St George's
    5.58%
    Other
    25.72%
    I dont know :')
    4.13%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    doing 4 A2s is the most common reason why people miss overs because of the whole AABB situation, in my opinion taking on an extra A-level to get A*AAB is pointless when you can take 3 and ace them to get A*A*A etc., which is much stronger in terms of grades.

About the whole schools prefering 4A2s, that is a load of rubbish, just because people apply there with 4A2s doesnt mean that is what the school want or prefer. if it says AAA at a2 on the admissions policy, that is all they want and unless it is a criteria for selection at interview then AAA is more than enough and the extra alevel is a waste of your time which you could be focussing on the others.

I honestly think that you can show strong grades and great academic achievement without doing 4A2 levels, I know a girl with A*A*A* at A2 now at cambridge for med, and a girl who got AAAA at A2 now at manchester for med, both reccomend 3 A-levels to relieve stress, and be able to focus on the end goal.
    I would agree that 3 a levels all at A*or 2A*s A etc is better than 4 at AAAB for example, unis tend not to think any higher of students who've taken four alevels especially when their grades are lower than someone who has taken 3. I recommend focusing on 3 and acing them rather than struggling with four
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by emma.sx)
    I would agree that 3 a levels all at A*or 2A*s A etc is better than 4 at AAAB for example, unis tend not to think any higher of students who've taken four alevels especially when their grades are lower than someone who has taken 3. I recommend focusing on 3 and acing them rather than struggling with four
    I think it is imperative to remember that providing you meet the offer the universities dont care whether you got AAA or A*A*A* or A*AAB or AAAB, you just need to meet the offer they have given you to get a place. once at med school the applicant who got A*A*A* and the applicant who got AAA are both on a level playing field.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is imperative to remember that providing you meet the offer the universities dont care whether you got AAA or A*A*A* or A*AAB or AAAB, you just need to meet the offer they have given you to get a place. once at med school the applicant who got A*A*A* and the applicant who got AAA are both on a level playing field.
    Hi

So if most people are doing 3 As at A2.
    What about AS levels. My sister who did her A levels this year studied 4 in the first year. Got an AS in one of the exams, then carried on with the other 3.
    So she gained 1 AS and 3 A2.

Biology, Chemistry and Geography are linear, so I cannot do an AS in those subjects. The only was I could get an AS is by doing it in Maths and then dropping it.
    The alternative (if I dont want to do 4 A levels) is
    drop Geography at end of first year and carry forward Maths Biology Chemistry.

College policy is allow students to do 3 or 4 A levels, but normally do not enter AS exam (unless subject is modular)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikita Verma)
    Does anybody know if there are threads for Leicester and Sheffield medical school for 2017 entry on TSR?
    There are, indeed!

Leicester: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3541101

Sheffield: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...rimary_content

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spock2000)
    Hi

What about AS levels. My sister who did her A levels this year studied 4 in the first year. Got an AS in one of the exams, then carried on with the other 3.

Biology, Chemistry and Geography are linear, so I cannot do an AS in those subjects. The only was I could get an AS is by doing it in Maths and then dropping it.

College policy is allow students to do 3 or 4 A levels, but normally do not enter AS exam (unless subject is modular)
    Can you not request to just be put in for the AS?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hi

It depends on how you feel really, if you feel you can handle 4 then I would give it a go, but the advice and warning generally is that A2 is significantly harder than AS and that its better to do well and get your offer with just 3A2 levels as the fourth is redundant in terms of applications to medicine. Alevels are your building block to medicine, once in medical school Alevels (how many, what grades etc.) dont matter, hence if your dream is 100% med school then your better aiming for AAA in 3 subjects.

as for the AS, I did the exact same Alevels as you, I dropped maths, and if maths is the only one you can get an AS in and you definetly dont want to do 4 then that is in my opinion the most logical step. However if you are better at geography than maths (let your AS exams tell you that) then its up to you what you drop, dont just drop maths because it can get you an AS when it was your best subject etc.

Hope this helps.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Sulee)
    Yeah fair enough, but in my opinion A*A*AA > A*A*A*, so if youre capable of coping, its worth the risk
    I actually think A*A*AA < A*A*A*
    Just like how 10A*'s at GCSE for uni's is better than 6A*'s 7A's. Literally it doesn't matter though, to each their own.

ReputationRep:
    Just got an email from Bristol saying they begun assessing my application and are waiting for UKCAT results... 🙈
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by yukicookie)
    Just got an email from Bristol saying they begun assessing my application and are waiting for UKCAT results... 🙈
    gahhh *heart palpitations*

ReputationRep:
    2A*s (one was in short course RS, the other was english lit) 6As and 4Bs (inc. core and additional science - further was an A) at GCSE. What are my chances?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    hmmm, I dont have an email..should I be worried?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Depends which uni.Like for Bristol? It's one of the only uni's that stats aren't a great indicator if you'll be invited to interview because 70% of that decision depends on your P.Statement.
    (Original post by MiracleLeaf)
    2A*s (one was in short course RS, the other was english lit) 6As and 4Bs (inc. core and additional science - further was an A) at GCSE. What are my chances?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CutieTootsie)
    gahhh *heart palpitations*
    Just checking my UCAS track makes my heart beat like 10 times faster 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CutieTootsie)
    hmmm, I dont have an email..should I be worried?
    Don't worry, they're probably sending them out in batches. 😉
    So scary though 😅. At least I guess it means I have a chance of an interview right? Haha ha ha 😅
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    So scary though 😅. At least I guess it means I have a chance of an interview right? Haha ha ha 😅
    Yup, safe to say!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how you feel really, if you feel you can handle 4 then I would give it a go, but the advice and warning generally is that A2 is significantly harder than AS and that its better to do well and get your offer with just 3A2 levels as the fourth is redundant in terms of applications to medicine. Alevels are your building block to medicine, once in medical school Alevels (how many, what grades etc.) dont matter, hence if your dream is 100% med school then your better aiming for AAA in 3 subjects.

as for the AS, I did the exact same Alevels as you, I dropped maths, and if maths is the only one you can get an AS in and you definetly dont want to do 4 then that is in my opinion the most logical step. However if you are better at geography than maths (let your AS exams tell you that) then its up to you what you drop, dont just drop maths because it can get you an AS when it was your best subject etc.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gogregg)
    Can you not request to just be put in for the AS?
    Things is college will have a general policy. If they don't normally enter people for AS then ???

Also the teaching may not be geared towards being ready for AS at the end of year 12. ie the order that they cover topics. Might not have covered everything needed for AS at year 12 if they teach in different order
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Would you say your PS was really strong? What are your stats?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Things is college will have a general policy. If they don't normally enter people for AS then ???

Also the teaching may not be geared towards being ready for AS at the end of year 12. ie the order that they cover topics. Might not have covered everything needed for AS at year 12 if they teach in different order
    That's true, but if you really are against it, then at least ask someone. It may not be normal policy, but that doesn't mean they don't do it? And if they don't allow you, offer to pay for it and study the rest of the AS content yourself to make sure you know it and have covered it, and then I'd really say see how it's going up until mocks, and if 4 is feeling a bit much, or you aren't doing as well as you would hope for, just drop Geography then.

In the end, though, it's up to you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2017
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.