Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

15 August 2013 A-Level results: Discussion thread - results day is here! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Oh and the exam board was AQA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PythianLegume)
    No, most people have to go into college.
    Wow, thank The Lord for my college then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well, they don't let anyone in. I imagine their standards for letting people in decrease as clearing goes in, if they don't look like they will fill places. But primarily universities want to fill up, so basically it's first-come, first-serve. But like I say, they do have standards - they don't let any old fool in.
    So any of us receiving results late are at a massive disadvantage?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElChapo)
    Is clearing as easy as first come first serve? Is there not more to it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Think it depends on the UNI and the grades that they are asking for. Remember people get into OXBRIDGE in adjustment and pretty much every UNI will have places. I guess it will be slightly easier than in the past due to the high fees which they only get if they fill their spaces

Scrap what I have said everyone I have just been corrected which is why the SR is good. I thought people who got an interview but didn't get in got the chance to apply if they exceeded their results.

However, I have just been informed
    (Original post by emma2013)
    Oxford and Cambridge do not participate in adjustment and clearing. Until about 2003 Cam had education courses regularly in clearing, but do not expect it to happen again. Cambridge do have a 'summer pool', but this is only for people who already had an offer originally.
    I kinda knew about the education part but obviously got mixed up well at least I have cleared this mistake SOZ for the wrong information
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Divergent)
    Same! I keep worrying I'm going to be in a double bed catered room, then I've spent £150 on stuff for nothing :P
    It is! IKEA had a pack of 3 saucepans for like £5?
    Haha, I'm supposedly in catered accommodation too, but food is still really expensive so I'll probably do a lot of cooking (haven't actually investigated the state of the kitchens yet though, although I've been assured that they do have some somewhere...)
    It was £6 for the saucepans... they didn't have lids though and mum managed to persuade me not to buy them If I can't find anything else I'll go back and buy them!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    You mean 4 plates, 4 bowls? That's clearly more than enough - imo, one is enough . Also, 3 pans? I'm not sure I've ever seen my parents use 3 pans at once - what crazy gourmet dishes are you making? :eek:
    Yeah all those and my family tend to always use 3 different things at a time, also I may not want to wash up straight away or have friends over too, so I have the possibility with them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElChapo)
    So any of us receiving results late are at a massive disadvantage?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Clearing happens over many days - you won't be significantly disadvantaged for getting your results later than others.

(Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    Haha, I'm supposedly in catered accommodation too, but food is still really expensive so I'll probably do a lot of cooking (haven't actually investigated the state of the kitchens yet though, although I've been assured that they do have some somewhere...)
    It was £6 for the saucepans... they didn't have lids though and mum managed to persuade me not to buy them If I can't find anything else I'll go back and buy them!
    My catered accommodation only gives us a kettle, microwave and toaster. I'm going to have to start learning how to make proper meals using just a microwave and boiling water

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Release their grade boundaries on the day of the exam not before
    Oh!! Thanks for that!

Did anyone else do AQA Psychology B?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by MathsNerd1)
    I'm getting 3 saucepans and 2 frying pans for £30 which I thought was good
    That does seem pretty good - where did you get them from?

ReputationRep:
    I had a heart attack last night when my firm emailed me with the subject being."exciting times ahead!" Meanies! Maybe it's a good sign haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    That does seem pretty good - where did you get them from?
    On the Argos website, in red colour too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingdoo)
    Who else gets their results late. I receive mine at 10:00am but I don't know if this is just for AS levels for for the A2's as well. I'd rather get them at like 8:00
    I don't get mine until the afternoon. ON FRIDAY :mad2:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    My catered accommodation only gives us a kettle, microwave and toaster. I'm going to have to start learning how to make proper meals using just a microwave and boiling water
    :eek: I think I get a kettle (with the room), and in the kitchen: microwave, basic hob, possibly an oven (it depends which accommodation I'm allocated), some storage space.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by MathsNerd1)
    On the Argos website, in red colour too
    awesome - I'll have a look

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Divergent)
    6am? Lucky! I don't get mine till 9am.
    that's not fair tbh, it should be all at the same time. Because otherwise people getting theirs first will have an advantage with clearing and may take up all the places first :/

ReputationRep:
    My catered accommodation only gives us a kettle, microwave and toaster. I'm going to have to start learning how to make proper meals using just a microwave and boiling water [/QUOTE]

If it's catered why would you need to learn to make other meals??

ReputationRep:
    So, I left this thread for an hour. Now there's like 20 posts about IKEA. Anyone bother explaining?

ReputationRep:
    :eek: I think I get a kettle (with the room), and in the kitchen: microwave, basic hob, possibly an oven (it depends which accommodation I'm allocated), some storage space.
    I wish we at least got a hob - that completely opens up what you can cook. You can't even have a fry-up without a hob! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Hotpie)
    I don't get mine until the afternoon. ON FRIDAY :mad2:
    Unfortunate and WHY???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChloeBonner)
    If it's catered why would you need to learn to make other meals??
    Because sometimes I don't want to have to pay for canteen food, which is always going to be more expensive than home-cooked. Also, you're restricted to specific eating times. I would've gone self-catered if I had that option.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.