Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by galatasaray1905)
    What were your predicted IB points overall and for your HLs, if you do not mind me asking? Also when did you apply and take the LNAT? When did King's reply?

I got an offer from Bristol about a week ago, but still waiting on KCL :/
    I was predicted IB39 with HL6,6,6 I sat LNAT early October and applied October 15th.

With King's they replied within 2 weeks saying I did not meet the predicted HL6,6,7 criteria even though I pre explained before applying that the criteria was a bit much since only 2-3% of IB students worldwide actually get a 7 in my 3 subjects, and so no school could realistically predict anything but a 6. In addition I explained I am doing 7 IB subjects instead of 6 adding an extra 15% workload. They said they would look upon the application leniently. I was pretty pissed off with them, as I wasted one choice which I would otherwise have used on Durham.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, considering that I got an offer from Bristol, can I assume that my LNAT went well? Also, which one is harder to get in: KCL or Bristol?
    KCL harder but mainly for rediculous reasons especially for IB candidates

ReputationRep:
    Hi, could I ask for some advice regarding firming?

I'm stuck between firming UCL or Birmingham. I've got an unconditional offer from Birmingham (provided I firm it), and a conditional of A*AA for UCL. UCL is easily my favourite university, however the entry requirement is intimidating, whereas Birmingham would allow me more security if results don't got as planned. I'd either put Birmingham or Bristol as my insurance (both AAA) if I were to firm UCL, but that's still high haha. I'm really conflicted between playing it safe and picking Birmingham, or risking it and going for UCL!

Any advice would be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crocface)
    I was predicted IB39 with HL6,6,6 I sat LNAT early October and applied October 15th.

With King's they replied within 2 weeks saying I did not meet the predicted HL6,6,7 criteria even though I pre explained before applying that the criteria was a bit much since only 2-3% of IB students worldwide actually get a 7 in my 3 subjects, and so no school could realistically predict anything but a 6. In addition I explained I am doing 7 IB subjects instead of 6 adding an extra 15% workload. They said they would look upon the application leniently. I was pretty pissed off with them, as I wasted one choice which I would otherwise have used on Durham.
    ohh damn sorry :/ as an IB student I understand how challenging it must be for you. How come do you take 7 IB subjects? are you not full diploma?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jedwards)

I'm stuck between firming UCL or Birmingham. I've got an unconditional offer from Birmingham (provided I firm it), and a conditional of A*AA for UCL. UCL is easily my favourite university, however the entry requirement is intimidating, whereas Birmingham would allow me more security if results don't got as planned. I'd either put Birmingham or Bristol as my insurance (both AAA) if I were to firm UCL, but that's still high haha. I'm really conflicted between playing it safe and picking Birmingham, or risking it and going for UCL!

I know your situation. I think you have to ask yourself how realistic is it for you to get A*AA. If you do stand a chance for A*AA, I think you can risk it because in the end, you can go to your favourite university knowing you have earned it. And also do think the possibility of you firming Birmingham and dropping UCL but in the end getting the A*AA you wanted.

And what is the possibility of you getting AAA instead of A*AA ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asgunsur)
    I know your situation. I think you have to ask yourself how realistic is it for you to get A*AA. If you do stand a chance for A*AA, I think you can risk it because in the end, you can go to your favourite university knowing you have earned it. And also do think the possibility of you firming Birmingham and dropping UCL but in the end getting the A*AA you wanted.

And what is the possibility of you getting AAA instead of A*AA ?
    Thanks for responding!

I'm sure as hell going to give it everything I've got, I know I'll try my best. I'm a bit worried about getting an A in English (although Bristol will accept A*AB as an alternative) just because there was some very weird results at my school last year. I still got a B at AS, and I'm retaking the exam and CW, but it's a scary prospect nonetheless.

I'm going to all the applicant days again just to weigh up all the pros and cons, but it's quite a tough decision haha.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for responding!

I'm sure as hell going to give it everything I've got, I know I'll try my best. I'm a bit worried about getting an A in English (although Bristol will accept A*AB as an alternative) just because there was some very weird results at my school last year. I still got a B at AS, and I'm retaking the exam and CW, but it's a scary prospect nonetheless.

I'm going to all the applicant days again just to weigh up all the pros and cons, but it's quite a tough decision haha.
    Hey may I ask when did you apply and how long did it take for UCL to send you an offer. Congrats and good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobkata)
    Hey may I ask when did you apply and how long did it take for UCL to send you an offer. Congrats and good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi!

I applied on the 17th November (I had taken my LNAT in like October) and the offer came through on 22nd December. Mine was surprisingly quick to come through, as I've spoken to several people who are still waiting.

Best of luck, hopefully you'll hear soon!

ReputationRep:

Do not fall for the Birmingham unconditional trick. The only reason some Unis give unconditional is because they know there will be places left in clearing. Last year I did a lot of realtime research during clearing for all unis offering law courses that I might be interested in. Birmingham was in clearing both from the beginning of IB results day and A level results day. That tells me you will highly likely get it in clearing anyway, especially as they have already given you an offer. Therefore don´t waste your chance of a hard earned place at UCL or Bristol which would never be in clearing.

ReputationRep:
    ohh damn sorry :/ as an IB student I understand how challenging it must be for you. How come do you take 7 IB subjects? are you not full diploma?
    Yes Im doing a full bilingual diploma plus an extra IB certificate in parallel worth up to an extra 7 points. A lot of Unis say that I can´t simply add it to max 45 for the diploma as would be unfair advantage but quite a few Unis including Kings said they would look upon it as a favourable edge to the application.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, my plan is to insure Exeter (AAB) but am undecided on the best uni to firm out of KCL, Nottingham and Wariwck?
    Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sjcalvert98)
    Hi guys, my plan is to insure Exeter (AAB) but am undecided on the best uni to firm out of KCL, Nottingham and Wariwck?
    Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions
    I would say depends it you are city person or campus life both are respected, I would choose:

1. KCL >> London. Better for city connections/future jobs/life
    2. Notingham >> Very respected but is same offer as KCL a bit too provincial
    3. Warrick. >> Lower requirements but was in clearing last year so not worth choosing

ReputationRep:
    Do not fall for the Birmingham unconditional trick. The only reason some Unis give unconditional is because they know there will be places left in clearing. Last year I did a lot of realtime research during clearing for all unis offering law courses that I might be interested in. Birmingham was in clearing both from the beginning of IB results day and A level results day. That tells me you will highly likely get it in clearing anyway, especially as they have already given you an offer. Therefore don´t waste your chance of a hard earned place at UCL or Bristol which would never be in clearing.
    Oh wow, thank you very much! I really appreciate that information. I'm definitely not going to take it just because of an unconditional, I'm going to look anyway on an open day just to see for sure before ruling it out, but I love UCL and Bristol haha.

Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    I would say depends it you are city person or campus life both are respected, I would choose:

1. KCL >> London. Better for city connections/future jobs/life
    2. Notingham >> Very respected but is same offer as KCL a bit too provincial
    3. Warrick. >> Lower requirements but was in clearing last year so not worth choosing
    It is really between KCL and Nottingham, providing I get the offers haha, there is a possibility that Nottingham will offer me AAA as I did the summer school. Regardless my aim is to get A*A*A, I like the look of both unis, probably KCL tips it but the cost element as well as the potential lower Nottingham offer may sway me...

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer from UCL today! Law with French Law. IB 41 points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lalliish)
    I got an offer from UCL today! Law with French Law. IB 41 points.
    Congrats on your offer When did you send off your application? I hope I will hear from them soon

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For those who have been offered places for law at Oxford-> what were your gcses (and a massive congrats!!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Does anyone know how or in what order (if any) UCL or KCL are distributing their offers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
    Does anyone know how or in what order (if any) UCL or KCL are distributing their offers?
    UCL's given most of its offers out, and has had its interviews for those doing Law with a foreign legal system on the 20th. KCL hasn't really gotten back to anyone who hasn't applied for a scholarship, or who hasn't applied with achieved A-Level/IB grades.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    UCL's give most of its offers out, and has its interviews for those doing Law with a foreign legal system on the 20th. KCL hasn't really gotten back to anyone who hasn't applied for a scholarship, or who hasn't applied with achieved A-Level/IB grades.
    Oh I see...! That's very helpful, thank you!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2016
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.