Edexcel Chemistry A2 Unit 5 ~ Wednesday 19th June 2013 (Now Closed) Watch

Poll: How pumped up are you for this exam?-(warning)-(bad jokes arene this poll!)
"Titanium-I'm not going to corrode (even at high temperatures)" (A*) (22)
16.67%
"Benzene's my middle name, give me the paper in a week and I'll ace it!" (A) (27)
20.45%
"Yeah, I'm fairly electrophillic (positively charged) about the exam" (B) (27)
20.45%
"I'm in the middle of the salt bridge, but I will pass-eventually" (C) (21)
15.91%
"I'm feeling rather electroNegative about this exam" (D) (18)
13.64%
"Benzene, what's that?" (E) (6)
4.55%
"Chemistry, what's that?" (F) (11)
8.33%
This discussion is closed.
clydeshen411
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
the international science edexcel papers this year is different from the one in uk! my offer requires an A in chemistry so i need to get 77% (only 83% in AS) this year... but my unit 4 was horrible, it was a difficult paper and I've lost like 5 marks by stupid mistakes, not even sure if i can get an A for that unit feel like im gonna miss my offer
AtomicMan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lordmackery)
What does everybody want/need in this paper then?
Need 96 for an A*

Posted from TSR Mobile
clydeshen411
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JRP95)
Hmm I'd take a gamble and not bother then, a big steam distillation question already came up a couple of years ago so they'll probably do something on recrystallisation/reflux/fractional distillation.

Also we don't need to know about all that stuff you said after the steam distillation?
Lol there are questions on recrystallisation/reflux/fractional distillation almost every year in unit 6b, the international alternative paper
senz72
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lordmackery)
What does everybody want/need in this paper then?
I need a B in chemistry which should be achievable I hope. I need 49 UMS. Want to push for an A but it seems a bit distant due to exam stress and lack of revision. Oh what have I done...

Posted from TSR Mobile
DrewYouTwo
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So practice questions guys.

Explain how Chomium hydroxide complex ions are amphoteric?
Knoyle quiah
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can someone please explain what is happening from CuI to F and from F to C by shaking and how to get from B to CuS04 again
Attached files
posthumus
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just did my first past paper today and I found it outrageously difficult (January 2011) :/

I understood most questions after going through the mark scheme and referring back to my book, however there was a question 15iv ... which required me to know about "azo-dyes" ??!!

That made no sense to me and it was worth 5 marks... along with another 5 marker which was the final question. I didn't have a clue what section C was all about

This unit is stupendously difficult!

(Original post by DrewYouTwo)
So practice questions guys.

Explain how Chomium hydroxide complex ions are amphoteric?
They can be further deprotonated to form water or they can react with H+ to form H2O ligands in the complex?
Knoyle quiah
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
how is it oxidised when reacting with iodine??? surely its reduced ??
Attached files
posthumus
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Knoyle quiah)
how is it oxidised when reacting with iodine??? surely its reduced ??
The sulfur in thiosfulate ion is oxidized by the iodine... one clue is that the iodine has been reduced from 0 to -1 state... therefore thiosulfate must have been oxidized! Since it's a redox reaction...

S2O3^2- .... the oxidizing state of sulfate here is:

Well oxygen -2 x 3 = -6.... there's already -2 charge.... -4 ... therefore each of two sulfur ions must be in the +2 state

then in S4O6^2- .... -2 x 6= -12 ... there's already -2 charge..... -10 .... therefore each of the 4 sulfur ions must be in the +2.5 state... and increase in oxidation number (by 0.5) means it has been oxidized
jojo1616
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can anyone explain this question ?thx
Posted from TSR Mobile
Attached files
Knoyle quiah
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jojo1616)
Posted from TSR Mobile
do you have george facer book?? page 224
Knoyle quiah
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by posthumus)
The sulfur in thiosfulate ion is oxidized by the iodine... one clue is that the iodine has been reduced from 0 to -1 state... therefore thiosulfate must have been oxidized! Since it's a redox reaction...

S2O3^2- .... the oxidizing state of sulfate here is:

Well oxygen -2 x 3 = -6.... there's already -2 charge.... -4 ... therefore each of two sulfur ions must be in the +2 state

then in S4O6^2- .... -2 x 6= -12 ... there's already -2 charge..... -10 .... therefore each of the 4 sulfur ions must be in the +2.5 state... and increase in oxidation number (by 0.5) means it has been oxidized
Thank you forgot about that iodine being reduced
posthumus
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't understand this completely but it needs to have 2 Cl- atoms ionically "attached" to it.... to give 2 moles of AgCl

Therefore the charge must be +2 on the complex.... but yh like Knoyle suggested, best to refer to the George Facer book
Knoyle quiah
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
are people learning how to make Terylene, Kevlar, and nylon 6,6 from scratch including knowing the monomers??? its on the spec but do we need to know how to make from scratch?
Bord3r
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Posted from TSR Mobile
Think of it in terms of ratios. In every 1 molecule of the complex there are three chlorines.
In every molecule of AgCl there is one chlorine.
However because there's double the number of moles of AgCl compared to the complex, there are two chlorines going to AgCl for every molecule of complex.
This leaves one Chlorine which must remain in the complex, thus the answer is C.
LeaX
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
if we were asked to show how zinc hydroxide is amphoteric by equations are these correct:

(Zn(OH)2(H2O)4] + H+ --> [Zn(OH)(H2O)5]+1
[Zn(OH)2(H2O)4] + OH- --> [Zn(OH)3(H2O)3]-1 +H2O
freakynerdlol
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How much of units 1,2 and 4 do we need to know for this exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
JRP95
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by freakynerdlol)
How much of units 1,2 and 4 do we need to know for this exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
All organic reactions are expected to be known. (so that's Like free radical elec addition even elimination)
Knoyle quiah
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
what is steam distillation actually used for?? i understand how it works but dont know the purpose for it
JRP95
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Knoyle quiah)
what is steam distillation actually used for?? i understand how it works but dont know the purpose for it
If the boiling temp of the mixture you're distilling is so High that it begins to decompose you pass steam into it to lower the boiling temp so it distills at a lower temp.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.9%
Not great so far... (217)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.31%

Watched Threads