Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CreativeBass)
    Aren't chlorophyll a and b both primary pigments.

And xanthrophylls and caratenoids are accessory pigments.
    Yes tyou are right both are primary ONLY Caretenoid is accessory

ReputationRep:
    Ye thats correct.
    Although i think its the recipricol of the time taken (1/t) to rise which is more or less equivalent to the rate of photosynthesis.
    :confused: how many tests for photosynthesis and respiration do we need to know.
    i just thought it was respirometer and photosythometer .......thats it give up.

ReputationRep:

This is correct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MG.GULED)
    :confused: how many tests for photosynthesis and respiration do we need to know.
    What book are you using.

I dont know if we need to know it but its on page 71 of the OCR biology (Heineman) book.

ReputationRep:

chlorophyll a(remember there are two types - p680 and p700) is the only one found in the primary reaction centre.

accesory pigments are the carotenoids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameliarainbow1)
    This is correct
    Thanks for confirming =]

ReputationRep:
    IN THE REACTION CENTRE ONLY CHLOLPHYLL A is present <-- Sorry for the caps.

ReputationRep:

no i thought only chlorophyll a was a primary pigment, and its found in the reaction centres of the photosystems.

Also for experimental evidence of chemiosmosis, is this correct?

-Chloroplasts extracted from plant
    - they are lysed and thylakoids removed
    - thylakoids put in a solution with a pH of 4, so that both the intra and extracellular spaces have a pH of 4.
    - then some are put in a pH of 8 and some left in a pH of 4.

- the ones in pH 8 will make ATP which shows a concentration gradient is needed????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MG.GULED)
    it is my friend don't panic

ReputationRep:
    How many different ideas need to be known for the evidence for chemiosmotic theory?

ReputationRep:
    Is everyone confident about the exam tomorrow? And for those who do past papers, what do you usually average, in terms of percentage?

Also, more questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aiden1234)
    no i thought only chlorophyll a was a primary pigment, and its found in the reaction centres of the photosystems.

- thylakoids put in a solution with a pH of 4, so that both the intra and extracellular spaces have a pH of 4.

- the ones in pH 8 will make ATP which shows a concentration gradient is needed????

Yes the evidence is correct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    chlorophyll a(remember there are two types - p680 and p700) is the only one found in the primary reaction centre.

accesory pigments are the carotenoids.
    Oh okay thanks

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Remarqable M]QUOTE]

Do you have a full set of answers for Homeostasis questions u posted up? Answers are incomplete for homeostasis

ReputationRep:

The one in ph 4 will make ATP because the protons in the soultion can diffuse across the outer membrane, into the intermembrane space of mitochondria. This creates an electrochemical gradient. The Protons can then diffuse down this gradient, through ATPase, into the Matrix. If ADP + Pi is present, ATP forms.

ReputationRep:

all you need to know is that ATP IS made by proton GRADIENT, say if it was inbuffer ph4, we know stroma is ph4 now, then that sample is placed in ph8 solution a conc. gradient is made hence ATP produced,
    if it was placed in ph4 solution NO ATP MADE, you also need to know three statements on why CHEMEOSMOSIS IS LIKELY.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=ameliarainbow1]
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    QUOTE]

Do you have a full set of answers for Homeostasis questions u posted up? Answers are incomplete for homeostasis
    must've have skipped the answer for those questions while i was doing it, but try to do the questions in the book

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summerdays)
    The one in ph 4 will make ATP because the protons in the soultion can diffuse across the outer membrane, into the intermembrane space of mitochondria. This creates an eltrochemical gradient. The Protons can then diffuse down this gradient, through ATPase, into the Matrix. If ADP + Pi is present, ATP forms.
    Is it not the one in pH8 because that causes a proton gradient to be built.

ReputationRep:
    Too many controversional answers in this thread, im confused now lol

ReputationRep:
    Too many controversional answers in this thread, im confused now lol
    Dont, its pretty staright forward:
    thylakoids diseccted, given out content ( Chloroplast)
    => Chloroplast placed in a PH4 buffer
    => After sometime once things reach equilibrium
    => Some chloroplast placed in a PH8 solution, what they notice is that proton gradient is made Since we know PH4 has more H+ ions and ph8 has less H+ ions, following laws of diffusion they go out.
    => In other case such that when PH4 is placed in a PH4 solution, there wouldn't be any need for things to reach equilibrium since its the same PH4 that is to say h+ concentration.
    Hope i made it clear.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 7, 2016

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.