Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chronicles)
    For predictions or for A levels? For A levels everybody is always terrified I think. For predictions, they've agreed to back me so I guess that means they'll predict sufficient As.
    Predicted. In that case, then it should be smooth-sailing for you - you just need to meet the offers you'll be receiving. When do you intend to take the LNAT?

Good luck too!!:cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    all in all, good luck to both of you for your this cycle of apps then. with predicted or actual results, it is an equally nerve-wrecking process. hahaha, you will check the UCAS Track every single hour of the day for updates. thus the term Track Addict

goooood luck
    Woo, you sure love to reminisce the nerve-wrecking process. Haha, I can assure you that I'll check it every time I have access to the Internet. You know, there's this certain impulse within me that encourages me to apply for 2010 entry instead of 2011.(I'm sure you heard of the matriculating trick for Jan enlistees right?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melsonchun)
    Woo, you sure love to reminisce the nerve-wrecking process. Haha, I can assure you that I'll check it every time I have access to the Internet. You know, there's this certain impulse within me that encourages me to apply for 2010 entry instead of 2011.(I'm sure you heard of the matriculating trick for Jan enlistees right?)
    hahahah.. of course, i got 2 of my friends doing that this year. one Oxford E&M the other Oxford PPE. you are actually gonna attempt the november-push-forward-with-leave matriculation? consider carefullyyy man. you actually need to fly back to collect your IC, and then fly back to UK in time for your classes. and you DO still need to do DENTAL and MEDICAL FFI, which will be scheduled 1 month or less before your ORD date. and you still need to get your clearance forms signed, with the completion of the myORD quiz online (which is extremely annoying and time consuming from what i heard).

better ask your PC/OC/CO for permission before you go ahead with it. cause with their approval, the mindef side of things like ffi date and clearance forms are easier to change and suit your needs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    i didnt really catch what you were applying on this page of forums, so what are you applying for again? as in which course?

haha, sorry if you mentioned before and i missed out!

ahaha no worries. law. so yeah gotta take my LNATs. and melsonchun, i have no idea when! lol. I shall just follow the crowd in school when they go take theirs!

ReputationRep:
    ahaha no worries. law. so yeah gotta take my LNATs. and melsonchun, i have no idea when! lol. I shall just follow the crowd in school when they go take theirs!
    ahhhh i seeee.. prospective batch mate then if you do apply and get into KCL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    hahahah.. of course, i got 2 of my friends doing that this year. one Oxford E&M the other Oxford PPE. you are actually gonna attempt the november-push-forward-with-leave matriculation? consider carefullyyy man. you actually need to fly back to collect your IC, and then fly back to UK in time for your classes. and you DO still need to do DENTAL and MEDICAL FFI, which will be scheduled 1 month or less before your ORD date. and you still need to get your clearance forms signed, with the completion of the myORD quiz online (which is extremely annoying and time consuming from what i heard).

better ask your PC/OC/CO for permission before you go ahead with it. cause with their approval, the mindef side of things like ffi date and clearance forms are easier to change and suit your needs.
    Haha! One question, colleges in london start lessons towards the end of sep right?

Actually I have asked my csm about it - official disruption for studies is not allowed for uk bound jc students. As i ord on 8 nov 2010, i am thinking of getting a week of overseas leave during the week for orientation and stuff, get the relevant stuff that needs to be read and will be covered during the first few weeks of lessons that i'll be missing, then return and read them at home or in camp. You know, towards the end of your service term, you are pretty much "untouchable" and in this sense, i'm hoping to seek my csm's understanding to allow me to not report to camp(maybe once or so a week) and do my study at home. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    great. Do you have facebook?

ReputationRep:
    Haha! One question, colleges in london start lessons towards the end of sep right?

Actually I have asked my csm about it - official disruption for studies is not allowed for uk bound jc students. As i ord on 8 nov 2010, i am thinking of getting a week of overseas leave during the week for orientation and stuff, get the relevant stuff that needs to be read and will be covered during the first few weeks of lessons that i'll be missing, then return and read them at home or in camp. You know, towards the end of your service term, you are pretty much "untouchable" and in this sense, i'm hoping to seek my csm's understanding to allow me to not report to camp(maybe once or so a week) and do my study at home. What do you think?
    I don't have to go for NS, *obviously* but this is my two cents worth: you could well miss half of one term of your program, which would make that term not really worth it if you see what I mean?

Though I can see the downsides of starting a whole ear later!

ReputationRep:
    What vocation are you in? It is possible to just take leave and cover everything else with off (*technically off cannot go overseas, but unless you have something outstanding and your unit HAS to call you back...) to go overseas, and asking someone else to collect your IC on your behalf. Much easier if you're service personnel as opposed to say, combatants. Of course, also got a lot of factors like whether your unit is on any callback (you *can* and *will* be called back, even if you are about to ORD eg, Mas Selamat, but that's a bit of a black swan), whether you have cleared SOC/IPPT, whether you have passed everything down to your understudy. Usually, regulars are quite reasonable. I have had two people from my company doing just that, starting university education a year earlier. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of them, because I ORDed in Dec, but I did manage to take a month or more worth of leave/off.

ReputationRep:

usually its the first week of october the term starts.. you have to be flown in by the last week of september to settle in and settle bank accounts and move into your accommodation and such.

and from what i know, usually those who opt for this packed-schedule-matriculation, they give the orientation a miss, not the lessons. they miss the orientation and maybe miss one day of lessons here and there.

if you are really intent on going in next year, dont apply leave this year. as in dont take it, ask your csm whether can covert to paper leave then you apply like 28days worth next year, although half of the 28 will not be official overseas leave, but still if your csm/oc can cover one eye, its possible for your cause.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narev)
    What vocation are you in? It is possible to just take leave and cover everything else with off (*technically off cannot go overseas, but unless you have something outstanding and your unit HAS to call you back...) to go overseas, and asking someone else to collect your IC on your behalf. Much easier if you're service personnel as opposed to say, combatants. Of course, also got a lot of factors like whether your unit is on any callback (you *can* and *will* be called back, even if you are about to ORD eg, Mas Selamat, but that's a bit of a black swan), whether you have cleared SOC/IPPT, whether you have passed everything down to your understudy. Usually, regulars are quite reasonable. I have had two people from my company doing just that, starting university education a year earlier. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of them, because I ORDed in Dec, but I did manage to take a month or more worth of leave/off.
    I'm currently in HQ8 brigade. So, gathering from what you've said (something abt covering everything with off), can i say that so long permission is granted, you're allowed to use your offs for overseas trip? or have i misconstrued your message? Since I do not have to personally collect my IC, I can practically use 7 days of leave to fly over earlier and start lessons? (do they actually enforce the "no 9 working days of leave in a row"?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    usually its the first week of october the term starts.. you have to be flown in by the last week of september to settle in and settle bank accounts and move into your accommodation and such.

and from what i know, usually those who opt for this packed-schedule-matriculation, they give the orientation a miss, not the lessons. they miss the orientation and maybe miss one day of lessons here and there.

if you are really intent on going in next year, dont apply leave this year. as in dont take it, ask your csm whether can covert to paper leave then you apply like 28days worth next year, although half of the 28 will not be official overseas leave, but still if your csm/oc can cover one eye, its possible for your cause.
    I see, and can "offs" counted as unofficial overseas leave in this sense? Cause I am pretty confident that i can chalk up a pretty substantial number of offs from my 1year more in service. Or does it vary from unit to unit?

ReputationRep:
    I see, and can "offs" counted as unofficial overseas leave in this sense? Cause I am pretty confident that i can chalk up a pretty substantial number of offs from my 1year more in service. Or does it vary from unit to unit?
    varies from unit to unit. normally the standard trick is to spot your overseas leave with off during the month.

and in actual fact, its your unit which controls your overseas movement cause by indicating overseas leave, you are saying you are in fact out of the country, so you cannot be recalled. off is simply compensation for you working overtime or some other reason, so SAF can recall you if need be.

so if internally unit-wise, your CO/OC/PC/CSM gives you explicit permission (you can discuss with S1 for leeway as well), you can actually go overseas, under the table of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    varies from unit to unit. normally the standard trick is to spot your overseas leave with off during the month.

and in actual fact, its your unit which controls your overseas movement cause by indicating overseas leave, you are saying you are in fact out of the country, so you cannot be recalled. off is simply compensation for you working overtime or some other reason, so SAF can recall you if need be.

so if internally unit-wise, your CO/OC/PC/CSM gives you explicit permission (you can discuss with S1 for leeway as well), you can actually go overseas, under the table of course.
    Hmm, thanks for all the information. I do think I need more time to decide if it's a worthwhile cause again - after all, I am not all that excited in joining the rat's race that soon, I am just worried that the state of my brain - after 3 years of low activity, would even render secondary school mathematics equally incomprehensible, thus my eagerness to start as soon as possible. i'm sure gi. can relate to this easily right! haha!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, thanks for all the information. I do think I need more time to decide if it's a worthwhile cause again - after all, I am not all that excited in joining the rat's race that soon, I am just worried that the state of my brain - after 3 years of low activity, would even render secondary school mathematics equally incomprehensible, thus my eagerness to start as soon as possible. i'm sure gi. can relate to this easily right! haha!
    hahaha.. quite right i can relate. im dying to go university or any form of studying and putting me under stress with exams and deadline.

but with that november-take-leave-matriculation plan of yours, if you are ready to assimilate that fast from army to university its fine i guess. but personally i need to flush out the military stuff in my system (including army lingo) to actually join back the mainstream.. haha. but its up to you i guess.

if you are ready and with the proper approvals, its worth it to cut the one year i guess. albeit in a hectic manner.

ReputationRep:
    However, wouldn't you have missed pre-departure events and the various gatherings/socials which the year 1 freshers would have organized? It's far better to enter a year later, but at least know almost everyone before going there, than to join last minute, and find yourself in an awkward position when everyone else has already formed cliques or so.

A year extra wouldn't render secondary school mathematics incomprehensible, trust me on this :P It may even make it clearer.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm okay. Decide on deferred entry after all; after soliciting my tutors opinions on it. Thank you for all your time~!! All of you have been great help, especially gi. and Narev. Anyone who's confused over anything, fire away your questions here..!!

ReputationRep:
    Hello people!
    How is the structure of your teacher's reference like?
    My teacher asked me to do a draft for him to vet.Seriously,I am really clueless as to how the presentation of the information should be like.Hope you guys can give me some advice!

On a sidenote,I am applying for Medicine!(2010entry)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crystalline)
    Hello people!
    My teacher asked me to do a draft for him to vet.Seriously,I am really clueless as to how the presentation of the information should be like.Hope you guys can give me some advice!

heya. Your teacher should really be doing this...most students don't even get to view their references. Try persuading another teacher whom you like maybe? Unless there are teachers lurking around here, it would be difficult to say what the reference should have, the tone of it etc. My teacher has been going on and on about how they have to "strike the right tone" and admissions officers being clever enought o pick up on subtle things.

On the bright side, I suppose then you can paint yourself a beautiful picture! Try posting in the more general forums. Teachers might help you there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crystalline)
    Hello people!

if your teacher is not a new jc teacher or something, as long as UCAS is not totally foreign to the teacher, he/she should be able to write it, since the teacher probably had throngs of students before.

you can probably give your teacher the gist of what you would like included, things to emphasize on in relation to your interest in pursuing medicine and such.

one good thing to come out from this is, you probably can save A LOT of characters in your PS, cause you can ask your teacher to include some of the points, thus saving your PS for other things you need to write. no need for repeated or overlapping points.

and where are ya applying for med? good luck for it, with all the interviews and BMAT/UKCAT.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.