Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone!

Quick question....I want to apply for Schools Direct through the University of Gloucestershire...but it's not even coming up on the search, let alone showing it's open. When I search for Schools Direct programmes it comes up with a list of schools..is this right or am I looking in the wrong place? The school I work at now takes Schools Direct students through the Uni of Gloucestershire, so that would be ideal, but I can't find it! Any help would be appreciated. xxx

ReputationRep:
    I haven't put my individual modules down, the Help text suggested that was mainly for primary, if you're applying for secondary+ I think you just need to show here that you have the 50% requirement (your degree has to be made up of at least 50% of the subject you want to teach).

I am applying for a post-compulsory education and training PGCE and I just put my two main subjects - Sociology and Criminology - and how many credits each subject is of my overall degree. I don't think they need to know all my individual modules, just need to know that Sociology (what I want to teach) makes up at least 50% of my degree, which it does, more than! Hopefully this is right, anyway.... this is just how I understood it personally. I think if you're doing primary they do want module names, as you need to show how your course relates to the primary curriculum, especially important if your degree is in something like psychology!

I am having an issue with the work experience section. There are only 20 lines and I have four lots of work experience - is just the place/location, dates and 3-4 lines of what I did there enough? With no in-depth descriptive stuff? I mean I used my PS to expand on what I had learnt, etc. so I don't see why I'd need to do it here... and tbh there's not enough space to!

What is everyone else doing for this section?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm on the last bit 'check form' and I've pressed save everything is ticked but I don't know whether it has sent or not is just says 'The availability of your choices may change between now and when you pay and send your application to UCAS. You can finalise them up until just before you pay and send your application to Ucas is there a final page you get to when fully completed?

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh doesn't matter I've worked it out! xxx

ReputationRep:
    Just two quick questions.

On the personal statement, it seems to be very strict about the statement checks. I applied last year and the statement I'm using this year is just a reworked version of last years PS. Some of the sentences will likely be exactly the same, is this an issue.

On the School and work experience bit, I have loads of different experiences and want to include as much as possible. The example they give doesn't really give any detail on responsibilities and knowledge/ experience gained. Is it just for a quick note of each placement, or am I best giving a brief bit of info on the experiences?

Thanks in advance to whoever is lovely enough to answer these questions. I hope all your applications are going well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deja Vu)
    I haven't put my individual modules down, the Help text suggested that was mainly for primary, if you're applying for secondary+ I think you just need to show here that you have the 50% requirement (your degree has to be made up of at least 50% of the subject you want to teach).

I am applying for a post-compulsory education and training PGCE and I just put my two main subjects - Sociology and Criminology - and how many credits each subject is of my overall degree. I don't think they need to know all my individual modules, just need to know that Sociology (what I want to teach) makes up at least 50% of my degree, which it does, more than! Hopefully this is right, anyway.... this is just how I understood it personally. I think if you're doing primary they do want module names, as you need to show how your course relates to the primary curriculum, especially important if your degree is in something like psychology!

I am having an issue with the work experience section. There are only 20 lines and I have four lots of work experience - is just the place/location, dates and 3-4 lines of what I did there enough? With no in-depth descriptive stuff? I mean I used my PS to expand on what I had learnt, etc. so I don't see why I'd need to do it here... and tbh there's not enough space to!

What is everyone else doing for this section?
    I would like the answer to this last bit also!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neonlj)
    Just two quick questions.

On the personal statement, it seems to be very strict about the statement checks. I applied last year and the statement I'm using this year is just a reworked version of last years PS. Some of the sentences will likely be exactly the same, is this an issue.

On the School and work experience bit, I have loads of different experiences and want to include as much as possible. The example they give doesn't really give any detail on responsibilities and knowledge/ experience gained. Is it just for a quick note of each placement, or am I best giving a brief bit of info on the experiences?

Thanks in advance to whoever is lovely enough to answer these questions. I hope all your applications are going well!
    Yes, that is a massive issue. You cannot reuse the same personal statement, nor reuse certain parts of it. You need to completely reword it.

They use software such as Turnitin to detect plagiarism, and your PS will be flagged up if you submit the same one (or parts of it the same) as last year.

ReputationRep:
    When you paste your personal statement into the box, will the unis read it as it's formatted in word? I can't fit it in with paragraph spacing :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    why can't i click on pay and send????????????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by graceindia)
    Ohhh doesn't matter I've worked it out! xxx
    could you tell me how please? stuck on this :mad:

ReputationRep:
    What are we meant to do if we don't have our GCSE awarding body certificates? If we put unknown we still have to put something there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemmac2382)
    why can't i click on pay and send????????????
    You need to click on references and send them first before you pay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    thank you was getting stressed searching through all the sections thinking i have missed a tiny detail out or forgot to tick a box!

just want this form sent in now.... been waiting too long to get to this point

be glad when its sent in! :banana::dance:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deja Vu)
    Yes, that is a massive issue. You cannot reuse the same personal statement, nor reuse certain parts of it. You need to completely reword it.

They use software such as Turnitin to detect plagiarism, and your PS will be flagged up if you submit the same one (or parts of it the same) as last year.
    Ah Crap, this is going to bugger everything up now.

ReputationRep:
    This may be a stupid question... should I put the university I'm currently studying in with my secondary school under 'education'? The third section is solely for your degree, but do they expect you to also put the university you're currently at in that bit with the previous education?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancing_shoes92)
    What are we meant to do if we don't have our GCSE awarding body certificates? If we put unknown we still have to put something there!
    Are you able to email the school to took them at to have them tell you? Are you sure you haven't got the certificates lying around in a dusty corner somewhere?

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, please can anyone give me any advice? I have a 2:1 in BSc Biology, but only a D in GCSE Science.... I completed an Access to Higher Education to get onto my degree course. Am I able to apply for a PGCE without a C in Science taking into account my other qualifications? Many thanks
    If you want to do secondary then you're fine with a C or above in English and Maths. If you want to do primary then you also need the C in science.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    could you tell me how please? stuck on this :mad:
    my computer was stopping a pop up from appearing so i pressed on it in the address bar and it was just another window coming up to say that once I accept I will be unable to make anymore changes, so press that and it should work, hope this helps! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeffercake)
    One is probably salaried.

My PS is 5 lines over! That PS checker someone posted earlier didnt bloody work!
    I know. I also logged into normal UCAS a few days ago and my PS fit into their box of 47 lines and 4000 characters so I expected it all to be fine. This also happened last year where I had to cut about 5 lines out, very frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Are you supposed to be able to pay immediately after sending the reference requests? Or do you have to wait until the references have been input in to the system?

I've just requested my references but it's not letting me access the Pay/send section yet.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.