UKCAT 2008 Thread Watch

Danielisew
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think some people over estimate the importance of the UKCAT. For some universities such as Edinburgh, it may be more important. Most of them (for example Southampton, Manchehster, Leeds, Brighton & sussex..) use the UKCAT as a part of your application whilst taking EVERYTHING else into consideration. A low UKCAT score doesn't mean much if your PS is excellent with good predictions and references.
OriginofSymmetry
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Danielisew)
I think some people over estimate the importance of the UKCAT. For some universities such as Edinburgh, it may be more important. Most of them (for example Southampton, Manchehster, Leeds, Brighton & sussex..) use the UKCAT as a part of your application whilst taking EVERYTHING else into consideration. A low UKCAT score doesn't mean much if your PS is excellent with good predictions and references.

Someone has some sense in this thread!
shriya
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
um,i did my test this afternoon,and i got:

VR:730
QR:610
AR:510
DA:710

i was thinking of applying to barts,kings,newcastle and glasgow.should i change my uni choices,taking into consideration my UKCAT?
Isometrix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by shriya)
um,i did my test this afternoon,and i got:

VR:730
QR:610
AR:510
DA:710

i was thinking of applying to barts,kings,newcastle and glasgow.should i change my uni choices,taking into consideration my UKCAT?
you have an average of 640. be happy. kings will look at your ukcat a lot if you're academics aren't too great. what did you get at gcse/as? i should think you're other uni choices are fine...but newcastle don't look at gcse's anymore which suggests to me that they'll indirectly look more upon the ukcat.
shriya
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Isometrix)
you have an average of 640. be happy. kings will look at your ukcat a lot if you're academics aren't too great. what did you get at gcse/as? i should think you're other uni choices are fine...but newcastle don't look at gcse's anymore which suggests to me that they'll indirectly look more upon the ukcat.
i did not do gcse,i got BBBBC in AS,will be predicted AAAA in A2.what do you think now,tbh,i dont think i should apply to kings anymore.should i give newcastle a go?
Isometrix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i did not do gcse,i got BBBBC in AS,will be predicted AAAA in A2.what do you think now,tbh,i dont think i should apply to kings anymore.should i give newcastle a go?
nice job on the predicted grades!
i think you should put kings on hold as they specifically say on their website that the ukcat plays a larger role if you're academics aren't as good...however you have good predicted grades which might sort of put you in the middle.
have you considered manchester? they don't look at AS grades...
i think you're all good for newcastle.
shriya
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Isometrix)
nice job on the predicted grades!
i think you should put kings on hold as they specifically say on their website that the ukcat plays a larger role if you're academics aren't as good...however you have good predicted grades which might sort of put you in the middle.
have you considered manchester? they don't look at AS grades...
i think you're all good for newcastle.
um,no,they are too close to my home.what do you think of aberdeen?
shriya
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Kerjagga)
I just did the test a few hours ago –

VR 590
QR 660
AR 720
DA 750

Average = 680

I’m a little disappointed, but I will live. My advice for anyone that is about to take the test is to not focus on the time limit. The only section that I answered more than two thirds of the questions on was the DA.

Could someone tell me what they think of my non-cognitive analysis? I noticed that some people have been writing three parts, but I only got two, anyone else?

1. Compared to the responses of other people, your responses suggest that you appear to balance being self-sufficient, discreet and happy to make your own decisions with being socially and emotionally engaged and outgoing.

2. Compared to the responses of other people, your responses suggest that you place a higher value on the laws, norms, conventions and expectations of society. This approach may cause you a dilemma when they appear to conflict with the freedom or rights of individuals. In such circumstances you may be more likely than others to support the rights and needs of the society or community over those of the individual.

OMG,i got the same paragraphs written in my non cognitive,word by word.This is freaky lol
OriginofSymmetry
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
um,no,they are too close to my home.what do you think of aberdeen?

The question is: What do you think of Aberdeen?

For instance, you mentioned you wanted to apply to Glasgow, yet I dislike their method of teaching; while you may love it!

Go have a look at it yourself.
BillyLiu
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Did the UKCAT today, and got these:

VR: 660
QR: 890 :eek:
AR: 770
DA: 740
NCA: "You're too optimistic."

I'm so happy right now

One thing that was interesting about this one is the Non-Cog test, which seemed rather like a personality questionaire you get off Facebook (answer 125 short answers, with no fictional situations at all). Took a bit longer to do

Some advice: in Quantitative if a question set seems rather bulky (and I mean really, really, omg the info is everywhere bulky) read the question and scan through info. If you think it'll take too long skip all four immediately. This gives you 1 1/2 minutes with which to spend on other, easier questions; ensuring that you get those right instead (and perhaps adding even more time).

In abstract, sit back and look at the pretty shapes. If one seems too confusing just guess and move on. Don't be too "guess happy" however O__O
Eden01
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Does anyone know how much Southampton use the UKCAT?

Also, Leeds please Maybe BSMS too
i.star
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have my UKCAT on the 23rd and still haven't revised. Am starting to freak out :woo: and thinking of rescheduling but i have only today to do that. Can i revise it in 2 days and still do well ? or do i need loads of revision. I dnt like using the website and prefer books. anyone know where to get one and which book:confused:
someone plz reply asap.. i think am gonna do ****.
shriya
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by i.star)
I have my UKCAT on the 23rd and still haven't revised. Am starting to freak out :woo: and thinking of rescheduling but i have only today to do that. Can i revise it in 2 days and still do well ? or do i need loads of revision. I dnt like using the website and prefer books. anyone know where to get one and which book:confused:

i revised a lot,dont think it made much of a difference.you just need to have a look at the practice questions,to get familiar with the format.
shriya
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
and oh by the way,you can apply to just four universities for medcine,not five.sorry if you already know that
i.star
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
and oh by the way,you can apply to just four universities for medcine,not five.sorry if you already know that

Yh i know..just wrote five cos i'll select from them based on how well i do in the ukcat/bmat and which unis will consider a retake in one module in maths to get an A
cucumber sandwich
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Okay, anyone have any tips for the abstract reasoning test? That's the only section I am worried about right now. I find the Decision analysis the easiest, and abstract reasoning the hardest (mainly because of the time). I just can't see how I will have the time to finish all 65 questions in 16 minutes. Help?
i.star
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
anyone practiced the test in 2 days and did jsut fine??
Myoclonic Jerk
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by cucumber sandwich)
Okay, anyone have any tips for the abstract reasoning test? That's the only section I am worried about right now. I find the Decision analysis the easiest, and abstract reasoning the hardest (mainly because of the time). I just can't see how I will have the time to finish all 65 questions in 16 minutes. Help?
Do the practice questions on the UKCAT website, then go through the answer scheme with the questions up. They should give you an idea of the sort of patterns that tend to be used. If in doubt, guess, mark for review, and move on.

I found that the best thing to do was to look at the two grids and try to figure out the relationship before looking at the box that had to be assigned to one of them.
OriginofSymmetry
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
anyone practiced the test in 2 days and did jsut fine??

Me. Practised the day before and got 702.5. It is an aptitude test.
i.star
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by OriginofSymmetry)
Me. Practised the day before and got 702.5. It is an aptitude test.
oh well done! if i get 600+ i'll be content.

anyone whether the practice test in the ukcat website is a good indicator of what the real test is like? is it easier or harder or same?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (249)
38.97%
No - but I will (44)
6.89%
No - I don't want to (47)
7.36%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (299)
46.79%

Watched Threads