Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whiggy)
    Thanks to Aph for making me realise that I'm almost as left wing as the Greens.
    The greens are pretty centrist tbf
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    The greens are pretty centrist tbf
    The greens are a centrist as UKIP are

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    The greens are a centrist as UKIP are

Posted from TSR Mobile
    LTG is pretty right-wing which balances out the other two.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    LTG is pretty right-wing which balances out the other two.
    Nebelbon is pretty left wing which balances out the rest

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Don't worry, Political Compasses aren't too accurate I was over near the Greens around this time last year, but I've kept on drifting right xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha, I hope the same can be said of me this time next year... xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    Nebelbon is pretty left wing ehich balances out the rest

Posted from TSR Mobile
    nah, he's a centrist, and the rest of UKIP vary from radical right to flat-out extremists

ReputationRep:
    So today Cameron accused Khan of extremism for sharing a platform with someone who as it turns out, campaigned for the conservatives at the last election...
    Khan has been a vocal critics of extremist Islam and took a huge amount of flack for coming out in favour of gay marriage. The Tories campaign to portray him as an extremist is dirty and desparate.

Khan was a human rights lawyer, you can't blame him for who his clients were. Unless you think all criminal lawyers are extremists because they represent criminals...

Everyone deserves legal representation, no matter how heinous they are, it's a basic human right.

ReputationRep:
    Happy 90th birthday to Her Majesty the Queen.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Happy 90th birthday to Her Majesty the Queen.
    I can't help but wonder how many millions of pounds of taxpayers' money they will spend on her fancy birthday party.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I can't help but wonder how many millions of pounds of taxpayers' money they will spend on her fancy birthday party.
    Probably nothing that would not be available to Her Majesty I'm the first place

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, there's no money to look after our elderly who are ill and in need of constant care but there's millions of taxpayers money to spend on the queen.

ReputationRep:
    aren't the pubs open late today or something?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    aren't the pubs open late today or something?
    Wish it was a bank holiday
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Republic are now complaining on twitter that the BBC should " Report not celebrate the royals " bloody republicans ruining events again.....
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The Queen photobombed this picture ( from a while ago ) ...... Classic

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Indeed, there's no money to look after our elderly who are ill and in need of constant care but there's millions of taxpayers money to spend on the queen.
    I agree. The Queen gets £35m each year, just from taxpayers. It is quite disgusting to be honest. I don't have anything against her personally but from purely an economic perspective, it just doesn't make sense.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I agree. The Queen gets £35m each year, just from taxpayers. It is quite disgusting to be honest. I don't have anything against her personally but from purely an economic perspective, it just doesn't make sense.
    How many times am I going to have to explain the sovereign grant to people? Do you know why this financial year she is getting £35m? Because in 2014/15 the Crown Estate had revenues of about £230m, all of which are surrendered to the treasury, Her Majesty has an effective 85% tax rate, arguably it's more like 90 because the 15% only comes back two years later when the revenues are further increased. For it to make no economic sense you have to have a grand total of no understanding of how it works, unless you are seriously suggesting that 45% is preferable to 85% from the standpoint of HMT, something that wouldn't be a new idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    How many times am I going to have to explain the sovereign grant to people? Do you know why this financial year she is getting £35m? Because in 2014/15 the Crown Estate had revenues of about £230m, all of which are surrendered to the treasury, Her Majesty has an effective 85% tax rate, arguably it's more like 90 because the 15% only comes back two years later when the revenues are further increased. For it to make no economic sense you have to have a grand total of no understanding of how it works, unless you are seriously suggesting that 45% is preferable to 85% from the standpoint of HMT, something that wouldn't be a new idea.
    And yet the Crown Estate is not the Queen's property in the same sense that my pencil is my property. In the constitutional revolution which would be required to become a republic, it's likely that the Crown Estate would be interpreted as being possessed by the Crown in its capacity as a branch of the state, rather than the Crown as individuals.

ReputationRep:
    I suggest people argue about this tomorrow. It is Her Majesty's birthday today and we should be paying respect to her. Whilst I agree that the Royal Family has taken some liberties, I'm sure that many agree that the Queen can't be held personally responsible for something that is beyond her control.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whiggy)
    I suggest people argue about this tomorrow. It is Her Majesty's birthday today and we should be paying respect to her. Whilst I agree that the Royal Family has taken some liberties, I'm sure that many agree that the Queen can't be held personally responsible for something that is beyond her control.
    I got called a **** at least six times on my birthday, there is no reason for the queen to be treated with more respect.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.