Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKStudent17)
    Yeah. I just checked my school's prospectus, and apparently to carry onto Year 13 I need a minimum of 2 D's or above to carry on. If I get 2, then I'll most likely need to retake a 3rd, which I'm 100% fine with so long as I can stay.
    Oh man that's really nerve racking 😖
    If the questions were good for history I'm sure you'll be okay! What kind of history is it? My college do Russia and China but I dropped it because I prefer modern American history...
    Geography is a nice subject I'm sure they'll be fair with marks for the papers. Don't know much about lit but I know you need to know a lot of literature for the exam! Hopefully you did good though.

Fate will be determined in August (I think)
    I'm starting next year next week! However we don't need specific grades to move onto the next year so I guess I'm lucky in that sense

It's sad that now it's over there's nothing we can do to make a difference other than worry about the mark

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stratagems)
    The question wasn't abut assessing past reforms though, so I can't see how it would be about assessing 2007 onwards when they emphasis used future reform, ie. devolution - upcoming Scotland Act, electoral process - English votes for English laws, EU referendum, Cameron's proposal for a British Bill of Rights.. The only placed I thought to mention the past is devolution, ie that Scotland elected to remain part of the Union which satisfied that question for now but EU referendum may shake that up making a synoptic link.
    Yeah I get that, by the sounds of it i think you've nailed it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    WHAT I DID:
    Pm and cabinet-

5 marker- used source discussed, head of cabinet and the other 2 functions and explained them fully, did think it was slightly tricky but should have got around 4/5.

10 marker- Coalition government- affecting Patronage as shown in source and used examples e.g Clegg and Cameron discussing the appointment of lib dem ministers e.g Cable. Prerogative Powers- david cameron was to some extent obliged to discuss with Clegg about sending troops into Libya ( i got the date wrong- will i loose many marks?), explained it and then countered saying that the vote on syrian airstikes indicated that perhaps Cameron is just a weeker leader and the coalition government does not have such a significant impact their.

Finally- his role in the media became blurred and also spoke about the implementation of policy being effected due to the different views of conservatives and liberal minded lib dems.

25 marker- Majority is crutial- thatcher, Blair etc- move more poitically free e.g privitising coal industry (thatcher), exercising prerogative powers- Blair. Then spoke about coalition government acting as a restraint- hung majority, lack of legitimacy etc. Then spoke all about spatial leadership, the presidentalism debate e.g Thatcher was able to move more freely as she relied more on the role of special advisors etc. i also spoke about opposition, patronage etc all effecting the constraints etc. Also the increased role in the media over recent years has created constraints. littered with examples.

40 MARKER- Judiciary
    Hra- codified set of rules for judges, Freedom info act- more judicial reviews- more judge cases to protect rights- constitutinal reform act 2005- supreme court, independent neutral, protect our rights. Countered- judges unelected, social composition is not representnative e.g 11 oxbridge. Then said but Lord woolf etc buck trend. Executive- elected, more accountable, recent advances in tech indicate a better relationship between mps and citizens so rights more likely to be protected. British Bill of Rights- executive proposed change (con manifiesto) so should be responsible. Belmarsh case, Mental Health act, Leveson public inquiry- judiciary proved that they are succeful guardians. Palriament not good as sovereignty has eroded the hra. Then rounded it all up.

Should get an A hopefully

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollyadtr)
    Oh man that's really nerve racking 😖
    If the questions were good for history I'm sure you'll be okay! What kind of history is it? My college do Russia and China but I dropped it because I prefer modern American history...
    Geography is a nice subject I'm sure they'll be fair with marks for the papers. Don't know much about lit but I know you need to know a lot of literature for the exam! Hopefully you did good though.

Fate will be determined in August (I think)
    I'm starting next year next week! However we don't need specific grades to move onto the next year so I guess I'm lucky in that sense

It's sad that now it's over there's nothing we can do to make a difference other than worry about the mark

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We're learning about US History 1865 - 1945/1975 (Not 100% sure on the end-date) and we're learning about Britain between 1951 and 2007. AS deals with 1865 - 1920 and Britain 1951 - 1979, so it's split into two.

The exam about Geographical investigations (talking about data we collected on a trip to the coast + other topics) went much better than the first exam (sadly, the first exam of the lot, so a great start...). The boundaries might be nice, but I doubt it'll be enough. I think it's something like 100/200 (UMS raw marks) to just get a D.

Funnily enough, the one subject which I felt was nice in terms of questions and content (History) was based on AQA, not Edexcel. All the others are Edexcel.

ReputationRep:
    What i had written was
    Uncodified vs codified
    Consitiution being to flexible therefore needing reform
    Human rights act
    it being outdated
    I think i was wrong.. crap! 40 marks down the drain!1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hbaig27)
    How vital are examples for the 40m, my points and development were solid but i lacked examples, i still used a few but not a lot.
    Well evidence/ examples show knowledge, and knowledge accounts for 20 marks in the 40 markers, so they are much more focuses on knowledge than 25 markers unfortunately, but like you said you had some, and as longm as they successfully back up your points then you should get at least level 2 so 7-13 marks for knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKStudent17)
    We're learning about US History 1865 - 1945/1975 (Not 100% sure on the end-date) and we're learning about Britain between 1951 and 2007. AS deals with 1865 - 1920 and Britain 1951 - 1979, so it's split into two.

Funnily enough, the one subject which I felt was nice in terms of questions and content (History) was based on AQA, not Edexcel. All the others are Edexcel.
    Oh my god I'm actually so jealous iv would have loved to continue doing history on the us and Britain

An exam based on research and a field trip? That doesn't actually sound that bad, I wish the GCSE one was based on a case we did...you never know though you might just get lucky and get the points you need!

I must admit Aqa are much nicer than edexcel, we had our maths exam by edexcel and it was always twice as difficult as Aqa

But sure if you're doing 4 subjects that your school will think you're pretty smart anyway and wouldn't force you to drop one if you don't get the marks you need?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollyadtr)
    Oh my god I'm actually so jealous iv would have loved to continue doing history on the us and Britain

An exam based on research and a field trip? That doesn't actually sound that bad, I wish the GCSE one was based on a case we did...you never know though you might just get lucky and get the points you need!

I must admit Aqa are much nicer than edexcel, we had our maths exam by edexcel and it was always twice as difficult as Aqa

But sure if you're doing 4 subjects that your school will think you're pretty smart anyway and wouldn't force you to drop one if you don't get the marks you need?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Most sixth form students (at least in my school) will drop a subject and continue with 3, unless they enjoy the extra pressure and/or get amazing AS results while wanting to continue with 4. Funnily enough, my original plan was to drop Politics because it didn't feel as significant to me as opposed to let's say History. But now, if I'm lucky in the smallest chance, that I get into Year 13 in my school, I'm just going to drop whichever subject I got the lowest grade in (probably Geography).

Probably going to need to consider alternative options. Might go to my school to ask for suggestions... although I'd rather not go to them. Just hate all of it, you know? This summer will be me fretting over what I could've got, where I'll go, what people will think, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, can someone please reassure me whether or not I have answered the 40 marker on Judiciary correctly. Here are some of things I included-

Judges are good guardians for rights & civil liberties because:
    • Belmarsh 9 case- explained, linked to question.
    •Mental Health Act- explained, linked to question.
    •Abu Qatada- explained, linked to question.
    •Judicial Reviews e.g- Gurkha's soldiers- explained, linked to question.

Judges are not good guardian than Parliament & executive because:
    •A case has to come to court for judges to deal with them.
    •Bank Assets case- where judges asked Parliament to create a law & then they can do what they want.
    •Tom Nicklinson- Judges ruled that Parliament should create a law on this.
    •Independent Living Allowance- judge was unable to stop parliament but had sympathy for those affected.

Conclusion:
    •Talked about why Judges are not good guardian as Parliament is sovereign.

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW MANY MARKS OUT OF 40 I MAY ACHIEVE?? THANK YOU IM ADVANCE!! I HOPE THE EXAM WENT WELL FOR YOU ALL!

ReputationRep:
    will i loose a mark for messing up a date

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7fhs99)
    Hey, can someone please reassure me whether or not I have answered the 40 marker on Judiciary correctly. Here are some of things I included-

Judges are good guardians for rights & civil liberties because:
    • Belmarsh 9 case- explained, linked to question.
    •Mental Health Act- explained, linked to question.
    •Abu Qatada- explained, linked to question.
    •Judicial Reviews e.g- Gurkha's soldiers- explained, linked to question.

Judges are not good guardian than Parliament & executive because:
    •A case has to come to court for judges to deal with them.
    •Bank Assets case- where judges asked Parliament to create a law & then they can do what they want.
    •Tom Nicklinson- Judges ruled that Parliament should create a law on this.
    •Independent Living Allowance- judge was unable to stop parliament but had sympathy for those affected.

Conclusion:
    •Talked about why Judges are not good guardian as Parliament is sovereign.

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW MANY MARKS OUT OF 40 I MAY ACHIEVE?? THANK YOU IM ADVANCE!! I HOPE THE EXAM WENT WELL FOR YOU ALL!
    Ours seem similar ( you can see what i have done, slightly above)... Yours looks good and clear- did you refer back to the question? Strong conclusion and also did you talk about the executive being more representative due to gen election etc. Should defo get 30+ depending on your essay structure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigpaddy27)
    will i loose a mark for messing up a date
    I doubt much. As long as it is close enough, you should be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigpaddy27)
    Ours seem similar ( you can see what i have done, slightly above)... Yours looks good and clear- did you refer back to the question? Strong conclusion and also did you talk about the executive being more representative due to gen election etc. Should defo get 30+ depending on your essay structure.
    Slightly, I did comment on Judges being independent and not having to impress the public as they are unelected in the intro. My conclusion was alright, not VERY strong as i did run out of time. But you're 30+ gave me so much reassurance, thank you!!!

ReputationRep:
    I wrote about codification... LIKE 2 PAGES ON THAT..
    then touched on HOL and electoral reform ...
    ( is codification definitely wrong? I would be screwed then.

ReputationRep:
    HOW DOES THIS SOUND FOR CONSTITUTION QUESTION?!

Intro: can't even remember what I wrote, quite brief

Para 2: electoral reform, FPTP non-proportional etc
    Para 3: however... FPTP often produces strong government w/ winner's bonus, therefore allowing it to use its electorate given mandate to push through manifesto policies

Para 4: elected HoL following incomplete Labour reforms
    Para 5: however... could create tension between HoC and HoL as they'd both be democratically elected etc

Para 6: FOR codified constitution... has potential to limit PM and executive power etc
    Para 7: AGAINST codified... not flexible, conservative view that it should be organic etc

Conclusion: as with intro, can't even remember lol

Feel like I royally ****ed this up by the sounds of it? A lot of people seem to be saying you shouldn't have written about codified/uncodified. Also feel like HoL, electoral reform and codified wasn't enough to talk about? (I missed a large portion of school so am completely unsure on how to structure 40 marks, just went with my best instinct)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MBenjamin)
    16-18/25

25-28/40

sorry to say, but the conclusion is one of the most important things in a 40 marker
    Sorry laths 2.0

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx)
    HOW DOES THIS SOUND FOR CONSTITUTION QUESTION?!

Intro: can't even remember what I wrote, quite brief

Para 2: electoral reform, FPTP non-proportional etc
    Para 3: however... FPTP often produces strong government w/ winner's bonus, therefore allowing it to use its electorate given mandate to push through manifesto policies

Para 4: elected HoL following incomplete Labour reforms
    Para 5: however... could create tension between HoC and HoL as they'd both be democratically elected etc

Para 6: FOR codified constitution... has potential to limit PM and executive power etc
    Para 7: AGAINST codified... not flexible, conservative view that it should be organic etc

Conclusion: as with intro, can't even remember lol

Feel like I royally ****ed this up by the sounds of it? A lot of people seem to be saying you shouldn't have written about codified/uncodified. Also feel like HoL, electoral reform and codified wasn't enough to talk about? (I missed a large portion of school so am completely unsure on how to structure 40 marks, just went with my best instinct)

The question doesn't ask us to assess the benefits of codification vs uncodified, but I linked it to protecting minority rights and thus the Bill of Rights proposed by the government would codify it. Idk if that's right but I suppose if you linked it it could be OK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stratagems)
    The question doesn't ask us to assess the benefits of codification vs uncodified, but I linked it to protecting minority rights and thus the Bill of Rights proposed by the government would codify it. Idk if that's right but I suppose if you linked it it could be OK?
    I feel as though I did link it in (I'm always very conscious of trying to answer the question really directly so this really was on my mind) but shoooooot.

Do you have any idea of how my other points might do/if I used enough points? Sorry to pester, it's just that from where I've missed a few months of school I'm very iffy on exam style and content of the courses

ReputationRep:
    Do you think I could lose marks on the 40 marker if my essay was unbalanced I did 4 paragraphs saying that there should be further constitutional reform like devolution, restoration of right e.g human rights act, democratisation( House of Lords reform not gone far enough) and modernity( freedom of information act) but I only did 3 counters and left out the counter on modernity due to time but I was able to get in a solid conclusion, so would I lose marks for making it unbalanced

ReputationRep:
    The exam was pretty easy, but I screwed up one one thing: I rushed and wrote the questions in the wrong sections. I hope I don't fail Government and Politics on a mere technicality like that...will they still mark my work?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is your favourite day of the week

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.