Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Hurt was the 9th incarnation, but what he did wasn't in the name of the doctor, he's not considered as the doctor - Ecclestone was the 9th Doctor, but the 10th incarnation of that time lord.
    What?? So 9 is actually 10, 10 is 11 and 11 is 12? So the next Doctor will be the last regeneration?

Has this actually been confirmed or is it just speculation? Doesn't seem right that they can just rewrite like 8 years of Who (since its return in 2005).

MOFFAT!!!! *shakes fist angrily*
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by montstar)
    What?? So 9 is actually 10, 10 is 11 and 11 is 12? So the next Doctor will be the last regeneration?

Has this actually been confirmed or is it just speculation? Doesn't seem right that they can just rewrite like 8 years of Who (since its return in 2005).

MOFFAT!!!! *shakes fist angrily*
    Pretty much - although I don't think it's the case that the next doctor is the last, if I remember rightly the High Council could give out extra regenerations (they did so to get the Master to fight in the Time War), and given the Doctor is the last of his kind, he'd technically be in charge.

If I remember rightly John Hurt said he was the ninth in an interview.

ReputationRep:
    WHY DOES HE HAVE TO LEAVE?!?!?!?!?! He was on part with David Tennant if not better. I just hope they don't give the role to a black actor just to satisfy those retards that say the show is Racist. And that goes for a women being cast too. I'm not racist,I just think the doctor should remain white and male, it suits the role better. Even if someone from my ethinicity was cast I would be against aswell it since it just wouldnt be right for the show. More importantly, the next doctor should not be cast on colour or gender but who is the best actor for the role.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Just caught up on all I missed while travelling, wasn't thrilled with final 3 episodes of season, also not happy about the announcement. Ah well!

ReputationRep:
    In today's BBC article with speculation on the next Doctor, one of the candidates is my godparents' other god-daughter. If she gets it, I could be almost related to the Doctor. :eek4:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    In today's BBC article with speculation on the next Doctor, one of the candidates is my godparents' other god-daughter. If she gets it, I could be almost related to the Doctor. :eek4:
    So they are genuinely thinking about a female Doctor?

Not too sure how I feel about that but only because Moffat seems to have a nightmare writing a developed and rounded female over the course of an entire series.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Rusty Spork)
    So they are genuinely thinking about a female Doctor?

Not too sure how I feel about that but only because Moffat seems to have a nightmare writing a developed and rounded female over the course of an entire series.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well the press have been suggesting it. There's been nothing official at all. All we know is that the role hasn't been cast yet!

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I think Moffat should go too to be honest... while his first series in charge (with Matt Smith) was great I think they've really dropped in quality with Smith's second and third series. There's the odd good episode, yeah, but it feels to me like it's only one or two of the whole series that are decent, when, in older series, for me it was completely the opposite, only one or two were naff and the rest were great.

Still though, it'll be interesting to see where they go with the next Doctor based on who they pick - personally I'm not too bothered about it being a man or a woman, black or white, it'd just be different and I reckon I'd get used to it in time. However they should go with the person best suited for the role out of all the candidates, rather than just get a "token" non white/female lead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHistoryStudent)
    Honestly I think Moffat should go too to be honest... while his first series in charge (with Matt Smith) was great I think they've really dropped in quality with Smith's second and third series. There's the odd good episode, yeah, but it feels to me like it's only one or two of the whole series that are decent, when, in older series, for me it was completely the opposite, only one or two were naff and the rest were great.

Still though, it'll be interesting to see where they go with the next Doctor based on who they pick - personally I'm not too bothered about it being a man or a woman, black or white, it'd just be different and I reckon I'd get used to it in time. However they should go with the person best suited for the role out of all the candidates, rather than just get a "token" non white/female lead.
    Totally agree with all of this. It's time for Moffatt to go. As long as he's involved we are just going to get more 'quirkiness' at the expense of real emotion and narrative depth, and we aren't going to get full series since he's so involved in Sherlock and other major projects that he just doesn't have the time for it. To a certain extent that isn't his fault, but he should move on and let someone else take over for a while, let the show move in a new direction for a bit.

I also agree that the best person should be chosen regardless of skin colour and gender. With skin colour it doesn't really make a difference with the direction of the show, but with gender I think they'll have to decide early on. If it's going to be a female Doctor, that will have a massive effect on the show, so they won't be able to 'just' appoint a female actor without considering carefully whether or not that's what they want the show to do next.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I really don't want a female doctor. I just don't personally think it would work. Plus I don't like the way Moffat writes women so yeah.

However, I do want a ginger doctor...

ReputationRep:
    I like Matt's Doctor a lot, but the writing has let him down quite a bit I think... Looking forward to seeing a new Doctor! My preference would be Hugh Laurie... Playing him in the style of House.

ReputationRep:
    I understand the want for a female Doctor but don't believe there is a need for one. The Doctor has always been a guy and I don't think making him female will make the show any better.

But I would like the new lead to be a relatively unknown actor like Matt was.

ReputationRep:
    I want a male doctor tbh. It's just the tradition and the norm. It would be way too odd to have a male turn into a female tbh. You can relate to a male regenerated doctor and reference him to his predecessor better if both are males in my view.

I also don't think the assistant should be a male either. If it's not broken don't fix it.

Now, if we are talking race, i would bet my bank-account the doctor is going to be white(i don't mind or care what race btw). I make patterns out of social norms, it's interesting to see how predictable some things can be!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    No it isn't - the corsair (as mentioned in the doctors wife) had different genders: remember the line about the tattoo "just didn't feel himself, or herself a couple of times, without it". Then there was also Matt Smiths regeneration: when checking his hair he thought he was a girl for a second.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is it pure chance that every single doctor has been male so far? I personally think Matt Smith doing the hair-check was just an attempt at comedy and to dramatize the regeneration.

ReputationRep:
    Actually I think the whole 'young male Doctor and young attractive female companion who falls in love with him' thing has been done to death.

My hope for the companion role would be having two or more separate companions (not a couple like amy and rory), at least one of whom isn't human.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    Actually I think the whole 'young male Doctor and young attractive female companion who falls in love with him' thing has been done to death.

My hope for the companion role would be having two or more separate companions (not a couple like amy and rory), at least one of whom isn't human.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think the idea of more companions is a fair one. Perhaps a temporary companion can be incoorporated? I personally feel for the long term, one companion and one doctor really help to build up the on-screen relationship(in the sense you get more of a feel for the characters).

Like in the current episode, we have two aliens and one woman in victorian england who often help the doctor, but are more temporary, and one assistant who is permanent.

ReputationRep:
    Few quotes from series 6 finale making me think that the ending which went "Doctor Who?" isn't as cheesy anymore (In spoilers because it's a bit long)

Spoiler:
    Show
    The Doctor: What’s so dangerous about my future?
    Dorium: On the Fields of Trensimore, on the Fall of the Eleventh, when no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer, a question will be asked. A question that must never ever be answered.
    The Doctor: “Silence will fall when the question is asked.”
    Dorium: “Silence must fall” would be a better translation. The Silence are determined that the questions will never be answered, that the Doctor will never reach Trensimore.
    The Doctor: I don’t understand, what’s it got to do with me?
    Dorium: The first question — the oldest question in the universe — hidden in plain sight. Would you like to know what it is?
    The Doctor: Yes.
    Dorium: Are you sure? [skulls turn] Very very sure?
    The Doctor: Of course.
    Dorium: Then I shall tell you. But on your own head be it.

Churchill: But what was the question? Why did it mean your death?
    The Doctor: Suppose there was a man who knew a secret. A terrible, dangerous secret that must never be told. How would you erase that secret from the world—destroy it forever—before it can be spoken?
    Churchill: If I had to, I’d destroy the man.
    The Doctor: “And Silence would fall.” All those times I heard those words, I never realized it was my silence. My death. The Doctor will fall.

Dorium: So many secrets, Doctor. I’ll help you keep them of course.
    The Doctor: Well you’re not exactly going anywhere are you?
    Dorium: But you’re a fool nonetheless. It’s all still waiting for you. The Fields of Trensimore. The Fall of the Eleventh. And the question.
    The Doctor: Goodbye Dorium.
    Dorium: The first question! The question that must never be answered! Hidden in plain sight! The question you’ve been running from all your life! “Doctor Who.” “Doctor Who.” “Doctor Who”!

I wonder what The Fall of the Eleventh is referring to

ReputationRep:
    People like Olivia Colman and Colin Morgan are being mentioned to succeed Matt. If there is one rule... it should be that any actor/actress that has had a role, however small/brief, be ruled out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by montstar)
    Benedict should play the next master, he'd be perfect for it. Anyone who's seen Star Trek 2 will know what I mean.

'I will walk over your cold corpses...'
    He would be rather awesome in that part. Didn't the Master get destroyed by the former Timelords or something? Presumably they could fix that with a bit of time manipulation....

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to miss Matt Smith a lot, he's been an outstanding doctor in my opinion. Every bit the equal of David Tennant. His quirky odd style suits the role brilliantly.

I wonder who the next doctor will be - I'm hoping for a slightly older chap this time round, to change things up a bit, but I'll likely be happy with whomever they choose. Same pattern as always, I'll resent the new doctor for the first few episodes and miss the 11th but soon grow to love the new fella whomever he will turn out to be.

At least Matt has the privilege of playing the 50th anniversary episode and go out in style! Bow ties are indeed very cool.

I'm also glad Jenna is sticking around for at least another series, we need to see her character develop more, we've only had half a series with her and it doesn't seem enough, Clara still seems new and relatively unknown.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.