Turn on thread page Beta

The Cricket Society IV watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Take a bow Mendis. Things looking bad for Australia - and made all the worse by O'Keeffe's injury!

ReputationRep:
    Well played SL. bit depressing though the standards of test cricket has fallen to overall - i suppose thats what happenes when likes of ponting, dravid srt, kallis,murali warne sehwag hayden mcgrath ambrose donald zaheer akthar wasim sanga bond are no longer around
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Awesome from Herath. What a performance from SL - taking victory from the jaws of defeat after that first dreadful day. Herath in particular was exceptional, especially that devastating spell where he got rid of*Smith and Marsh.

I actually thought Smith batted well, but Australia's top order was brittle and the batsmen crumpled.

Mendis will take headlines, of course, but fair play to O'Keefe. He battled hard with the hamstring to allow his side to field 11, and I hope he's OK. It was a valiant showing.

This can spark SL into life now and give them confidence going forward. It's just a shame so few native fans were in attendance to see it. It appeared the majority of fans there were Australians.

ReputationRep:
    Did I hear correctly that when O'keefe was batting, Australia went 150+ deliveries without scoring a run?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    Did I hear correctly that when O'keefe was batting, Australia went 150+ deliveries without scoring a run?
    Yeah don't know the stats but it sounds about right. He did his hammy while bowling so couldn't run, so for both batsmen it was either boundary or block. And given the match situation, it was block.

Funny thing is Neville did all that and got out playing a cut to the spinner.

ReputationRep:
    It's funny how some English, Australian, South African fans criticise Asian teams for their poor performances outside of Asia. Yet when teams like England, Australia, South Africa come to Asia, they struggle to win a match but they don't get as much criticism for their poor performances in Asia as Asian teams do for their performances outside of Asia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_K1NG)
    It's funny how some English, Australian, South African fans criticise Asian teams for their poor performances outside of Asia. Yet when teams like England, Australia, South Africa come to Asia, they struggle to win a match but they don't get as much criticism for their poor performances in Asia as Asian teams do for their performances outside of Asia.
    Well said.For me,South Africa is overrated.Despite having some great players,their performance is lacking.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The contrast between SL and Zimbabwe - after both teams endured a miserable opening day in their Tests against Australia and NZ respectively - couldn't be starker.

Fair play to Taylor and Watling for their brilliance at the crease, but you just wonder whether there's even any point in playing matches like this, because Zimbabwe have shot themselves in the foot from the off.*

ReputationRep:
    Incredible stats, mainly for me to see it was SL's second Test win over Australia considering their talent pool over the many years including Aravinda Da Silva, Ranatunga, Jayasuriya, Murali yet it was an excellent, gritty, effort that saw them home.

Caught brief moments of Somerset-Sussex - eye catching performance from a Jofra Archer, took five wickets and some runs in a losing effort, promising signs.

ReputationRep:
    good start from india, and bowling from shami and ashwin skittle Windies for sub 200. Ahswins 18th 5fer in 34 tests, incredible stat) Also got the correct team selection this time bringing in K Raul, future indian star, looking quality at the crease. I would like to see Rahane promoted up the order to get him into the swing of things.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Maxwell's ODI career over? He's been dropped for Australia’s one-day series against Sri Lanka starting next month.

Worrying stats for him - only scored 59 runs in his last seven ODI innings.

ReputationRep:
    Nah Maxi will be back. He's too good not to be.

Mark Wood back bowling for Durham in a 50 over match. Only a few overs into his first spell but it's been consistently 90mph stuff so far. Would be great to think Anderson, Broad, Woakes, Wood and Finn can take us forward in test cricket for the next couple of years. Wood was on commentary earlier and saying how desperate he was to play red ball cricket, I do worry his ankle will limit him to white ball cricket though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Louis.)
    Nah Maxi will be back. He's too good not to be.

Mark Wood back bowling for Durham in a 50 over match. Only a few overs into his first spell but it's been consistently 90mph stuff so far. Would be great to think Anderson, Broad, Woakes, Wood and Finn can take us forward in test cricket for the next couple of years. Wood was on commentary earlier and saying how desperate he was to play red ball cricket, I do worry his ankle will limit him to white ball cricket though.
    Wood needs to leave Durham, in truth. He'd be better off playing his way into contention by heading down to somewhere like the Oval and bowling on a flat wicket week in, week out.

I think he and Willey will be seen - wrongly - as white-ball players.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Wood needs to leave Durham, in truth. He'd be better off playing his way into contention by heading down to somewhere like the Oval and bowling on a flat wicket week in, week out.

I think he and Willey will be seen - wrongly - as white-ball players.
    Why's that? Durham have produced some very good English bowlers. And it's sad that Durham are struggling to keep hold of their players, they've been a huge asset to English cricket.

ReputationRep:
    Well played KL Rahul, another hundred to add to his one in Sydney. i would hope selectors stop seeing his him a 'back up' and recognise youth is not a detriment in his case. he is proven talent, but now proving he has temperament too.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Why's that? Durham have produced some very good English bowlers. And it's sad that Durham are struggling to keep hold of their players, they've been a huge asset to English cricket.
    Simply because Durham are a club dying on its feet. Collingwood may have penned a new deal, but the future is bleak for them. They're haemorrhaging money left, right and centre. Wood's a local lad so naturally has loyalty to the club, but there's a very real prospect that Durham will cease to be an entity within the next five years.

ReputationRep:
    Simply because Durham are a club dying on its feet. Collingwood may have penned a new deal, but the future is bleak for them. They're haemorrhaging money left, right and centre. Wood's a local lad so naturally has loyalty to the club, but there's a very real prospect that Durham will cease to be an entity within the next five years.
    Depends on whether Borthwick and Jennings sign a new deal and whether Wood keeps his central contract. As of yet there are no cricketing reasons to move. Durham have been very strong across all formats and have a record of producing players themselves.

If he is forced to move why somewhere like Surrey though? Why would a flat wicket be beneficial? The Northern/Midlands counties have a better record of developing quick bowlers.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Depends on whether Borthwick and Jennings sign a new deal and whether Wood keeps his central contract. As of yet there are no cricketing reasons to move. Durham have been very strong across all formats and have a record of producing players themselves.

If he is forced to move why somewhere like Surrey though? Why would a flat wicket be beneficial? The Northern/Midlands counties have a better record of developing quick bowlers.
    I just threw Surrey out there because it's renowned for selectors heading there to watch a match. Not surprising, either, given Whitaker et al are based in the capital and it represents an easy and nice day out for them (I expect the lunch is fantastic).

For what it's worth, I completely agree with you. Clubs like Durham - and even the likes of Northants - have given great things to the national side. It's time the ECB protected them.

Of course, Durham were admitted into the major county championship scene under the pretence they developed Chester-le-Street and made it Test suitable. They did that, but the crowds haven't followed. Even back in the Ashes, Durham was one of the poorest attended Tests. It just doesn't provide a great backdrop for international cricket, so it's only natural for the ECB to focus on taking English Tests to Lord's, The Oval and then three of Edgbaston, Old Trafford, Headingley and Trent Bridge every summer.

It really is a worrying time for the counties - but also for cricket's ability to connect with the public. The use of outgrounds is becoming less and less, and these wickets are crucial at developing young players's skills. Would Swann and Panesar have been such a success at Northants without the use of Wantage Road, and even the likes of Milton Keynes and other outgrounds?

ReputationRep:
    I am disappointed in the first day's play for England at Edgbaston. To be all out for 297, cannot see them winning from here.

ReputationRep:
    It really is a worrying time for the counties - but also for cricket's ability to connect with the public. The use of outgrounds is becoming less and less, and these wickets are crucial at developing young players's skills. Would Swann and Panesar have been such a success at Northants without the use of Wantage Road, and even the likes of Milton Keynes and other outgrounds?
    Agree totally about out-grounds- no more Southgate or Whitgift School which were both a joy to go to.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.