

About the whole schools prefering 4A2s, that is a load of rubbish, just because people apply there with 4A2s doesnt mean that is what the school want or prefer. if it says AAA at a2 on the admissions policy, that is all they want and unless it is a criteria for selection at interview then AAA is more than enough and the extra alevel is a waste of your time which you could be focussing on the others.

I honestly think that you can show strong grades and great academic achievement without doing 4A2 levels, I know a girl with A*A*A* at A2 now at cambridge for med, and a girl who got AAAA at A2 now at manchester for med, both reccomend 3 A-levels to relieve stress, and be able to focus on the end goal.

I would agree that 3 a levels all at A*or 2A*s A etc is better than 4 at AAAB for example, unis tend not to think any higher of students who've taken four alevels especially when their grades are lower than someone who has taken 3. I recommend focusing on 3 and acing them rather than struggling with four
Original post by emma.sx
I would agree that 3 a levels all at A*or 2A*s A etc is better than 4 at AAAB for example, unis tend not to think any higher of students who've taken four alevels especially when their grades are lower than someone who has taken 3. I recommend focusing on 3 and acing them rather than struggling with four

I think it is imperative to remember that providing you meet the offer the universities dont care whether you got AAA or A*A*A* or A*AAB or AAAB, you just need to meet the offer they have given you to get a place. once at med school the applicant who got A*A*A* and the applicant who got AAA are both on a level playing field.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending