Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I had a recent email from Exeter... university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LtCommanderData)
    I had a recent email from Exeter... university
    I keep getting emails from Exeter, King's and Warwick, the three places I rejected, which is weird. :dontknow:

I've been in contact with a person who I think is the Admissions Officer called Sarah Jones, who's extremely helpful, and also the head of French, Nikolaj Lubecker with regards to the French reading list. Still awaiting the Linguistics one though. I haven't received any official stuff since the reading list was sent through months ago.

And Aberystwyth's gone quiet since I applied for accommodation, but should be hearing from them in the next week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meganeira)
    I keep getting emails from Exeter, King's and Warwick, the three places I rejected, which is weird. :dontknow:

I've been in contact with a person who I think is the Admissions Officer called Sarah Jones, who's extremely helpful, and also the head of French, Nikolaj Lubecker with regards to the French reading list. Still awaiting the Linguistics one though. I haven't received any official stuff since the reading list was sent through months ago.

And Aberystwyth's gone quiet since I applied for accommodation, but should be hearing from them in the next week.
    I keep getting them from King's as well! Did you get that one about King's Live? I was kind of tempted to go

ReputationRep:
    I've had hundreds of letters from Keele but only one from Oxford. I reckon they do it deliberately to stir up anticipation levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcgovernjon)
    I've had hundreds of letters from Keele but only one from Oxford. I reckon they do it deliberately to stir up anticipation levels
    Everyone's ignoring me these days.. Apart from Warwick who still spams me from time to time even though I've withdrawn :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    *sigh* I have an unconditional offer, it would be so convenient if they just sent all the forms and stuff over now so I can holiday around until september...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marocchino)
    Everyone's ignoring me these days.. Apart from Warwick who still spams me from time to time even though I've withdrawn :rolleyes:
    Manchester send me a newsletter every month or so, even though I rejected them aaaaages ago.

I keep wondering if my subject has a reading list? I've been sent all the language I need to learn over the summer and since I don't speak Latin yet, anything I read would be in translation and I'm not sure how useful that would be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riotgrrl)
    Manchester send me a newsletter every month or so, even though I rejected them aaaaages ago.

I keep wondering if my subject has a reading list? I've been sent all the language I need to learn over the summer and since I don't speak Latin yet, anything I read would be in translation and I'm not sure how useful that would be.
    Meanwhile, you have sixty-four pages of Latin vocab to amuse yourself with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sempiternitas)
    Meanwhile, you have sixty-four pages of Latin vocab to amuse yourself with.
    Wahay!

I got an email from Queen's today, but all it wanted was my contact details so they could send me more info over the summer.

ReputationRep:
    I want a reading list so I have a good reason not to get a job after exams

Although:
    a) still not really a good reason
    b) I need money
    c) it's really just so I don't have to go and do scary things like handing round CVs and interviews and have to deal with rejection
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flywithemma)
    I want a reading list so I have a good reason not to get a job after exams

Although:
    a) still not really a good reason
    b) I need money
    c) it's really just so I don't have to go and do scary things like handing round CVs and interviews and have to deal with rejection
    Same :P

There's also: Oh you're not allowed a job at oxford so...uhm...best get used to it...

ReputationRep:
    History people (I've noticed a few on here... shoshin, marieparis22?) - there's some really helpful undergrads over at the 'History at Oxford' thread who've given me some good book recommendations for some of the modules. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=31704174 if it's useful for you!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got a place at Wadham?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lumi Nous)
    History people (I've noticed a few on here... shoshin, marieparis22?) - there's some really helpful undergrads over at the 'History at Oxford' thread who've given me some good book recommendations for some of the modules. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=31704174 if it's useful for you!
    Thanks for that Looks like Struggle for Mastery is going to be pretty indispensable. Not too interested in anything pre-1789 myself, but we've got no choice but to do a Medieval module so I may as well get stuck in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shoshin)
    Thanks for that Looks like Struggle for Mastery is going to be pretty indispensable. Not too interested in anything pre-1789 myself, but we've got no choice but to do a Medieval module so I may as well get stuck in.
    I wouldn't worry too much about reading before you come to be honest. i literally did no reading whatsoever (for history) and i survived. Pretty much lived out of Struggle for Mastery and the Clanchy book in first term, and i'm not going to lie, pretty much just using them for revision at the moment as well! not that i'm slacking or anything...

ReputationRep:

Is Aberystwyth your second choice? Isn't it a bit awkward with Oxford's low offer.. one's insurance has to be rather a lot lower than Oxford :cool: Not that I'm complaining

PS Is everyone getting reading lists already? o_o I'm guessing Maths isn't too much of a.. verbal.. subject then..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zigzog7)
    Anyone got a place at Wadham?
    YEAH :woo:
    at least until I fail my exams, and then bang and the dream is gone.

what's your subject?

ReputationRep:
    Is Aberystwyth your second choice? Isn't it a bit awkward with Oxford's low offer.. one's insurance has to be rather a lot lower than Oxford :cool: Not that I'm complaining

PS Is everyone getting reading lists already? o_o I'm guessing Maths isn't too much of a.. verbal.. subject then..
    A lot of the PPEists have gotten their reading lists already but it really varies by college, some haven't heard anything. Seems to be down to how proactive the subject tutors at your college are.

ReputationRep:

I've only had French and that was months ago. I don't know when I'll be getting the Linguistics one.

And yeah Aber's my second choice. Oxford hasn't given me a low offer though... I've got to get 40 points, and all of the others were lower offers, but Aber was my favourite, so that's why I chose it as my Insurance.

ReputationRep:
    I've only had French and that was months ago. I don't know when I'll be getting the Linguistics one.

And yeah Aber's my second choice. Oxford hasn't given me a low offer though... I've got to get 40 points, and all of the others were lower offers, but Aber was my favourite, so that's why I chose it as my Insurance.
    I'm presuming you did the scholarship exams to get an unconditional? There's a boy in my history class who has an unconditional to study politics and IR at Aber...which he manages to remind us of at least once a lesson. Also annoying that he seems to have taken the 'ha I don't need to work but you do so I'll annoy you' approach to it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.