Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mateimatei)
    any1 applied to merton ?
    what score did you get roughly on the mat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceKidd)
    what score did you get roughly on the mat?
    i have no ideea...i thinks it's safe to say i won't get below 60......if i'm lucky i could get 75 maybe a little bit more... i dunno...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept)
    Joint M&CS to either CS or M is relatively easy. The way the course is structured you do the core of each of the two single subjects. So you won't have missed anything. The tutors just need to agree it's ok. It happens a few times each year.

Maths to Maths & CS is harder. You will have missed out on some of the important core parts of the course. It really depends on your individual situation and how far down the track it is. (There is crossover between core Maths and core CS.) Sometimes - especially if it's a long way into the course - it can mean starting the first year again, in order to get the core Comp in. The process is talk to your tutor, who would then talk to the CompSci tutors, who would then talk to you and see what seems sensible.

Don't forget, as an Oxford student you can sit in on lectures in other Depts. (It's common courtesy to ask the course leader, but it's generally not a problem.) So if you started having doubts about your course choice over the summer you could feasibly sit in on the first few lectures of term if you were thinking about making the switch. Also, you can for example join things like the CompSoc - the Oxford Computer Science Society - and develop your interest that way.

Going back to your original question: for Maths and Maths&Stats it's very simple. To quote the Stats Admissions website "The Mathematics and Statistics course has essentially the same structure as the straight Mathematics
    course, but with greater emphasis on statistically related subjects. For the first year and the first term of the second year, the courses are identical. <snip> A key feature of the course is its flexibility and transfer between Mathematics
    and Statistics and the straight Mathematics course is possible until well into the
    second year."
    http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/__data/ass...BA_Leaflet.pdf
    Has oxford finished marking MAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yxcai)
    Uh, no. They said they'll start marking midweek or later this week.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yl95)
    Uh, no. They said they'll start marking midweek or later this week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think we have to wait until early Dec to hear from oxford~

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yxcai)
    I think we have to wait until early Dec to hear from oxford~
    Yeah. Late November if we're lucky.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gavinlowe)
    Tutors see all of the above. The breakdown of marks by question will be on the database that we use, so very easily available. The tutors at the first-choice college receive the paper (and other tutors can ask to see it). As you say, it's time-consuming to study every script in detail, but often scripts of border-line candidates will be looked at.
    Great, that makes perfect sense. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when the mark scheme will be up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yxcai)
    It should be finished today, at least for the vast majority of candidates. It should have been finished yesterday, but ATS failed to deliver most of the scripts on time . A few scripts will probably drift in later, and be marked as they arrive.

ReputationRep:
    It should be finished today, at least for the vast majority of candidates. It should have been finished yesterday, but ATS failed to deliver most of the scripts on time . A few scripts will probably drift in later, and be marked as they arrive.
    Oh wow, that's quick. Roughly when will invitations start being sent out because subjects who don't have admissions tests have started sending theirs out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yl95)
    Oh wow, that's quick. Roughly when will invitations start being sent out because subjects who don't have admissions tests have started sending theirs out?
    That takes longer, unfortunately. There's a deadline of 2nd December for tutors to decide (and then it takes colleges a few days to send out letters) -- but I'm going to try to move things more quickly in Computer Science and joint schools.

ReputationRep:
    That takes longer, unfortunately. There's a deadline of 2nd December for tutors to decide (and then it takes colleges a few days to send out letters) -- but I'm going to try to move things more quickly in Computer Science and joint schools.
    Hello,
    I was wondering if there's any possibility of the math and CS departments releasing statistical information like score range, standard deviation, etc for the MAT the way the physics department does for the PAT. Or a complete score distribution, perhaps? I've gone through the previous reports, I know that only the mean scores among all candidates, interviewed candidates, and accepted candidates are usually declared. I'm aware that this might not be that important, but it can help people taking this 2013 paper at home next year for MAT practice to estimate their percentile accurately from the score they obtain.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, OK. Thanks for the information. It'd be great if you kept us updated once in a while about the current situation so that we know when to expect replies.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for all this information, I'm feeling a bit in the dark when it comes to Oxford but I guess that's to be expected for now haha.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone knows when Imperial College will send offers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yxcai)
    Anyone knows when Imperial College will send offers?
    Everybody is in the same position- unless they work at Imperial maths department im guessing they dont

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by souktik)
    Hello,
    I was wondering if there's any possibility of the math and CS departments releasing statistical information like score range, standard deviation, etc for the MAT the way the physics department does for the PAT. Or a complete score distribution, perhaps? I've gone through the previous reports, I know that only the mean scores among all candidates, interviewed candidates, and accepted candidates are usually declared. I'm aware that this might not be that important, but it can help people taking this 2013 paper at home next year for MAT practice to estimate their percentile accurately from the score they obtain.
    Can we come back to you on that one? I image we can do something. But, as you can probably guess, we're up to our eyeballs in admissions stuff at the moment. Once it's calmed down a bit I can certainly look into it.

ReputationRep:
    Can we come back to you on that one? I image we can do something. But, as you can probably guess, we're up to our eyeballs in admissions stuff at the moment. Once it's calmed down a bit I can certainly look into it.
    Hello! On the website it has been mentioned that the IIT JEE rank might be a part of the offerfor Indian applicants for some subjects.is that applicable to mathematics and mathematics and computer science?
    Thank you in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by revelry26)
    Hello! On the website it has been mentioned that the IIT JEE rank might be a part of the offerfor Indian applicants for some subjects.is that applicable to mathematics and mathematics and computer science?
    Thank you in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes it's possible. If that's an exam that the candidate has indicated they are/have taken, then it could be used as part of the standard conditional offer. I can't off the top of my head think of a CompSci offer to an Indian candidate that has included it, but it's only recently that we've started accepting these qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's possible. If that's an exam that the candidate has indicated they are/have taken, then it could be used as part of the standard conditional offer. I can't off the top of my head think of a CompSci offer to an Indian candidate that has included it, but it's only recently that we've started accepting these qualifications.
    If it hasn't been mentioned whether the candidate is taking that exam, is it still likely to be a part of the offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.