The Student Room Group

The Uni Study Thread Mark IV

Scroll to see replies

Not happy at all. Student finance entitlement for next year has been reduced by £400 when my household income hasn't changed. Is there anything I can do about it??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Am I screwed if I properly begin revision now? In 3rd year atm for Biomedical Science and I've only kept up with the new spring modules, so behind on the modules from the last term (procrastination) :/ Will be lucky if my idiocy hasn't ruined my life
Original post by Psyc_Girl
Not happy at all. Student finance entitlement for next year has been reduced by £400 when my household income hasn't changed. Is there anything I can do about it??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you just submitted your application?

When I was on the main account screen and clicked on "view your entitlement summary", that number was £1000 less than the number if I went on "correspondence history" (at the top) and clicked to view the "online notification of entitlement letter".

I've waited a few days and the numbers do match up now. I'd suggest giving it a few days and if it's still not what you expect, give them a call.
Original post by rayquaza17
Have you just submitted your application?

When I was on the main account screen and clicked on "view your entitlement summary", that number was £1000 less than the number if I went on "correspondence history" (at the top) and clicked to view the "online notification of entitlement letter".

I've waited a few days and the numbers do match up now. I'd suggest giving it a few days and if it's still not what you expect, give them a call.

Yeah I submitted it last week.

Yeah it was on that entitlement summary thing! I can't get onto the correspondence history thing for some reason, or the payment schedule. For about a month now it just stays as a empty white box and I've tried on my laptop and phone :frown:.

Ohh okay that's good to hear, I'll just wait for the one I receive in the post because I can't check it online.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anybody know of any good resources or just advice on what constitutes an essay which is 60+ for exams? Do you think in first year they're more leniant in marking exam essays compared to assignments when you have your resources in front of you? This is in reference to Psychology but I'm sure other courses have essays marked similarly.
Original post by LeaX
Does anybody know of any good resources or just advice on what constitutes an essay which is 60+ for exams? Do you think in first year they're more leniant in marking exam essays compared to assignments when you have your resources in front of you? This is in reference to Psychology but I'm sure other courses have essays marked similarly.

I have no idea about Psychology but I believe they are more lenient with exam essays. You aren't able to cite other ideas and debate them or match them with other theories etc. There is still a fair expectation for them, especially in first year, for understanding of the topic. My lecturer encouraged us to "show off" by putting in as much relevant information in as we could. You need to be careful with that as it can lead to a sloppy essay but it's about demonstrating knowledge and understanding.
There is more of a leniency for first years in my experience... or rather, the higher up you go, the higher the standards.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your not going into final year are you? Because in your final year it will decrease by about that but because it doesn't cover the summer.
Original post by sliceofcake
I have no idea about Psychology but I believe they are more lenient with exam essays. You aren't able to cite other ideas and debate them or match them with other theories etc. There is still a fair expectation for them, especially in first year, for understanding of the topic. My lecturer encouraged us to "show off" by putting in as much relevant information in as we could. You need to be careful with that as it can lead to a sloppy essay but it's about demonstrating knowledge and understanding.
There is more of a leniency for first years in my experience... or rather, the higher up you go, the higher the standards.

Ah see even in my first year, again not Psychology, but we were still expected to cite others so to say Smith says this... but you didn't need a bibliography or anything and lecturers were more lenient, like I still got 2:1's even though I often used to guess who said what as I could never remember
Original post by jelly1000
Your not going into final year are you? Because in your final year it will decrease by about that but because it doesn't cover the summer.

Nope I'm not! I'll be going into my 2nd year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope I'm not! I'll be going into my 2nd year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thats odd
Original post by snailsareslimy

Spoiler

Original post by BeyondandAbove
What SAS said, basically! Take it slow, if you need to, think about what you want. Think about what you feel, and if he does like you, then that's cool. But pretty much what SAS said, yes.
Also look at you having fun :sexface:

Thank you both for the advice :h: I think I will back off and see what happens. He hasn't messaged me back so we'll see :tongue: Till then I've got my interview to prepare for :afraid:

SAS, well done on marks! and nothing wrong with a gap year :jumphug:
Been feeling kind of hopeless for the last couple of days. I feel especially low because it's valentines day and girl I like and I have stopped meeting because even after deciding we should just be friends, I saw her on a night out, ran up to her, put my shirt over her because she was cold and walked back to hers. I told her I missed her and she said it was mutual, we then cuddled, held hands and talked for an hour or two. She said that's not what friends should be doing. I keep going from not caring about her to really wanting her. Lost pretty much all hope, might just give up and stop speaking to her because it's messing me up, and sure she probably doesn't give a ****. I don't know what I have done to deserve this:frown:
Original post by snailsareslimy
Can't remember if I posted but I got 68 and 65 in my modules :smile: so proud of myself. They're not the best marks I've ever got, but I'm just proud I did pretty damn well considering what happened in December and I did it without any extensions or anything.

That being said I had a total break down this week (my tutor knows everything after I started having a panic attack before class and spurted it out while crying in the library :erm:) and I've got bloods taken at the doctors. I also didn't go to any class this week (tutors advice). Feeling a lot better after sleeping a lot and being home, but it's made me realise I've still got a long way to go. At least I know my results now and I know I can get a good 2:1. Not letting him ruin things for me.

Oh, and I'm delaying MA applications by a year. I don't think I'm mentally cut out for one tbh, I can't handle stress at all anymore. I'll take a gap year and then see, but I think a year out is a good idea.

Sounds like you have had a stressful time recently but glad your tutor is being supportive and congrats on some great marks :smile:

I think taking some time out before MA is a solid plan. I'm seeing people around me at uni seriously stress out making their applications alongside studying and it's definately too much for them. I'm taking a year or two out before MA too and feeling like it's defo the right decision for me as I'm not even sure what sort of MA I would want to do (or even if I'm suited to one!)
Original post by venuswaltz
Sounds like you have had a stressful time recently but glad your tutor is being supportive and congrats on some great marks :smile:

I think taking some time out before MA is a solid plan. I'm seeing people around me at uni seriously stress out making their applications alongside studying and it's definately too much for them. I'm taking a year or two out before MA too and feeling like it's defo the right decision for me as I'm not even sure what sort of MA I would want to do (or even if I'm suited to one!)

Yes deffo the right decison, remember unless you want to be an academic then most jobs don't require one and if your doing it for your own interest it needs to be something your 100% interested in
(edited 9 years ago)
Happy Monday! Good luck to everyone with this week's workload.
Had a horrible dream last night about exam results, seems I'm getting quite anxious! I hope they come through really soon, I'd like a good night of sleep, if that's okay.
Feeling a bit more determined today, not sure how effective it will be or how long it will last for, but here's hoping for a more productive week!
SLOWBRRRROOOO TOMORRRROOWWW :rave: SOOO excitedddd! :teehee:
Got 65 for an essay I did for the really harsh marker. So relieved. Still got another one to go though and I don't think that was as good.
Got my exam results back. While they're good exam marks for me, I'm also quite sad about them because it means it's going to be even harder to get a first in the end. I know it doesn't ~really~ matter, it's just I'm so annoyingly stuck between firsts and 2:1s. Conflicted feelings, probably going to mope about for the rest of the day.

Edit: Also, I don't know why people fight for exam feedback. This is the first time I've gotten any and I'm reading feedback and criticism for questions I don't remember answering. I just want to know how well I did, I don't need to know that I was vague about points I can't recall making!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MyName??!
SLOWBRRRROOOO TOMORRRROOWWW :rave: SOOO excitedddd! :teehee:

Still full :tongue: that buffet was goooooooood :coma:
Original post by Slowbro93
Still full :tongue: that buffet was goooooooood :coma:

Haha xD you didn't eat at all! I never leave that place unless I go up to my sixth/seventh plate! Pfft!

But I had so much fun todayyyy! :biggrin: even when we were running down to the train station. I hope you get into Leeds! x

Quick Reply

Latest