The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP2 Official 2016 Exam Thread - 8th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

I ****ed up badly on the paper too, What do you guys think the boundaries will be like?
Original post by pragyas265
For question 5 shouldn't the second coefficient be -5/16 because it was -10/32

Yes that is correct; there should be an edited version of the answers out now with that corrected.
Hm, so I lost 5 marks on 2b, 4 was a disaster (maybe 3 on the second part? Please?) and I WROTE DOWN the right limits but used the wrong ones because I was in a rush on 8b.

Joys.
Original post by samb1234
I think it's a bit of a stretch to say it's on the syllabus. There aren't any examples of IBP being used that way in the text book so it's a bit of a sneaky question. Yes if you think about it it makes sense but if you've never seen anything of that type then it's not exactly a c4 integral

Fairly sure I've seen it pop up on IAL C4 papers before, and those have exactly the same syllabus as UK C4. I don't think it's a stretch at all to expect students to manipulate C1-level equations. Genuinely don't see the fuss about it.
Original post by Zacken
Surely your class learnt how to re-arrange equations of the form a = b + ka?

Well, most of us! But I think doing it on an integral is more of a technique than just straightforward algebra -- you've got to know to do the integration by parts first. If I'd not seen that kind of integral before (or had my integration skillz honed by STEP) I might have tried some dodgy substitution instead.
Original post by Student403
Correct except it's ce^-2x

yeah typo
Original post by Zacken
Arithmetic series. C1 section. S_n = n/2(1 + n).

S_n=(n/2)(1+n)
Original post by sweeneyrod
Well, most of us! But I think doing it on an integral is more of a technique than just straightforward algebra -- you've got to know to do the integration by parts first. If I'd not seen that kind of integral before (or had my integration skillz honed by STEP) I might have tried some dodgy substitution instead.

Heh, fair enough. You could also have used the exponential definition of sin or recognised that the integrand was the imaginary par of e^(2+i)x. Not lacking for methods!
Original post by Armpits
S_n=(n/2)(1+n)

Eh...?
How many marks was 4b guys. I got that all wrong :frown:
Reply 1511
Can't wait for an unoffical MS
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
I recognised it from my procatination on such threads. I too smiled.

This is extremely trivial.

Perhaps STEP is a joke then...
Q1 standard (sign error becasue I was not on point -3)
Q2 Very tricky Method of differences (Got it!)
Q3 standard
Q4 part i was a little tricky but standard, part ii would catch a lot out (whilst I made another sign error I had the correct method so -2 or 3)
Q5 quite tricky after the stress from q4 but got it.
Q6 standard, differentiating might catch a few out.
Q7 fine but the substitutions will catch a few out.
Q8 weird numbers, and I cocked up the last part by with another bloody sign error! (So -3)

Think I got 65-67 depending how the examiner feels.

Quite annoying considering that I got 600 ums last year in A2 maths, and now getting rekt in FP2.

Really do hope we'll see boundaries like last year's FP3.
Question 4b) was horrible. Apart from that nice paper imo. 2 queries :

For 2 did everyone get something on the lines of :

1/2n(n-5) + (1/2 - 1/n + 3)

For the argand question, am I only one who drew a circle radius 2about the origin and plotted the 4 points on it at their respective arguments?
For queston 8b, i got the area of c2 right but for c1 i used 49(pi/2 -.....) instead of 49(pi/4-....) cus i forgot to devide pi/2 by 2 . how many mark would i possibly lost??
Original post by Zacken
Eh...?

Just thought it'd make it a bit clearer for the person you were replying to.
Not sure what method u were just looking at but I also wrote this down which simplified it massively : I expect they won't be looking for this , especially as my level of analysis is not quite up to the standard to know why this fully works, but hey it's interesting :smile: ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465383205.087618.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
@Zacken
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Fairly sure I've seen it pop up on IAL C4 papers before, and those have exactly the same syllabus as UK C4. I don't think it's a stretch at all to expect students to manipulate C1-level equations. Genuinely don't see the fuss about it.

I think the main problem was that hardly anyone had experienced with an integration by parts done twice (unless they do STEP), so didn't really think about that when approaching the problem. It's not really something that's come up in the book or any exams (that I can think of).

Still, it's on the syllabus and that's all that matters really.
Original post by Zacken

Because it's extremely abnormal? Yes it's a c1 equation, but only if you realise that you should do IBP twice which if you have never seen anything like that before isn't all that likely, since the typical integrals are so easy that it's easy to think you have done something wrong, and even if you tried IBP a lot of people will have stopped at 1 thinking it's not going to help. Of course it's easy if you have seen one of them before, but if not then I don't see how it's an easy question when you throw in the fact that it was in the middle of the paper so you don't have time to try lots of stuff out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending