Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR Chemistry A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 27 2016 and Depth - June 10 2016) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeachChemistry)
    Attachment 550559
    Couldn't the molecular ion decompose to the propyl radical and the methanoic acid ion, and the propyl radical then be ionised? I guess it wouldn't be as abundant though

Thanks for the diagram

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h3rmit)
    Couldn't the molecular ion decompose to the propyl radical and the methanoic acid ion, and the propyl radical then be ionised? I guess it wouldn't be as abundant though

Thanks for the diagram
    I think you answered your own question.

(Original post by Smile Generator)
    She laughed because she's an examiner and a lot of the people she's marked have done badly
    Really? That's good news then! On social media everyone was talking about how easy the exam was and the grade boundaries will be so high. It's good that the grade boundaries will be standard and same as last year hopefully.
    After her marking is complete, can you ask her prediction of grade boundaries please?

How many marks will I get in that last questiob where I work out the empricial formula correctly as C2H4O and identify the m/z as 88 as well as calculating the empiricsl formula as C4H8O2? After that I went a bit wrong.. Do you reckon I'll get 3 marks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nwmyname)
    First spec students tend to earn less than 75% overall.
    well that's great then

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,
    Has anyone been given the OCR Sample not the one linked below but the one that OCR send to teachers as an example?
    thanks
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/171751-...-materials.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Walkerz7)
    Hey Guys,
    Has anyone been given the OCR Sample not the one linked below but the one that OCR send to teachers as an example?
    thanks
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/171751-...-materials.pdf
    AS exams have finished, why do you need it?

ReputationRep:
    First spec students tend to earn less than 75% overall.
    Not necessarily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marioman)
    Not necessarily.
    This is based on previous results.
    Considering this is a harder spec, this would be expected with new style questions in the MCQs.

Many students in the cohort aren't academically capable and some do not wish to take chemistry as their main A - Level subject, instead simply only for purposes to fill an A - Level based on their GCSEs.

Exam boards are aware of this - this was mentioned by a senior examiner at my school (OCR), and hence the grade boundaries are lowered to accomodate these pupils.

ReputationRep:
    This is based on previous results.
    Considering this is a harder spec, this would be expected with new style questions in the MCQs.

Many students in the cohort aren't academically capable and some do not wish to take chemistry as their main A - Level subject, instead simply only for purposes to fill an A - Level based on their GCSEs.

Exam boards are aware of this - this was mentioned by a senior examiner at my school (OCR), and hence the grade boundaries are lowered to accomodate these pupils.
    How is this a harder spec? I genuinely don't see that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jitesh)
    AS exams have finished, why do you need it?
    I Didn't take an as this year in it so want to keep practising do you have it ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Walkerz7)
    I Didn't take an as this year in it so want to keep practising do you have it ??
    I have it but you'll have to get it off your teacher as the reason it's locked is so they can use it for mocks.

It's not the most realistic exam tbh as it wasn't too similar to what the AS exam was like (it's a bit harder, not too much harder..)

It is a harder spec in terms of how they are assessed. There are more questions involving practical investigations in exams in which students need to know and there will be more application questions based on a candidate's knowledge. Also, the exams are structured in a way that more content will be applied in papers. For example, A level paper 1 tests knowledge on Modules 1,2,3 and 5. Additionally, paper 3 tests knowledge from all content being learnt in Modules 1,2,3,4,5 and 6. However, the legacy A-level papers were based on a particular topic instead of having a combination of other topics.

ReputationRep:
    I agree - if anything, for Chemistry, it will be easier as it will be more rewarding for students who understand concepts rather than just memorise stuff

That's for Chemistry anyway. For Biology, that's a different story, as you will probably know, in my opinion anyway.

ReputationRep:
    The content is pretty much the same. That's the spec, IMO. The way it's tested is MAYBE more challenging but I would say it's just different. I think application is much more important than memory. Industry needs people that can think and work things out - being able to memorise without understanding or being able to see the parallel with other scenarios is not useful. Exams are definitely going in the right direction but it's students that need to change their approach and attitude to exams now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrDogg)
    Would I get the mark for saying that a sigma bond is stronger than a Pi bond?
    Sorry for the late quote but, finally, I found someone who wrote the same thing I did. Everyone was talking about the formation and location and even its numbers so I never thought I'd find someone who wrote about its strength.

Did you ever find out if it gets a mark?

ReputationRep:
    The content is pretty much the same. That's the spec, IMO. The way it's tested is MAYBE more challenging but I would say it's just different. I think application is much more important than memory. Industry needs people that can think and work things out - being able to memorise without understanding or being able to see the parallel with other scenarios is not useful. Exams are definitely going in the right direction but it's students that need to change their approach and attitude to exams now.
    I see your point, but this is a new spec. New content and the inclusion of PAGs meant that students were unaware and were less able to predict what would come up, hence a less in-depth revision sessions were able to be given by teachers.

Considering some students did more than 1 linear module, this does hold true in reflection of new spec grade boundaries as the format of the exam is ambiguous and cannot be guaranteed by teachers. This was the exact experience I received when being taught, as teachers did not know for certain the level of detail required for the exam, and this was only possible to be determined after the first specification exams.

ReputationRep:
    I also mentioned in my own post, but I have a PDF version of the Year 2 OCR A textbook if anyone would like to private message me for the link.

ReputationRep:
    where did you find this?

ReputationRep:
    someone could post the paper on the thread.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.