33.33%

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by xo-Heva)
    Kasabian?? In Aberdeen? No way!
    I was sooo going to go to that.
    :eek: Want. Ticket. Sooo. Bad.
    :p: We bought them off this guy selling them on gumtree.com last week.

ReputationRep:
    Hello.

ReputationRep:

Suddenly everything seems okay again. D:

I'm going to see Muse and Arctic Monkeys. :sexface:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Madjackismad)
    I'm going to see Muse and Arctic Monkeys. :sexface:
    rub it in why don't ya. :huff:

(Original post by Kirsteneg)
    rub it in why don't ya. :huff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedrobear)

Suddenly everything seems okay again. D:
    Wow. Is that a public toilet? o.O 10 points to anyone who can slip "the toilet of life" and "the soap of forgiveness" into normal conversation.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    bully.

(Original post by Kirsteneg)
    bully.
    Subscribe to ticketmaster updates then. :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Subscribe to ticketmaster updates then. :p:
    I HAVE!!

But they don't actually 'update' me before the tickets go on sale, so by the time I found out, they're already sold out!

:rant:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    So much heavy rain...
    Yup. My socks are all soggy...

ReputationRep:
    Rain is no fun

ReputationRep:
    Omg I pushed my backdoor and it fell out and smashed I'm so screwed.

(Original post by LuhLah)
    Omg I pushed my backdoor and it fell out and smashed I'm so screwed.
    :rofl: Oh LuhLah. <3

I hate my job, and I hate having to come home to do my homework. :shifty: My PS sounds so boring, but I don't want to start with a quote or "Since I was in my pram" :rolleyes: Best to just be honest. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    My PS sounds so boring, but I don't want to start with a quote or "Since I was in my pram" :rolleyes: Best to just be honest. :woo:
    Your personal statement is not intended to be a work of art, it is intended to be the most concise and effective demonstration possible that you fall within the best n candidates for a given course. Granted, as an English applicant, it's strongly advisable that you show at least some degree of familiarity with the language at hand.

It's not desperately important to make it interesting for its own sake. The value of your personal statement should come from showing the interest in your subject, your feelings about it, and anything concrete you have to reinforce your claims. 'Show, don't tell' and all that jazz.

On a more prosaic note, not all of the 'past history' introductions are a bad idea. If they're fabricating a story, then it's rather lame. Otherwise, it helps form a useful structure that leads the reader to know where the applicant's motivation is coming from and what they have accomplished thus far before moving on to the future.

As I say, it's far from necessary to be novel. You may want to pique the admissions' officer's interest in order to be more memorable, or to make a greater impression. However, consider that they are paid to read hundreds of personal statements every year and so will have become quite practised in the art of drawing something unique from each if it's there. If you go to great lengths to break the norms, then you are subverting this practice and consequently leaving yourself to the whim of the officer as a person (which is why humour and controversy are usually avoided).

In short: sometimes it's better to go along with the system for an easier life!

Spoiler:
    Show
    Now how's that for procrastination, huh?

ReputationRep:

I hate my job, and I hate having to come home to do my homework. :shifty: My PS sounds so boring, but I don't want to start with a quote or "Since I was in my pram" :rolleyes: Best to just be honest. :woo:
    I ended up starting with "I want to study Medicine because...". Not the most original start!

(Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    Your personal statement is not intended to be a work of art, it is intended to be the most concise and effective demonstration possible that you fall within the best n candidates for a given course. Granted, as an English applicant, it's strongly advisable that you show at least some degree of familiarity with the language at hand.

It's not desperately important to make it interesting for its own sake. The value of your personal statement should come from showing the interest in your subject, your feelings about it, and anything concrete you have to reinforce your claims. 'Show, don't tell' and all that jazz.

On a more prosaic note, not all of the 'past history' introductions are a bad idea. If they're fabricating a story, then it's rather lame. Otherwise, it helps form a useful structure that leads the reader to know where the applicant's motivation is coming from and what they have accomplished thus far before moving on to the future.

As I say, it's far from necessary to be novel. You may want to pique the admissions' officer's interest in order to be more memorable, or to make a greater impression. However, consider that they are paid to read hundreds of personal statements every year and so will have become quite practised in the art of drawing something unique from each if it's there. If you go to great lengths to break the norms, then you are subverting this practice and consequently leaving yourself to the whim of the officer as a person (which is why humour and controversy are usually avoided).

In short: sometimes it's better to go along with the system for an easier life!

Spoiler:
    Show
    Now how's that for procrastination, huh?
    Thank you I won't feel so bad about not writing an explosive opening then. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I've had enough of excel for one night! :sigh:

ReputationRep:

I **** myself :indiff:

So you haven't finished the PS yet? Don't worry if you haven't, you still have until January to finish it

(Original post by LuhLah)
    So you haven't finished the PS yet? Don't worry if you haven't, you still have until January to finish it
    Try next Friday :shh: But I'll have it done ... don't you worry

*is comforting self* :yep:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.