University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    Anyone know when we find out about the Cambridge bursary?

Also, any Homerton maths people know what the pre-term course is about? I've been told that as a CompSci w. Maths I don't need to go on either course, but I'm a bit worried that I'll turn up on the 1st and everyone else will be experts in vector calculus or something.
    Homerton told me we find out on the 2nd or 3rd week the college tells us.
    Yeh I have no clue what the course is for, I am going anyway as it is probably good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Also, any Homerton maths people know what the pre-term course is about? I've been told that as a CompSci w. Maths I don't need to go on either course, but I'm a bit worried that I'll turn up on the 1st and everyone else will be experts in vector calculus or something.
    Have you read this? (P.2. The second paragraph on "Early arrival....."

http://www.homerton.cam.ac.uk/sites/...ooklet2016.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Have you read this? (P.2. The second paragraph on "Early arrival....."

http://www.homerton.cam.ac.uk/sites/...ooklet2016.pdf
    Yeah, I wasn't sure if I needed to go on the CompSci one (which is for NatSci maths which I won't be doing) or that Maths one, so I emailed the admissions tutor. To my surprise, she said neither (after asking the DoSes). So I'm assuming the NatSci maths one is irrelevant because I'm not doing that paper, and the Maths one covers one of the maths papers I won't be doing (e.g. it's to get everyone up to scratch on mechanics). But it seems a little odd, so I thought I'd double check, just in case the DoSes got their wires crossed and each assumed I was doing the other course or something.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I wasn't sure if I needed to go on the CompSci one (which is for NatSci maths which I won't be doing) or that Maths one, so I emailed the admissions tutor. To my surprise, she said neither (after asking the DoSes). So I'm assuming the NatSci maths one is irrelevant because I'm not doing that paper, and the Maths one covers one of the maths papers I won't be doing (e.g. it's to get everyone up to scratch on mechanics). But it seems a little odd, so I thought I'd double check, just in case the DoSes got their wires crossed and each assumed I was doing the other course or something.
    Right..... Interesting, isn't it?
    If you're a mathematician, you have pre-sessions.
    If you're a compsci, you have pre-term maths sessions.
    But if you're a compsci with maths, no need to go either.
    How does it work??
    Is it because you're something in between?????

Let me know what they say, please. I'm really intrigued.......

ReputationRep:
    IIRC, all information from the bursary is taken directly from your Student Finance Application, so you just had to sit tight and wait. I think you hear around the 3rd week of term. If you haven't heard by then, ask your college's tuition office! *

(Original post by EnglishMuon)
    I have some spare dorset naga plants if ur up for that. they might cause skin burns though if handled too long
    That's my fave one. Hmm in chicken curry

Nah I touched one once and rubbed my eyes straight after, nothing happened

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone give me some advice on whether to take Maths A or Maths B with phys natsci?

Is it actually useful to take Maths B, i.e. in year 2/3 will you have already learned maths content for physics and chemistry etc?

I got 100 UMS in both FP2 and FP3 so was considering taking Maths B but my DoS said she highly advises against it. I would only consider taking Maths B if it was actually useful to the course. On the website, it says for those who find maths rewarding, does that mean it will go off on a tangent unrelated to maths for natsci's, or will it be helpful further down the line?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    That's my fave one. Hmm in chicken curry

Nah I touched one once and rubbed my eyes straight after, nothing happened
    really? wow thats either really lucky or ur just immune to capsaicin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RThornton)
    Can anyone give me some advice on whether to take Maths A or Maths B with phys natsci?

Is it actually useful to take Maths B, i.e. in year 2/3 will you have already learned maths content for physics and chemistry etc?

I got 100 UMS in both FP2 and FP3 so was considering taking Maths B but my DoS said she highly advises against it. I would only consider taking Maths B if it was actually useful to the course. On the website, it says for those who find maths rewarding, does that mean it will go off on a tangent unrelated to maths for natsci's, or will it be helpful further down the line?

Thanks
    I'd say it helps further down the line, especially when you do vector calculus and linear algebra in second year.

If you like maths then do it. My DoS wanted everyone to start to do it and swap to Maths A if they didn't like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RThornton)

Thanks
    You can ask current students on the same course here, too.

https://www.applytocambridge.com/ask-a-question

But in general, I think you'd be better off listening to what your DOS advises. They know what they're talking about and that's why they're in a position of DOS.

ReputationRep:
    Were doing mechanics.
    Homerton, can ddo 1 mate. Gona cancel and go on the 1st instead.

really? wow thats either really lucky or ur just immune to capsaicin
    -- I'm making things up --

I once got vaporub in my eye though, it was torture

ReputationRep:
    -- I'm making things up --

I once got vaporub in my eye though, it was torture
    aww that doesn't sound too good. I went to the dorset chilli festival last month and the medical tent there was filled with people with cold packs on their eyes

aww that doesn't sound too good. I went to the dorset chilli festival last month and the medical tent there was filled with people with cold packs on their eyes
    :rofl:

I need to go to that festival someday!

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

I need to go to that festival someday!
    yea you should, its great! +free samples all day you cant go wrong

ReputationRep:
    My college have assigned me an extended-lease room when I asked for term-time, and I have almost no chance of using it out of term... I emailed them asking to downgrade and they essentially said I have no choice but to accept it and the much higher rent. Am I right in thinking this is a bit out of order?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)
    My college have assigned me an extended-lease room when I asked for term-time, and I have almost no chance of using it out of term... I emailed them asking to downgrade and they essentially said I have no choice but to accept it and the much higher rent. Am I right in thinking this is a bit out of order?
    Sounds a bit out of order to me. I presume Corpus differentiates between the two but it seems very odd for them to give you an extended contract (and refuse to let you downgrade) if you didn't ask for one.

(Original post by Krollo)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That is out of order, talk to them about it

Lul

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ource=facebook

ReputationRep:
    A spokesman for Google said: "We thought you were pulling the udder one when we herd the moos, but it's clear that our automatic face-blurring technology has been a little overzealous.

God, I love Google.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.