Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesmallman)
    Guys question!! For proton NMR, can the H in the aldehyde group be split?? Cos I've heard from certain sources that it always remains as a singlet, but the last question on the June 2014 paper seems to suggest otherwise??

Thank you!
    Sorry had to ask this again, but would really appreciate an answer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsConnor_)
    I appreciate that, sorry, it's only because the exam's tomorrow I'm stressing myself out over your more complex method sry
    what wven is this about?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    An aldehyde H can be split

Eg in ethanal CH3CHO, the aldehyde H would be a quartet due to the adjacent CH3 group

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lai812matthew)
    i hope they will at least give a formula before asking us questions about it because i cannot remember !
    Yeah, hopefully they won't be that mean! In a few past papers they actually name the monomers and you just have to draw the polymer it form

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure it can be split. So if the aldehyde group was attached to a ch2 group then it would be a triplet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chem1stry101)
    THANKS A LOT!!! I was lit panicking so much

ReputationRep:
    When asked to identify what feature causes stereoisomerism, is it just any double bound in the molecule?

ReputationRep:

Eg in ethanal CH3CHO, the aldehyde H would be a quartet due to the adjacent CH3 group
    in the data sheet, the ones with * would not be splitting in the diagram shown in exam. http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/74947-datasheet.pdf , and aldehyde is not one of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fannehh)
    When asked to identify what feature causes stereoisomerism, is it just any double bound in the molecule?
    and chiral carbon

ReputationRep:
    june 2015 markscheme and paper unit 4
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf F324_MS_June15.pdf (608.2 KB, 58 views)
  2. File Type: pdf F324-01 QP Jun15.pdf (531.5 KB, 51 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lai812matthew)
    and chiral carbon
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fannehh)
    Non rotation around a c=c bond as well as different substituent groups
    And optical isomerism where a carbon has 4 different substituent groups so it is chiral so forms a non superimposable mirror image

ReputationRep:
    If you have symmetry and one environment is mirrored elsewhere in the molecule, just look at one side for the splitting pattern.

Eg if you had CH3-CH2-O-CH2-CH3 it is symmetrical. So only 2 H environments. The CH3 peak would be a triplet due to the neighbouring CH2, and the CH2 would be a quartet due the neighbouring CH3
    But just to check if you had CH3CH2CH2CH3 the CH3 would be split into a triplet but the CH2 would not be split as its symmetrical?

ReputationRep:
    Really wish the exam was in the morning, gonna be stressing over it until 13:45

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoda123)
    I agree especially as I have two exams the next day and one on Thursday so I'm not really going to be able to revise much for the ones on wednesday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoda123)
    same, just cba!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jehaan)
    But just to check if you had CH3CH2CH2CH3 the CH3 would be split into a triplet but the CH2 would not be split as its symmetrical?
    ch2 would split into quartet right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do u use pencil for displayed formula, skeletal, etc and do you have to use pencil

ReputationRep:
    what do I write for bonding and structure for benzene??

good luck guys btw

ReputationRep:
    Can carboxylic acids be reduced by NABH4 aswell?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.