Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NFL talk? Questions about American football? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greg1989)
    but equally sanchez has gotten us to the championship game in both his years....but id still rather have flaco or ryan

i dont think you can place all the blame on ryan for losing at that stage as you have to remember they are playing the best teams in the playoffs and anything can happen to anyone - case in point seahawks vs saints
    Sanchez is a strange one, yes he does seem to improve in the playoffs but I think his regular season play isn't in the same plane as Ryan or Flacco. The Jets lean on their defense an awful lot. Before you say it, the Ravens are no longer the defensive team they used to be and Reed, Ngata, Lewis and Suggs aside we are a distinctly average defensive unit (with awful corners).

I don't put all the blame on Ryan for the Falcons losing but his 69.0 rating with two picks against the Packers does apportion a fair amount of the blame onto him.

Flacco got stitched by some awful catching (or lack thereof) in our playoff loss to the Steelers, but played very well against Kansas City.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedgeman49)
    Sanchez is a strange one, yes he does seem to improve in the playoffs but I think his regular season play isn't in the same plane as Ryan or Flacco. The Jets lean on their defense an awful lot. Before you say it, the Ravens are no longer the defensive team they used to be and Reed, Ngata, Lewis and Suggs aside we are a distinctly average defensive unit (with awful corners).

I don't put all the blame on Ryan for the Falcons losing but his 69.0 rating with two picks against the Packers does apportion a fair amount of the blame onto him.

Flacco got stitched by some awful catching (or lack thereof) in our playoff loss to the Steelers, but played very well against Kansas City.
    i make no excuses for leaning on the defence, its true we do and im glad of it as I believe a good defence is the cornerstone of a team. i dont think sanchez gets any better in the playoffs really I dont like him and he is pretty poor all year its just those flashes of brilliance in clutch plays that save him and the team (but equally thats a lot to do with other members on the team helping make those plays)

i do like flacco and ryan but i think both are above average rather than great, id pick both of them over many other qb's out there at the moment. maybe one day as they develop one will be a clear better to me but for now I think both balance out on the whole

ReputationRep:
    To the above people ... ^^

Mark Sanchez sucks. He is overated and not clutch. He will be labelled a bust in a few years and will end up a career back-up.

You heard it here first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Patriot)

Mark Sanchez sucks. He is overated and not clutch. He will be labelled a bust in a few years and will end up a career back-up.

You heard it here first.
    I'd say that's somewhat of an overstatement.

ReputationRep:

You heard it here first.
    Yes he is overrated and he is not clutch.

However I think that he's done enough already to avoid being labelled a "bust" and I don't think he's going to be a career backup.

ReputationRep:

You heard it here first.
    He has had undeniable growing pains and I am far from a fan but to be fair to him ideally he wouldn't have started any games his first season and learnt behind a veteran, he has a long way to go but his playoff record is great for a 2 year QB, remember as well he barely played any college ball and then got thrown straight into the NFL overall I would say he is adapting well and the sky is the limit for him

ReputationRep:

You heard it here first.
    he wont be a bust simply because of his road playoff win stats if nothing else

im not saying he is clutch but he did undeniably make some clutch performances in the over time games last season (not saying it wasnt a large part luck and if he had played better they wouldnt have been in that position

but yeah im not a fan of him and i think its possible he will end up a back up in a few years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    Did you like the Julio Jones pick ? Seemed a big gamble to me trading up that much for him when he has had some problems with his hands but if he is the real deal people will forget the ransom. Will be hard for him the longer the lockout carries on too and he can't be coached in proper surroundings
    I actually really like it. We needed someone to help set our O on fire, and I don't think we've got as many needs as people think (our DE situation will be brilliant if we get Ray Edwards, which seems likely, and everywhere else we've got good players). That explosive player wasn't around at the end of the draft.

I don't think he'll be as affected by the lockout as many rookies. His work ethic is brilliant by all accounts, and he's got some very good veteran help (I'm not saying they'll be as good as coaches, but it's better than most teams have). I'd imagine our offense would be similar to last years too, but with some added big plays which'd help in teaching him. On top of all that, he likely won't be a 1st or 2nd option very often for his first year, which is the case for a lot of top rookie WRs.

So yeah, I'm fine with the pick and the huge cost for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mufasaa)
    I actually really like it. We needed someone to help set our O on fire, and I don't think we've got as many needs as people think (our DE situation will be brilliant if we get Ray Edwards, which seems likely, and everywhere else we've got good players). That explosive player wasn't around at the end of the draft.

I don't think he'll be as affected by the lockout as many rookies. His work ethic is brilliant by all accounts, and he's got some very good veteran help (I'm not saying they'll be as good as coaches, but it's better than most teams have). I'd imagine our offense would be similar to last years too, but with some added big plays which'd help in teaching him. On top of all that, he likely won't be a 1st or 2nd option very often for his first year, which is the case for a lot of top rookie WRs.

So yeah, I'm fine with the pick and the huge cost for it.
    I agree and I think the risk can be overstated when teams make big moves when in reality its better to try something big to get over the top rather than wallow in mediocrity playing everything safe IMO especially as it shows fans some ambition and if Julio Jones comes through you will be a real force in a tough division when you might have been a 1 and done playoff team looking for a lucky break or two to go deep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    I agree and I think the risk can be overstated when teams make big moves when in reality its better to try something big to get over the top rather than wallow in mediocrity playing everything safe IMO especially as it shows fans some ambition and if Julio Jones comes through you will be a real force in a tough division when you might have been a 1 and done playoff team looking for a lucky break or two to go deep
    Exactly, we went 13-3 last year and we needed something for us to be a force in the playoffs too. Unfortunately, New Orleans are equally as good as us, and the top of the NFC looks like it'll be ridiculously good (Atlanta, New Orleans, Green Bay and probably Philadelphia are all 12 win teams).

ReputationRep:
    Anyone see the feud between Flacco and Woodley? (Here if you haven't seen it http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...wl-with-Flacco) I am completely on Flacco's side here, the Steelers, especially Woodley, piss me off with this trash talking. In that video, he makes it sound as though the Steelers won the Superbowl and are completely dominant over everyone, which they didn't and aren't. I can't wait for that game between the Ravens and the Steelers and I'll be cheering for Flacco all the way.

ReputationRep:
    Woodley amuses me. I think he lives in a little bubble world where the only players that exist are wearing black and gold.

and what a horrendous world that would be.

ReputationRep:
    Don't get me started on the Steelers.

ReputationRep:
    There's not much for me to shout about, being a Denver Broncos fan, however we have got Tim Tebow and this year, bye bye Kyle Orton finally! Oh, and we got Von Miller in the 1st round of the draft! He has won:
    Freshman All-Big 12 (2007)
    NCAA Sacks leader with 18 (2009)
    2× First-team All-America honors (2009, 2010)
    2× First-team All-Big 12 honors (2009, 2010)
    Butkus Award (2010)
    Looking forward to the new season! Is anyone getting Wembley tickets? Sign up to NFLUK.com and you get priority tickets every year, Iv'e done it for the last couple of years and it's really worthwhile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    x
    A player was ejected this week (and suspended for his next game) for wearing "excessively long metallic rugby-style studs". See the disciplinary cases section of this week's BAFRA Newsflash: http://www.bafra.org/newsflash/2011/201123.htm
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    A player was ejected this week (and suspended for his next game) for wearing "excessively long metallic rugby-style studs". See the disciplinary cases section of this week's BAFRA Newsflash: http://www.bafra.org/newsflash/2011/201123.htm
    How do I ensure they are not too long - I don't remember it saying on the pack then I used to buy studs? (thanks for showing me btw)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    How do I ensure they are not too long - I don't remember it saying on the pack then I used to buy studs? (thanks for showing me btw)
    No more than half an inch... just use an estimate, if it looks about half an inch while you're in the shop then it definitely will to an official standing ten yards away from you. Just don't get the massive soft ground studs.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    No more than half an inch... just use an estimate, if it looks about half an inch while you're in the shop then it definitely will to an official standing ten yards away from you. Just don't get the massive soft ground studs.
    I will so get this wrong somehow :emo:

Juts my luck.

I have only ever bought one pair and they were football boots + studs.

I will take a ruler

ReputationRep:
    "If players don't have replacement shoes, they can either play barefoot or not play."

"This is a player safety issue."

Yes, I've often thought about playing barefoot to improve my safety.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    "If players don't have replacement shoes, they can either play barefoot or not play."

"This is a player safety issue."

Yes, I've often thought about playing barefoot to improve my safety.
    I think it's a very poor attempt at humour... BAFRA aren't known for their humour.

There have been some kickers that have played barefoot before IIRC.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.