Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RGBlinkFrayXx)
    Was thinking of Oxford but don't know whether my GCSEs are good enough?
    They are I don't know enough about Medicine to give you more advice though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bookishy101)
    GCSEs: 5A*s 6As
    AS Levels: AAAA (UMS average - 96%)
    Course: Joint Honours History and English Lit
    College: No idea
    EPQ on the presentation of women in slavery in literature

I'm very conflicted about whether to apply. I LOVE History and English passionately which is why I would want to go to Oxford, as opposed to many others who are mainly applying for reasons of prestige.

I'm worried though that the amount of work I will need to put in to get a place, my school makes out that its a huge amount of work and I really don't want my Oxford application to infringe on my A2 work and my EPQ, especially September-November when it will all be happening at once. I'm not the fastest worker in the world either. I don't want my other grades and therefore chances of getting into other unis to suffer especially when I know there's a high chance of not getting in to Oxford anyway. Is it going to be worth applying or not? I need some advice on whether there is any possibility of this happening??

Also I'm not the greatest speaker so I'm going to struggle with the interviews.. agh I'm so conflicted and parents and teachers are being no help D: please can someone give me some advice?? thanks
    You're clearly a very capable candidate, and it looks to me like you'd have as good a chance as anyone of getting in

I don't think applying to Oxford should get in the way of your other work. It would mean submitting your UCAS application earlier (but that means you can write most of it before you go back to school, you have to write it sometime), it would mean doing some practise HAT papers (not too much work), and possibly going to an interview (a few days away from school in December). Sure, it will have some impact, but nothing that should hurt you in a big way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecconomist)
    GCSEs - 9A* 2A
    AS Levels - AAAA Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Chemistry
    Course - Economics and Management
    College - Exeter

Just a few questions:
    Is the TSA challenging and how significant a factor does the TSA play in shortlisting for interview?
    Will I be at an instant disadvantage since I have Bs in some applied maths modules or do Oxford not care too much about module grades?
    How much weighting should my PS dedicate to the management aspect of the degree being as I'm applying to pure Econ elsewhere?
    Oxford don't care about module grades - or at least they won't know what they are! (You don't have to put module grades on your UCAS application.)

TSA is definitely important, but I'm afraid I don't know how important. Your grades suggest you could give it a good go!

I wouldn't worry about writing too much about Management. Possibly 20% of your PS, or thereabouts? You need to write enough to show you're interested in management, and not just applying because it's the way to study Econ at Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marthaklambert)
    Do I stand a better chance for maths at Cambridge or Oxford? (Considering that STEP is harder than MAT), I got 9A*s and 1 A at GCSE, and 97% A* in maths A2, then 94%, A in Chem and Phys As. I can't tell how hard Step is and whether I stand a chance at all. (I wil be taking the MAT anyway for imperial)
    I think your chances are quite similar for both.

Bear in mind though that Cambridge gives twice as many offers for Maths as they have actual spaces. So you won't know if you've really got in until the last minute (when STEP results come). Whereas if you get an Oxford offer, you'll probably be able to meet it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanCampbell_12)
    GCSE grades: 6A* 6A and a B in further Maths
    AS Levels: 4 As in History, German, English Language and English Lit (87% average)
    A-Levels- History A* (97% at A2) English Lit A* (100% at A2) and German A (although I only got 76% at A2) an A* in my EPQCourse: Law
    College: No idea
    I've already got a firmly accepted offer to Law at Nottingham starting in September, but my head of sixth form and headmaster have recommended that I take a year out and apply to Oxford for 2016 entry. So I'm now in a massive dilemma and have now idea what to do as I'd absolutely love to go to Oxford but it seems risky to discard my offer from Nottingham. Realistically what are the chances of getting in on those grades along with a decent LNAT score (I got 28 last year) and has anyone else here been in a similar sort of position?
    You'd definitely have a strong shot at Oxford, but it's by no stretch guaranteed.

You'd probably get into Nottingham again, so in one sense, it' not risky. But you could well take a year out for no gain. Depends if you have something you want to do for the next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by klefki)
    Hi guys! I would like some help deciding if I stand a better chance at Oxford or Cambridge? My AS results are good but UMS aren't very high;
    A (93%) Maths
    A (83%) Further Maths
    A (87%) Physics
    A (81%) Biology
    B (79%) Chemistry - having remarked, need 2UMS for A

Since the UMS aren't great, Oxford seems like a better option but Oxford looks at GCSEs and mine were pretty poor, 4A*s 5As and 3Bs. So now I'm stuck between Cambridge which doesn't look at GCSEs and Oxford which doesn't look at UMS. I don't really expect to get in but I think it's worth a shot anyway, where would I stand a better chance?
    You didn't say which course you want to apply for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    Mature students are certainly in a minority, but that doesn't mean your chances are lower (I wouldn't be surprised if mature students are less likely to post on TSR as well)
    Thankyou for your answer! I looked online but couldn't find any figures for number of mature undergraduates accepted and wonder if being mature but not applying to the mature-only college will disadvantage me. Is this something you think possible? Sorry for the 100 questions! X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivoryfall)
    Thankyou for your answer! I looked online but couldn't find any figures for number of mature undergraduates accepted and wonder if being mature but not applying to the mature-only college will disadvantage me. Is this something you think possible? Sorry for the 100 questions! X
    No, it shouldn't disadvantage you

(And I think it's quite common to have a second interview at Harris Manchester anyway.)

ReputationRep:
    No, it shouldn't disadvantage you

(And I think it's quite common to have a second interview at Harris Manchester anyway.)
    Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate your patience and kindness, and I'm sure everyone else in this thread would agree you have been an amazing source of reassurance and guidance thank you! <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivoryfall)
    Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate your patience and kindness, and I'm sure everyone else in this thread would agree you have been an amazing source of reassurance and guidance thank you! <3
    My pleasure

(I know from experience that applying can be confusing!)

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!
    When i got my CIE AS results i achieved A's in english language and AICT (i'm the only one who got a grades in these subjects from my centre) and B's in math and chemistry
    The B in math is depressing because I really love math and used to think that if there's a subject I would get an A in, it would definitely be math but i screwed up in my stats paper (i think i dropped like 15 marks). This B in math is not because i didn't work hard enough or practised enough past papers but because i tend to make lots of silly mistakes during the exam, which brings me to my next point.
    I have to achieve at least A*AA in order to get into oxford , i know about TSA for psychology and all but for now i wanna know which sub to drop for a2
    I emailed oxford asking for consequences if i drop chem and they said that admission tutors would 'strongly' prefer it if i have an A/A* in a science/math subject
    Now the obvious choice would be to drop chemistry but i'm afraid i won't be able to achieve an A in math due to my silliest mistakes - also, everyone is discouraging me from doing four a2s as i am also doing an internship and eng a2 on my own (not offered at my school)
    any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    GCSEs: 5A* 6As
    AS Levels: 3As and B: however, I got 100% in history and 99% in politics. (economics is getting remarked which was the B)
    My predicted grades: A*A*A*
    Subject: History
    I was wondering whether it is worth me applying to Oxford. My teacher seems to think I would do well on the HAT, and that will mean that my GCSEs won't look that bad relatively. Also, my teacher has suggested that my referee put my UMS in my academic reference as they are a vast improvement on my GCSEs showing my improvement. Is this worth doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr...)
    I am, I'm guessing you are too.
    Yes I am

ReputationRep:
    Oxford don't care about module grades - or at least they won't know what they are! (You don't have to put module grades on your UCAS application.)

TSA is definitely important, but I'm afraid I don't know how important. Your grades suggest you could give it a good go!

I wouldn't worry about writing too much about Management. Possibly 20% of your PS, or thereabouts? You need to write enough to show you're interested in management, and not just applying because it's the way to study Econ at Oxford.
    I've heard a rumour that at St John's maths interviews they ask you for your module results
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by colourtheory)
    I got AABC at AS and 2 A*s, 7 As, 2 Bs at GCSE. I'm now going into my second year of History at Oxford. You'll be fine.

We agree with colourtheory and would apply in your position.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Banana00)
    Yes I am
    Good luck with your GCSEs and eventually your application here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr...)
    Good luck with your GCSEs and eventually your application here.
    Aww - thank you; good luck to you as well

ReputationRep:
    GCSE grades: 12A*s, 1A(additional maths FSMQ)
    A levels: at AS I got 4As. Dunno what I'm predicted but I expect I'll be predicted A*AA.
    Course: Earth Science
    College: not sure.....considering Exeter, St Anne's, Univ, St Edmund's Hall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faquarl)
    GCSE grades: 12A*s, 1A(additional maths FSMQ)
    A levels: at AS I got 4As. Dunno what I'm predicted but I expect I'll be predicted A*AA.
    Course: Earth Science
    College: not sure.....considering Exeter, St Anne's, Univ, St Edmund's Hall.
    Add it to the stalking page, link on the front page of thread.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how much weighting Oxford gives to the LNAT?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.