Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Law Offers for 2016? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    UCL's given most of its offers out, and has had its interviews for those doing Law with a foreign legal system on the 20th. KCL hasn't really gotten back to anyone who hasn't applied for a scholarship, or who hasn't applied with achieved A-Level/IB grades.
    How do you know ucl has given most of them out?

I feel as though you have just presumed from what you read on here, either that or you work for the university....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baconwoo)
    How do you know ucl has given most of them out?

I feel as though you have just presumed from what you read on here, either that or you work for the university....
    Nope, visited the offer holders' day and asked the admissions staff themselves during the meet-and-greet.

ReputationRep:
    In October!
    (Original post by Bobkata)
    Congrats on your offer When did you send off your application? I hope I will hear from them soon

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by crocface)
    Do not fall for the Birmingham unconditional trick. The only reason some Unis give unconditional is because they know there will be places left in clearing. Last year I did a lot of realtime research during clearing for all unis offering law courses that I might be interested in. Birmingham was in clearing both from the beginning of IB results day and A level results day. That tells me you will highly likely get it in clearing anyway, especially as they have already given you an offer. Therefore don´t waste your chance of a hard earned place at UCL or Bristol which would never be in clearing.
    is there a reason why birmingham always ends up in Clearing year in year out? birmingham acts very tough with it's entry requirements but in Clearing they've been known to let people in who've missed their grades. so why the pretense in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    UCL's given most of its offers out, and has had its interviews for those doing Law with a foreign legal system on the 20th. KCL hasn't really gotten back to anyone who hasn't applied for a scholarship, or who hasn't applied with achieved A-Level/IB grades.
    Well, if that is the case, am I screwed? I mean, I have been waiting for UCL since November 18th. I hope they will get back to me soon

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audrey18)
    is there a reason why birmingham always ends up in Clearing year in year out? birmingham acts very tough with it's entry requirements but in Clearing they've been known to let people in who've missed their grades. so why the pretense in the first place?
    Its all about branding and image and where they position their standard offer. There are lot of tripple A unis that are perceived to be better therefore rarely are they one of the 5 choices so will always end in clearing. They are just trying to move up by raising image by setting high grades. For QMUL the strategy has been successful but not for Birmingham so far

ReputationRep:
    Nope, visited the offer holders' day and asked the admissions staff themselves during the meet-and-greet.
    My friend went aswell, she told them she knew people who were still waiting and they told her not to worry as they still had a lot of places to give out.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baconwoo)
    My friend went aswell, she told them she knew people who were still waiting and they told her not to worry as they still had a lot of places to give out.....
    "A lot" doesn't have anything to do with proportion. I originally said this:

"UCL's given most of its offers out, and has had its interviews for those doing Law with a foreign legal system on the 20th."

That's not to say that no one is going to get an offer for Law from now onward, just that most of their offers have apparently been given out already. However, the exact number of offers that remain to be given remains unknown, so, as is the case with the other London unis, people should stop reading too much into it and see what happens
    Spoiler:
    Show

(Original post by crocface)
    Its all about branding and image and where they position their standard offer. There are lot of tripple A unis that are perceived to be better therefore rarely are they one of the 5 choices so will always end in clearing. They are just trying to move up by raising image by setting high grades. For QMUL the strategy has been successful but not for Birmingham so far
    I have friends in SOAS, Kings, LSE, UCL, QM and Oxbridge and I've just asked all of them on whatsapp. funnily enough they all say that it has something to do with Birmingham's landscape in terms of the community enclaves there?? i've just replied to them to ask them what has community enclaves got to do with tons of vacant places on Birmingham's LLB course! my friends are really absurd.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Is it significant that Birmingham sent me an email saying they are still reviewing my application? Did anyone else get this just before a response?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
    Is it significant that Birmingham sent me an email saying they are still reviewing my application? Did anyone else get this just before a response?
    Its just 'marketing' to reassure you that they haven't forgotten you.
    It doesn't mean anything significant.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Oh... That's disappointing but it makes sense. :/

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard from Nottingham or Warwick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student98x)
    Anyone heard from Nottingham or Warwick?
    Nottingham took exactly six weeks before they gave me an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oli19919)
    For those who have been offered places for law at Oxford-> what were your gcses (and a massive congrats!!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you, I'm not sure if anyone has already responded but: 9A*s, 1A :-)

ReputationRep:
    When will UCL give out some more offers/rejections... I am literally so impatient. Been waiting since November...anyone who knows anything or has seen any stats from last years?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard from Durham/Bristol?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solrac777)
    Anyone heard from Durham/Bristol?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I got an offer from Bristol last week

ReputationRep:
    Applied on nov4, still waiting for kings and nottingham. Anyone with an offer from them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michlammm)
    I got an offer from Bristol last week
    Nice one, what As' and GCSES did you get?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.