Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paraphilos)
    if y(x) = a^x, then \log(y) = x\log(a); thus by implicit differentiation: \dfrac{1}{y}\dfrac{dy}{dx} = \log(a) \implies \dfrac{dy}{dx} = y\log(a) \implies \boxed{\dfrac{dy}{dx} = a^x\log(a)}
    thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :d

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Use Chebysev's

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Could you explain 4b and how you'd get that x=0.1?
    https://a086a5a2f39bda93734c56a63fab...%20Edexcel.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Use U=cosx, and you should be good

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arsenalfc97)
    When finding the shortest distance from the point to a line, how can you assume that a right angle is made between the point and the line?
    Draw a line and draw a point. Draw random connections from that point to the line. You will bee the shortest distance is when the connection is perpendicular to the line

ReputationRep:
    Hey can someone please explain to me June 2014, 7b and how the volume of a cone thing works- don't get it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manlikem)
    what do you mean? The question is just integrate sinx cos^3 x dx
    The identity cos^2x + sin^2x = 1 is used when integrating odd powers of sinx and cosx.
    Integral of cos^3x
    = integral of cosx cos^2x
    = integral of cosx (1 - sin^2x)
    = integral of cosx - cosx sin^2x
    Then use integration of even powers of sinx
    Hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    https://5a302d29ff432793ce79475dd3db...%20Edexcel.pdf

how do you do Question 4?
    nvm

ReputationRep:
    You cant do it by parts, as i keep going in loops and circles haha. I think you do it by inspection? which is something i cant do, but will have another try

ReputationRep:
    Do we have to use the identical to sign when writing partial fractions or can we just use the '=' sign? Would we lose marks

ReputationRep:
    If you ever have any integral involving both sine and cosine functions in C4, you can hazard a guess that some kind of substitution will be involved, seeing as one derives the other (more or less).

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone explain question 8F from the IAL January 2014 paper (link: http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/...rs/c4-edexcel/ )
    Thank you ^.^
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by sj97)
    Could you explain 4b and how you'd get that x=0.1?
    https://a086a5a2f39bda93734c56a63fab...%20Edexcel.pdf

(Original post by SeanFM)
    Well, you've expanded 8-9x cube rooted, and you're asked to find the cube root of 7100. So you ask yourself how you can make 8-9x look anything like 7100. Well, x=1/10 makes it 7.1, so using the expansion you get the cube root of 7.1. But we want the cube root of something a thousand times bigger.

Just like (2*4)^2 = 8^2 = 64 = 4*16 = 2^2 * 4^2, the cube root of 7100 can be split into the cube root of 7.1 and the cube root of 1000 multiplied together. So you get the expansion for 7.1 and multiply by the cube root of 1000, which is 10.

ReputationRep:
    First, separate the functions of the variables y and x and in doing so integrate both sides; remember:

\dfrac{dy}{dx} = f(x)g(y) \implies \displaystyle\int \dfrac{1}{g(y)} dy = \displaystyle\int f(x) dx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mb_12)
    The identity cos^2x + sin^2x = 1 is used when integrating odd powers of sinx and cosx.
    Integral of cos^3x
    Hope it helps
    So what what would you do exactly after you get cosx - cosx sin^2x ??

ReputationRep:
    EDIT: Ignore, lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mb_12)
    Integral of cos^3x
    Hope it helps
    I think even then that is perhaps a little complicated; consider instead:

\displaystyle\int \cos^3(x) dx = \displaystyle\int \cos(x)(1 - \sin^2(x)) dx, then, substitute u(x) := \sin(x).

Although I am aware that the original question was to integrate a function of both sine and cosine, the above hopefully illustrates how to integrate an odd power of cosine (/sine).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paraphilos)
    First, separate the functions of the variables y and x and in doing so integrate both sides; remember:

\dfrac{dy}{dx} = f(x)g(y) \implies \displaystyle\int \dfrac{1}{g(y)} dy = \displaystyle\int f(x) dx
    is it y=2(e^tan3x+1)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mb_12)
    Integral of cos^3x
    Hope it helps
    thanks! and if I use substitution could I make cos x = u?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alice Moody)
    You cant do it by parts, as i keep going in loops and circles haha. I think you do it by inspection? which is something i cant do, but will have another try
    thanks for trying!

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully vectors aint the last question, when it is its usually a mad ting

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.