St George's
    5.58%
    Other
    25.72%
    I dont know :')
    4.13%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gogregg)
    That's true, but if you really are against it, then at least ask someone. It may not be normal policy, but that doesn't mean they don't do it? And if they don't allow you, offer to pay for it and study the rest of the AS content yourself to make sure you know it and have covered it, and then I'd really say see how it's going up until mocks, and if 4 is feeling a bit much, or you aren't doing as well as you would hope for, just drop Geography then.

In the end, though, it's up to you.
    Thanks

I rang a few of the Unis and looked on their websites. They said that they don't look at AS levels. I hope that is true/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt9077)
    Is there any change of getting accepted into medicine with bad GCSEs grades ( 5a* 1a 3bs) .I got my results and I was so disappointed with them. I'm Predicted AAAA at AS and hopefully a stars at A2 with a good ukcat and personal statement would I have a chance?
    It depends on the requirements of each Med School (see http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...y_Requirements), but remember to check these with Unis as requirements change year by year.

You can ask your school/college if you can retake GCSEs alongside A levels to get better grades (check the policy of each Uni to see if they allow this).

It isnt just about grades - as an example, Bristol's assessment of your application is 20% on grades, 10% UKCAT (this will go up next year) and a whopping great 70% on your PS. You could have spectacular grades - and still not get anywhere near an interview.

Since no-one has a clue how all the other applicants will shape up, asking 'do I stand a chance' really is a bit silly.

ReputationRep:
    2A*s (one was in short course RS, the other was english lit) 6As and 4Bs (inc. core and additional science - further was an A) at GCSE. What are my chances?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MiracleLeaf)
    2A*s (one was in short course RS, the other was english lit) 6As and 4Bs (inc. core and additional science - further was an A) at GCSE. What are my chances?
    Thanks
    Avoid the GCSE heavy uni's such as Cardiff, QUB and Birmingham, work hard in your AS levels and get a good UKCAT score and you should be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    Basically what the above person said.
    Do not undermine your UKCAT in any way. Start preparing early and practise practise practise.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

First of all you already got an answer for this earlier, and this isn't really the place to be asking this. There are plenty of other suitable threads instead of the current applicants thread?

But you will have to be careful as to where you apply with B's in the sciences. Don't apply to any GCSE heavy universities such as Oxford, Birmingham, Cardiff, Edinburgh, etc. and it would likely be best to avoid anywhere that scores/ranks your GCSEs (apart from perhaps SGUL) such as Leicester or Nottingham.

Look through all the university websites and see what they value, what they look for in their admissions process and apply to your strengths. Other than that, it's way too early to say whether or not you have a good chance of getting in since your GCSEs can be such a minor part of your application.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Not sure who's doing the new OCR linear Bio & Chem next year, but i've started a thread so feel free to contribute

BIO:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...8#post68151362

CHEM:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...2#post68150936

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, i was wondering at MMI do u still get traditional questions thrown in there too as if it was a panel interview? Like about your greatest strengths, knowledge of nhs etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisdale98)
    Hey guys, i was wondering at MMI do u still get traditional questions thrown in there too as if it was a panel interview? Like about your greatest strengths, knowledge of nhs etc?
    It's possible. I think at MMIs interviews there might still be stations where you are more traditional questions. Of course no on knows what questions for sure

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    so excited to hear from all of my uni choices which sounds a little strange but I am just going to be patient
    How many weeks prior to the interview date will the universities inform us?

ReputationRep:
    The backup choices should be telling us their decisions from november onwards. some people already got offers for their backups but I guess it depends on the university

ReputationRep:
    Would be so happy if I receive an interview from any one of my universities because I love them all. It's all about acing the interview - fingers crossed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11...)
    so excited to hear from all of my uni choices which sounds a little strange but I am just going to be patient
    How many weeks prior to the interview date will the universities inform us?
    Varies so much, I don't think anyone can really say for certain
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by 11...)
    Would be so happy if I receive an interview from any one of my universities because I love them all. It's all about acing the interview - fingers crossed
    legit exactly how I feel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma.sx)
    Varies so much, I don't think anyone can really say for certain
    (Original post by 11...)
    Ikr, and They generally will let you know a few weeks to a month in advance of your interview, so hull-york for example start interviewing on the 7th of December and they said they would start sending invites from late November. My other choices all pretty much interview in February so not expecting to hear back from the others til jan.

ReputationRep:
    Have any universities sent interview invites yet for medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I can do this)
    Have any universities sent interview invites yet for medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They don't have our UKCAT scores yet.

The earliest interview invites will be sent out is November, but that will be very few and far between.
    Expect interview invites to start coming around December/January for the majority of people who will get an interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gogregg)
    They don't have our UKCAT scores yet.

The earliest interview invites will be sent out is November, but that will be very few and far between.
    Expect interview invites to start coming around December/January for the majority of people who will get an interview.
    Bristol has some interview dates at the end of November (they have published all the dates on the website) so assuming they will send out some interviews as soon as they get UKCAT results which is scary Do you know anything about when Birmingham start sending interview invites? Can't seem to find it anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella1999)
    Bristol has some interview dates at the end of November (they have published all the dates on the website) so assuming they will send out some interviews as soon as they get UKCAT results which is scary Do you know anything about when Birmingham start sending interview invites? Can't seem to find it anywhere.
    They interview from November to March, so I assume they will start sending some invites out once they get the UKCAT scores in November and then continue to send out invites up until early march I assume.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella1999)
    Do you think Bristol have already started looking at and scoring the PS, then? That's a bit scary! :eek:

It's weird how we could start hearing back next month, but also as late as march...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.