Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    I got called a **** at least six times on my birthday, there is no reason for the queen to be treated with more respect.
    That is regrettable, and I'm sorry about that. However, republicans are taking this way too far. People need to realise that the Monarchy will not be abolished in the near future. Debate, yes, but republicans seem to hurl personal insults at the Royal Family for no justifiable reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whiggy)
    That is regrettable, and I'm sorry about that. However, republicans are taking this way too far. People need to realise that the Monarchy will not be abolished in the near future. Debate, yes, but republicans seem to hurl personal insults at the Royal Family for no justifiable reason.
    Oh, I agree, the royals ought not be personally insulted, but that is because of their status as people, not as royals. There is no reason to afford any respect whatsoever to the royal family.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    UK to take child refugees

http://news.sky.com/story/1682766/uk-to-take-thousands-of-refugee-chidren
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I got called a **** at least six times on my birthday, there is no reason for the queen to be treated with more respect.
    well, you are a ****

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I agree, the royals ought not be personally insulted, but that is because of their status as people, not as royals. There is no reason to afford any respect whatsoever to the royal family.
    I agree with that also. It is not because of their status at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Great lets taking even more " Migrants " they start young this " migrants " and before you know it they will be gracing us with the wonderful thing called " muliculturism

http://news.sky.com/story/1682766/uk...fugee-children
    I'm concerned that things won't work out in the long term, although we have a responsibility to help them in their hour of need.

ReputationRep:
    I will be marking the birthday of tje Queen by attending the lighting of a beacon this evenibg. Republicans are free to miss this event and be elsewhere.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm concerned that things won't work out in the long term, although we have a responsibility to help them in their hour of need.
    Why do we have a responsibility?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Moral and ethical responsibility at the very least... how would you feel if you were in a war-torn country, knowing that every breath you take could be your last?

ReputationRep:
    I'm also not advocating that we should allow crazy numbers in, just those identified to be at the most risk.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Moral and ethical responsibility at the very least... how would you feel if you were in a war-torn country, knowing that every breath you take could be your last?
    So on petty and subjective grounds? And how do you feel in a non war torn country knowing any breath could be your last?

ReputationRep:
    I suggest people argue about this tomorrow. It is Her Majesty's birthday today and we should be paying respect to her. Whilst I agree that the Royal Family has taken some liberties, I'm sure that many agree that the Queen can't be held personally responsible for something that is beyond her control.
    I don't agree with this. Does the Queen celebrate my birthday? I see no reason why we should pay respect to her as opposed to Joe Bloggs.

But yes, by all accounts a nice person, so pointless insults are OTT.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So on compassionate grounds? And how do you feel in a non war torn country knowing any breath could be your last?
    Fixed that for you.

That's entirely different. I'm not constantly expecting to be beheaded, unlike some people on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    I don't agree with this. Does the Queen celebrate my birthday? I see no reason why we should pay respect to her as opposed to Joe Bloggs.

But yes, by all accounts a nice person, so pointless insults are OTT.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe I phrased that in the wrong way... I just mean that personal insults and blame is uncalled for, as she doesn't deserve it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Great lets taking even more " Migrants " they start young this " migrants " and before you know it they will be gracing us with the wonderful thing called " muliculturism

http://news.sky.com/story/1682766/uk...fugee-children
    Multiculturalism brought us ska, blues, rock and roll. Multiculturalism brought us the tikka masala. Multiculturalism is a good thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Fixed that for you.

That's entirely different. I'm not constantly expecting to be beheaded, unlike some people on here.
    Is it different if you ignore the radical media?

Again, compassionate grounds are not a basis,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    Multiculturalism brought us ska, blues, rock and roll. Multiculturalism brought us the tikka masala. Multiculturalism is a good thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I second this. Although I'm not really into those genres of music...

ReputationRep:
    Is it different if you ignore the radical media?

Again, compassionate grounds are not a basis,
    Compassionate grounds should be a basis; treat people how you would like to be treated.

ReputationRep:
    I second this. Although I'm not really into those genres of music...
    Multiculturalism brought us every genre except western classical.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It's still not a reason for us to accept an extra 3,000 on top on of the already ridiculous number of 20,000

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.