The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1520
Original post by Bella Occhi
Have you looked at the Leeds accommodation website?

Also I've written some advice here on the main factors you should consider when looking for accommodation. :h:

I'm constantly on the accomodation website, but just cannot make my mind up!! I definitely want an en suite and self-catered!!
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 1521
Have you looked at the Leeds accommodation website?

Also I've written some advice here on the main factors you should consider when looking for accommodation. :h:

looks like you've taken my place here :colonhash:

anyone down for tannery?!
Original post by dmz
looks like you've taken my place here :colonhash:

anyone down for tannery?!

Just being helpful :colondollar:
Reply 1523
Just being helpful :colondollar:

Haha and you do a great job :biggrin:
Charles Morrison - Storm Jameson Questions.

1) How many people share?

2) Since it is catered, do you get Posh snobby people or people on a budget?

3) What requirements do I enter for me to get SJ instead of D and W?
I've applied for Lyddon so can't answer everything, but I can say that I'm only going for catered because after spending a term at uni last year I found I spent way too much of my time on cooking or cleaning up after people! And I've worked it out as a much cheaper option, so I don't think you have to worry about your snobs! :smile:
Reply 1526
Original post by -Christabel-
yup IMO its the best accommodation for firsts years, tho keep in mind the fact that its the only accommodation I saw but I built up a a pretty good picture of the others through what I heard from others :biggrin:, but yh its nice to be so close to the student union, and all the other amenities on campus, and also close to the city centre.

And people who are current first/second years who I've asked said that the ones who were the happiest were those on campus, and tbh its just nice to know that you could roll out of bed just before your lecture and still make it on time :smile:

definitely plan on doing this, my buildings are right near henry so its all good :smile:
Original post by accomoffice
And there still is.

I'll usually only chip in if nobody else can answer a question or if someone says something that isn't right. :smile:

But you're absolutely correct about allocations. It's not first come first served; when we allocate the unconditional students, we set aside a proportion of all the accommodation (so if 25% of people are unconditional, we allocate 25% of the places at Dev, 25% at Bodington etc etc, leaving the remaining 75% for the 75% of people who are waiting for results). So everyone should have the same chance - if you don't get the place you want, it will usually be because too many other people want it as well.

Feel free to ask questions, anyone.

Hi! Does that mean if you have an unconditional you're more likely to get your choice? I'm unconditional English so that would be amazing for me! I think I'm going to apply for Lyddon Hall but I'm worried as I rang the accomm office for advice and they warned me that I could be allocated Boddington as an alternative.
Reply 1528
Original post by dreamtherestaway
Hi! Does that mean if you have an unconditional you're more likely to get your choice? I'm unconditional English so that would be amazing for me! I think I'm going to apply for Lyddon Hall but I'm worried as I rang the accomm office for advice and they warned me that I could be allocated Boddington as an alternative.

no same chance! She's basically saying that if 200 people apply for an accommodation with 100 places, 50 of them have Unconditional and 150 of them have conditional, they'd put 25 rooms apart for one with Unconditionals and 75 for conditionals so your chances are 50% regardless of the type of offer you have. (made up numbers and %:tongue: )
Hey,
I'm studying English and German at Leeds next year - so excited, but I'm having problems choosing accommodation... :s-smilie:

Does anyone know which of the student halls are organised into flats rather than corridors? The official accommodation website does say in most cases...

*doesn't say...
Original post by jo.rodgers92
Hey,
I'm studying English and German at Leeds next year - so excited, but I'm having problems choosing accommodation... :s-smilie:

Does anyone know which of the student halls are organised into flats rather than corridors? The official accommodation website does say in most cases...

I don't get what you mean by that :s-smilie: What's the difference?
btw, I'm doing English, so I'll see you there :biggrin:
Hey,

I'm not sure that any of them are corridors. Certainly all of the self-catering ones that I saw were organised into flats of five or so people.

Original post by hoopyfrood199

The only difference is that if you're in a flat there are, let's say, five of you. Your bedrooms, bathroom and kitchen are all behind a 'front door' to your flat. If you live in a corridor residence, I think you would just walk out of a stairwell onto any given floor and all the rooms would be along a long corridor with a kitchen and bathrooms at either end.

Like I said though, as far as I know, all of Leeds' accommodation is set out in flats.

Also: I'm also doing English, so I'll see you both around. :biggrin:
Original post by hoopyfrood199

Yay other english student :smile:

I mean for example in devonshire the rooms are arranged in flats with a shared kitchen area, but in other places the rooms just come out onto corridors, like a boarding school. I would prefer flats, as I think corridors can be a bit impersonal...

Also I have recently been diagnosed with coeliac disease (bascially I can't eat gluten). Does anyone know if the catered residences provide food for people with conditions like this?
Original post by Jordan M
I'm constantly on the accomodation website but i just can't make my mind up :frown: i know i want to be self-catered and en suite but that's about it! ah!

Well, the self-catered en-suite ones are:

Clarence Dock
Devonshire
Henry Price
James Baillie
Leodis
Oxley
Sentinel Towers
Tannery

You should have a look and consider price range, what facilities you want, distance from the uni. From what I hear - Devonshire is a bit posh and Bodington has a good social scene even though it's so far out. Don't know much about the others though.
Yay other english student :smile:

I mean for example in devonshire the rooms are arranged in flats with a shared kitchen area, but in other places the rooms just come out onto corridors, like a boarding school. I would prefer flats, as I think corridors can be a bit impersonal...

Also I have recently been diagnosed with coeliac disease (bascially I can't eat gluten). Does anyone know if the catered residences provide food for people with conditions like this?

IMO go self-catered. I'm diabetic, so while my diet requirements aren't as strict as yours I don't want to risk the menu not meeting my needs, so I've applied for Lupton :biggrin:.

I'm also doing English :awesome:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by dmz
no same chance! She's basically saying that if 200 people apply for an accommodation with 100 places, 50 of them have Unconditional and 150 of them have conditional, they'd put 25 rooms apart for one with Unconditionals and 75 for conditionals so your chances are 50% regardless of the type of offer you have. (made up numbers and %:tongue: )

Aw I'd got excited then! Really set on Lyddon now :frown: Thank you for that though!
Reply 1537
Original post by dreamtherestaway
Aw I'd got excited then! Really set on Lyddon now :frown: Thank you for that though!

you're welcome. I have unconditional as well cos i took a gap year but i doubt there'd be competition for my accommodation :tongue:
Reply 1538
lots of English students it seems
I have put Leeds as my insurance
Can anyone tell me when I need to have applied for accomodation by?

Latest