Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samuel.Winnall)
    Hey guys, I was just wondering if you could help me out a bit...

My GCSEs weren't great, only one A* (in philosophy of all things), eight 'A's and one B; several modules were A*s but not enough. However, my AS levels last week were good and I'm on track for three A*s as well as an A in Further Maths which I'm doing as an extra mostly next year. All my teachers are telling me to apply to Oxbridge for Physics/Natural Sciences (I prefer Oxford though due to the course) but I am wary... At the end of the day I think it'll come down to Oxford's entrance exam. If I nail it, do I stand a solid chance of getting an interview? Oh and I come from a deprived state school down by the sea..

Any response would be gladly appreciated! ^_^
    Yes, do well at the PAT and they'll interview you. (Some details here:
    http://www.merton.ox.ac.uk/sites/mer...2014-final.pdf)

Definitely go for Oxford if you prefer the course

ReputationRep:
    Hey just thinking about applications and stuff and starting to look at Oxford
    AS Levels: AAAA
    A2 predictions: A*A*A*A*
    EPQ: monoclonal antibodies!!
    Course: Medicine/Chemistry (not sure if a fifth option yet)
    College: Not sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ana_ducu)
    I am a non-UK applicant excited about the Biomedical Sciences undergraduate degree. Can you give me some advice with some things, please:
    1) What score is needed for BMAT in order to be shortlisted, if u don't have any GCSEs?
    2) The interview... how was it??? - better safe than sorry-
    3) I will be seating the Romanian Baccalaureate next summer and it's no problem regarding Oxford and any other university that am going to apply to, but at UCL they require both biology and chemistry, whereas at this type of baccalaureate you can only sit an exam at one science from chemistry, biology, physics and computer science. Should I also sit the A-levels?
    (1) There's some stats on BMAT here:
    http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/bms...ons-statistics Doesn't fully answer your question, but gives you some idea.

(3) I'd email UCL about it. But if you can sit A levels, that might be a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    Fluteflute, you seem like a bit of a fount of knowledge! I've read Oxford's website and admissions and application info repeatedly, but I wondered if maybe you knew? I haven't yet seen any other mature Oxford applicants posting here for 2016 entry or on the Stalking thread, is it particularly uncommon for maturer students to apply? I wonder if my chances are that much lower than those who are coming straight out of school? x
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Thanks Eux for bringing this to my attention

(Original post by Aufully)
    Hi,
    I'm considering applying to read Music at Oxford but I don't know whether a) I'll have enough to comfortably get in b) whether I'm too late to be thinking of going and c) if it's a good course? So many questions... My grades at GCSE are 4A*'s and 5 A's and I've done AS's twice at two different colleges with my recent results being AAAB.
    Any help would be welcome!
    a) Not too sure what you mean by this. Are you worried you won't get AAA at A2?

b) Not too late at all!

c) Well that depends on your definition of a good course. I think it's a pretty awesome course, though first year is a bit restrictive because almost everything is compulsory and there's little of your own choice in there.

As for your grades, they are more than fine! That is, assuming that the B is in something other than music? :musicus:

If you wanna chat more, do feel free to PM me and I'll reply when possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    (1) There's some stats on BMAT here:
    http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/bms...ons-statistics Doesn't fully answer your question, but gives you some idea.

(3) I'd email UCL about it. But if you can sit A levels, that might be a good idea.
    Thank you very much ^^

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs - 8A*s 1A and an A in FSMQ Add Maths
    AS Levels - AAAAA Maths, Physics, Chemistry, History, Further Maths
    Course - Engineering Science
    College - Balliol but still undecided

I really think I could make a make a good application to oxford. I loved it on the open day and the department was great, preferred it much more than cambidge. I was wandering about the PAT test though, anyone know how hard it is? What level knowledge is expected?

Good luck to the rest of you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bitofageek)
    GCSEs - 8A*s 1A and an A in FSMQ Add Maths
    AS Levels - AAAAA Maths, Physics, Chemistry, History, Further Maths
    Course - Engineering Science
    College - Balliol but still undecided

I really think I could make a make a good application to oxford. I loved it on the open day and the department was great, preferred it much more than cambidge. I was wandering about the PAT test though, anyone know how hard it is? What level knowledge is expected?

Good luck to the rest of you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The PAT is designed to be pretty tough, but doable as it's aimed at people who have just started A2. There's a "syllabus" on the website which is just a list of topics, so it's not very helpful but you should definitely read it to check you've covered everything. The level of knowledge is mostly AS for maths and physics, although I definitely found a few physics topics that we didn't do until the beginning of A2 so you might need to do a little self studying before you start attempting papers, and it will vary depending on your exam board. I'd advise starting to work on it as soon as possible if you're planning on taking it! I sat it last year so feel free to ask if you've got any more questions, although I'm doing physics not engineering

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs - 9A* 2A
    AS Levels - AAAA Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Chemistry
    Course - Economics and Management
    College - Exeter

Just a few questions:
    Is the TSA challenging and how significant a factor does the TSA play in shortlisting for interview?
    Will I be at an instant disadvantage since I have Bs in some applied maths modules or do Oxford not care too much about module grades?
    How much weighting should my PS dedicate to the management aspect of the degree being as I'm applying to pure Econ elsewhere?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azula)
    Hey just thinking about applications and stuff and starting to look at Oxford
    AS Levels: AAAA
    EPQ: monoclonal antibodies!!
    Course: Medicine/Chemistry (not sure if a fifth option yet)
    College: Not sure
    Oxford will straight out reject you if you apply for chemistry as a medicine backup!

Are your GCSEs strong? Oxford medicine selection relies strongly on number of A*s, as well as the BMAT.

ReputationRep:
    Guys I need seriously honest opinions - I am applying for Law, have a really strong personal statement although I got 2A*s and 9As at GCSE. I should do well on the LNAT as have done well in some practises. I got AABB for my AS's but one is 1 mark off an A so should go up. I am on track and predicted to get at least 3 As next year and should get 2A*s. I am worried that my GCSE grades are just not strong enough - I go to a private school and know they look at backgrounds when viewing applications. What are my chances realistically? Should I bother?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KombatWombat)
    Oxford will straight out reject you if you apply for chemistry as a medicine backup!

Are your GCSEs strong? Oxford medicine selection relies strongly on number of A*s, as well as the BMAT.
    Oh really I didn't know that?? How comes, I thought you would get a separate personal statement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azula)
    Oh really I didn't know that?? How comes, I thought you would get a separate personal statement?
    No, only 1 personal statement to cover all 5 choices.

They want people committed enough to chemistry, not people who are unlikely to take the place if they're offered it!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I am trying to decide whether I am better suited to Oxford or Cambridge so please give me some advice and tips. Here are my stats:

GCSEs: 13A*s and 1A (one of the A*s is a Level 2 AQA Further Maths Certificate which counts as an IGCSE)
    AS Level (Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Biology) : 4As
    A2 Predictions: A*AA (possibly A*A*A)
    AS UMS average: 91%
    Course: Medicine
    College: Open Application

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antisansculotte)
    Hi! Looking to apply for History, potentially at Brasenose, but I need to visit Oxford.

My GCSE results aren't stellar - 4 A*'s, 4 A's, 1 B, 1 C. My AS results are 5 A's in English Lit, History, French, RE and Philosophy.

Most likely will be taking History, French and English OR Philosophy next year.

Do I stand a realistic chance?
    I got AABC at AS and 2 A*s, 7 As, 2 Bs at GCSE. I'm now going into my second year of History at Oxford. You'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivoryfall)
    Fluteflute, you seem like a bit of a fount of knowledge! I've read Oxford's website and admissions and application info repeatedly, but I wondered if maybe you knew? I haven't yet seen any other mature Oxford applicants posting here for 2016 entry or on the Stalking thread, is it particularly uncommon for maturer students to apply? I wonder if my chances are that much lower than those who are coming straight out of school? x
    Mature students are certainly in a minority, but that doesn't mean your chances are lower (I wouldn't be surprised if mature students are less likely to post on TSR as well)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iluv)
    Hi guys, I am trying to decide whether I am better suited to Oxford or Cambridge so please give me some advice and tips. Here are my stats:

GCSEs: 13A*s and 1A (one of the A*s is a Level 2 AQA Further Maths Certificate which counts as an IGCSE)
    AS Level (Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Biology) : 4As
    A2 Predictions: A*AA (possibly A*A*A)
    AS UMS average: 91%
    College: Open Application
    Your grades don't make your more suited to one over the other. Apply to whichever you want to be at most.

(Although Oxford has twice as many applicants per place as Cambridge.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by politicalmind)
    Guys I need seriously honest opinions - I am applying for Law, have a really strong personal statement although I got 2A*s and 9As at GCSE. I should do well on the LNAT as have done well in some practises. I got AABB for my AS's but one is 1 mark off an A so should go up. I am on track and predicted to get at least 3 As next year and should get 2A*s. I am worried that my GCSE grades are just not strong enough - I go to a private school and know they look at backgrounds when viewing applications. What are my chances realistically? Should I bother?
    I'm not sure how GCSEs are used in the Law shortlisting process. You've got nothing to loose by applying and seeing what happens?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lainathiel)
    I'm sneaking over here from the Cambridge page - I've been stalking both forums for ages but have written on neither, but now I'm leaning slightly towards Oxford, mainly because I'm worried about my UMS average. I think I need to visit again just to be sure about applying, but I'll post anyway!

GCSEs: 12 A*
    AS Levels: AAAA (average 93.5%) I also took AS French in year 11 and got a B, but didn't continue it in year 12.
    College: Magdalen was my favourite when I last visited, or maybe St John's/ Trinity.

Still not sure between Oxford or Cambridge as I think I prefer Cambridge slightly more as a city. Then again, I was only there a few days and the weather was much nicer than when I was at Oxford, hmm... :' If anyone wants to try to steer me towards Oxford, that would be very helpful as to making up my mind!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by buzzfeed23)
    Your UMS seems plenty high enough for Cambridge!! Your academics in total seem very impressive!
    Just to repeat this: your grades are fine for both Oxford and Cambridge. Whether you get in will be determined by other factors (e.g. BMAT, interview). Apply to wherever you want to end up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgeG7)
    Do you think that I can make a good application for Oxford?
    Yes

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.