Turn on thread page Beta

Singapore Kopitiam watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crystalline)
    Hello people!
    How is the structure of your teacher's reference like?
    My teacher asked me to do a draft for him to vet.Seriously,I am really clueless as to how the presentation of the information should be like.Hope you guys can give me some advice!

On a sidenote,I am applying for Medicine!(2010entry)
    Where are you applying? Giving NUS a shot I presume? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    Oh nope,I dont intend to study medicine locally!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chronicles)
    heya. Your teacher should really be doing this...most students don't even get to view their references. Try persuading another teacher whom you like maybe? Unless there are teachers lurking around here, it would be difficult to say what the reference should have, the tone of it etc. My teacher has been going on and on about how they have to "strike the right tone" and admissions officers being clever enought o pick up on subtle things.

On the bright side, I suppose then you can paint yourself a beautiful picture! Try posting in the more general forums. Teachers might help you there.
    Alright.Based on what my teacher has told me,he doesnt has much experience with UCAS,teacher reference for UK education,etc.Thus,Im actually really worried about it. Are you intending to study in the UK too?

(Original post by gi.)
    if your teacher is not a new jc teacher or something, as long as UCAS is not totally foreign to the teacher, he/she should be able to write it, since the teacher probably had throngs of students before.

you can probably give your teacher the gist of what you would like included, things to emphasize on in relation to your interest in pursuing medicine and such.

one good thing to come out from this is, you probably can save A LOT of characters in your PS, cause you can ask your teacher to include some of the points, thus saving your PS for other things you need to write. no need for repeated or overlapping points.

and where are ya applying for med? good luck for it, with all the interviews and BMAT/UKCAT.

Thanks!
    Im intending to apply to Sheffield,Aberdeen,Southampthon and Bristol .Sadly,I cant apply to e london universities because I don't meet their bio requirement(I don't study bio.)

ReputationRep:
    Before 9 AUG slips by, HAPPY BIRTHDAY SINGAPORE! Totally a blast!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Crystalline]Alright.Based on what my teacher has told me,he doesnt has much experience with UCAS,teacher reference for UK education,etc.Thus,Im actually really worried about it. Are you intending to study in the UK too?

Heya! Yeah I'm applying for law this year for entry next year It's all really scary! Don't worry too much i think. If you consider it, if you can do a decent job of writing your own statement, heck you could easily have the statement of your dreams! LOL. The rest of us have to pray that our teachers decide to be kind!

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    fellow singaporean here apply for medicine2010.
    not really sure where i am going to apply to though...Are there places with a greater proportion of singaporeans (it should be london right?)
    btw, should i inform my tutor that i require a reference now? hehe sorry really blur
    thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ying23)
    Hello!
    fellow singaporean here apply for medicine2010.
    not really sure where i am going to apply to though...Are there places with a greater proportion of singaporeans (it should be london right?)
    btw, should i inform my tutor that i require a reference now? hehe sorry really blur
    thanks!
    You're applying for medicine, so yeah i think you should. they may get annoyed if you aks them to late and no one wants annoyance showing through their references :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chronicles)
    You're applying for medicine, so yeah i think you should. they may get annoyed if you aks them to late and no one wants annoyance showing through their references :p:
    haha alrights! Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    haha,alright
    How about you? Which university will you enroll to?

ReputationRep:
    hey guys. our application is only on 1st sept right (for overseas student) ? i see plenty of talks about application now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanglewire)
    hey guys. our application is only on 1st sept right (for overseas student) ? i see plenty of talks about application now.
    Yup.. Application cycle for 2010 and 2011 opens come 1 sep, which is this coming friday..

ReputationRep:
    u mean tuesday ?

ReputationRep:
    u mean tuesday ?
    Oh yeah!!. I SOOO sorry.. i'm sooo excited that i got the days mixed up..

ReputationRep:
    hahaha. thanks anyway.

i've prepared my personal statement and got a lecturer to be my referee for the application. what else do i need aside from those basic filling up of the application form?

ReputationRep:
    hahaha. thanks anyway.

i've prepared my personal statement and got a lecturer to be my referee for the application. what else do i need aside from those basic filling up of the application form?
    well you covered the major parts already.. involving PS and referee statement. just fill in the nittygritty stuff like your personal details, academic scores and employment records/details (if applicable) if you haven't done so i guess.

ReputationRep:
    oh so i can do it right away? thought the application only opens 1st sept ;p

ReputationRep:
    oh so i can do it right away? thought the application only opens 1st sept ;p
    oh what i meant was when the ucas apps for 2010 opens. hahah. dont be so eager my friend. there's plenty of time.. as long as you send in before the turn of the year, it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    i have to ! i'm enlisting army in 09/09/09 and there's no time to waste haha.

ReputationRep:
    i have to ! i'm enlisting army in 09/09/09 and there's no time to waste haha.
    ohh right tekong, meaning only can do apps on weekend. okay you are right. no time for you.. hahah.

ReputationRep:
    anyone know if i apply as an individual , my lecturer can still be my referee?

or anyone happens to know the buzzword for singapore poly ? haha.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.