Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lindajohnson)
    What does g mean?
    gangster fam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aquatix96)
    It's useful for finance and has a little bit of maths in it, but not much. Also, I don't know why it isn't well respected as it is the hardest subject I have ever done. Generally you need 50% to pass the subject, much higher than average, and the mark schemes are inconsistent, so you cannot really rely on model answers as much.
    Everyone that takes it at my school says it's the hardest subject. Harder than maths, physics chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Follett)
    Everyone that takes it at my school says it's the hardest subject. Harder than maths, physics chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't know why it's so hard, I picked it because I thought it would be my easiest A level. I was very wrong

ReputationRep:
    What does g mean?
    I think it stands for 'guy' or something Linda

ReputationRep:
    When's your interview?
    3rd of December

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jchap9776)
    gangster fam
    You seem to be a bit 'street' for a university of the likes of Cambridge :/

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why it's so hard, I picked it because I thought it would be my easiest A level. I was very wrong
    Are you sure you are a Cambridge applicant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benpeters)
    You seem to be a bit 'street' for a university of the likes of Cambridge :/
    yeah mate, I wont get in

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure you are a Cambridge applicant?
    Wait, is this thread for Cambridge only? I'm not a Cambridge applicant. I wish, though

ReputationRep:
    Wait, is this thread for Cambridge only? I'm not a Cambridge applicant. I wish, though
    no its not lol

ReputationRep:
    No it's for all econ applicants!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jchap9776)
    no its not lol
    Oh, right haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr-96)
    Haha I disagree
    Watch this its absolutely hilarious and you might change your mind.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovmHfMKHuY8
    This video is amazing loooooooool

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough Andrew. At the end of the day it's down to the interview (once you get the interview), and from what 2 of my cousins told me (1 of which got in) they ask STEP questions to really test your maths out - this is clearly due to the economics course being quite dependent on mathematics at a high level (and obviously STEP is a lot harder than A2 Further Maths! Haha makes the A2 a walk in the park
    You realise that not every single college at Cambridge has the same emphasis on maths, right? Obviously it's necessary to be good at maths but not all colleges only care about your ability to do STEP questions. Like Downing asks for a maths test but others place more emphasis on essays or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    3rd of December
    Ooh which college have you applied to? My interview is the same day so I may see you around

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    Ooh which college have you applied to? My interview is the same day so I may see you around

Posted from TSR Mobile

Jesus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oreoenthusiast)
    You realise that not every single college at Cambridge has the same emphasis on maths, right? Obviously it's necessary to be good at maths but not all colleges only care about your ability to do STEP questions. Like Downing asks for a maths test but others place more emphasis on essays or whatever.
    And do you know that as a fact or as an assumption? Don't open your mouth if what you're about to say isn't meaningful and worthy of computer screen space

ReputationRep:
    And do you know that as a fact or as an assumption? Don't open your mouth if what you're about to say isn't meaningful and worthy of computer screen space
    Good thing I know this as a fact then. I know a few people who have applied to Cambridge for Economics (and got offers, thanks very much) who have specifically told me that their interview was not very mathematical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Follett)
    Not really, but the average of someone doing economics at Cambridge will be around 520

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :lolwut:. Where did you get this figure from?

Last time I checked the average was 634. http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...gs?s=economics (Look under Entry Standards)

ReputationRep:
    my maths based interview for econ is only 20mins long so they'd struggle fitting in much STEP

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.