Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by Jatz07)
    Hey,

One of my cousins is a doctor, well I am not going to lie but from his experience, if you are going to become a doctor it can be hard in terms of the hours... for example, sometimes if you're a doctor you may be on call (the work can phone you randomly and expect you to come in if a patient's life is in danger)

You don't get sued if you get the job right, but my cousin did say that you do meet a wide range of patients who can sometimes be quite rude and irritant, but as a doctor you need to calm the patient

You still do have fun on the weekends ! but not as much...

however, once you're a doctor you're set for life in terms of money and helping patient's lives etc...

i'm thinking of dentistry (dental surgeon) rather than medicine though

Jatz
    Hey,

Thanks for the answer. Dentistry sounds good too I'm just a bit uncomfortable sticking my fingers in people's mouths on a daily basis lol. I don't like the 'not as much' part :/ but I'm gonna think about medicine

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by techno836)
    my school is really dodgy! :lol:

basically we do IT nationals in year 8 and 9 (sometimes 10)
    PE BTEC is done in year 9 and 10
    we pick 2 1 year options for year 9 10 and 11
    and we sit maths and English in year 10 depending on ability (these can then do lit/stats in year 11)
    Sciences everybody sits in year 10 and 11 over 2 years
    Woah :O

At my school we aren't allowed to sit any early without a sure fire guarantee of an A* (ie you're actually German/French/Spanish/Greek/Russian/etc so you sit the relevant language exam or you're a maths prodigy that's been doing GCSE maths essentially from birth). The only exams you sit in year 10 are modules (RS or Classics or in some cases Maths), everything else is sat at the end of year 11 and STRESS. 😱

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Molly_xox)
    Woah :O

At my school we aren't allowed to sit any early without a sure fire guarantee of an A* (ie you're actually German/French/Spanish/Greek/Russian/etc so you sit the relevant language exam or you're a maths prodigy that's been doing GCSE maths essentially from birth). The only exams you sit in year 10 are modules (RS or Classics or in some cases Maths), everything else is sat at the end of year 11 and STRESS. 😱

Posted from TSR Mobile
    haha so your school is a more normal school then

and in year 9 I picked AiDA (IT thind) and History (:/) year 10 Spanish and Human health and physiology and in year 11 separate sciences so I could do triple and not double, and I did bronze DofE enrichment

ReputationRep:
    haha so your school is a more normal school then

and in year 9 I picked AiDA (IT thind) and History (:/) year 10 Spanish and Human health and physiology and in year 11 separate sciences so I could do triple and not double, and I did bronze DofE enrichment
    Since year 10 (when decisions were finalised) I've studied:
    English Lit
    English
    Maths
    Triple IGCSE science
    French
    Spanish
    RS
    History

Then next year I need to choose 4 and I can only definitely rule out 4 of the ten

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    English Lit
    English
    Maths
    Triple IGCSE science
    French
    Spanish
    RS
    History

Then next year I need to choose 4 and I can only definitely rule out 4 of the ten

Posted from TSR Mobile
    which four are they ? and what do you want to do ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tess_rach)
    "How useful is Thornbury Castle when studying the development of castles from 1066-c.1550?" What about yours?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cant remember word for word but something like "How useful is Fountains Abbey as a source for historians" what mark did u get on urs?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone do WJEC history course?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    We do one year gcses, meaning we do two options each year. It's like:

Y9
    Op 1
    Op 2

Y10
    Op 3
    Op 4
    Eng lang
    Maths
    Sci 1
    PE btec

Y11
    Op 5
    Op 6
    Eng lit (or lang retake)
    As Maths/Cit (or gcse retake)
    Sci 2
    Pe gcse

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    which four are they ? and what do you want to do ??
    I'm trying to choose between the 3 sciences, French, Spanish and Philosophy+Ethics

In the future...I don't know. Medicine/medical science, languages or philosophy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)

Y9
    Op 1
    Op 2

Y10
    Op 3
    Op 4
    Eng lang
    Maths
    Sci 1
    PE btec

Y11
    Op 5
    Op 6
    Eng lit (or lang retake)
    Sci 2
    Pe gcse

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That seems so strange to me :') my school barely offers any subjects - no PE/ICT/Sociology/Psychology/Business Studies...etc for us!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to choose between the 3 sciences, French, Spanish and Philosophy+Ethics

In the future...I don't know. Medicine/medical science, languages or philosophy

Posted from TSR Mobile
    oh wow errr definitely need to narrow down then

well I don't know what philosophy entails and what careers are available .. so i'd go for the other two and have you A levels as Chemistry, Biology Spanish and French as it is a blend of both and will keep both of those doors open for you .. I even believe whilst at Uni doing medicine you could do a 6 year course with a year abroad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)

Y9
    Op 1
    Op 2

Y10
    Op 3
    Op 4
    Eng lang
    Maths
    Sci 1
    PE btec

Y11
    Op 5
    Op 6
    Eng lit (or lang retake)
    Sci 2
    Pe gcse

Posted from TSR Mobile
    similar to mine then except we do IT in yr 8 & 9 .. and we do PE BTEC for 2 years in 9 and 10 :-)

ReputationRep:
    My school does everything exam related in may/June. Its great for 4 years and 6 months then it goes to hell. We are one of the leading public schools so I guess its working

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    oh wow errr definitely need to narrow down then

well I don't know what philosophy entails and what careers are available .. so i'd go for the other two and have you A levels as Chemistry, Biology Spanish and French as it is a blend of both and will keep both of those doors open for you .. I even believe whilst at Uni doing medicine you could do a 6 year course with a year abroad
    Thank you I'll have a think again, I'm trying to get as many opinions as possible :')

Which subjects are you taking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you I'll have a think again, I'm trying to get as many opinions as possible :')

Which subjects are you taking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics

ReputationRep:
    I'm unsure if I want to do maths at uni or something like medicine. Im best at maths by far but I don't vknow what maths would get me into vthat excites me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxxKINGxxx)
    I'm unsure if I want to do maths at uni or something like medicine. Im best at maths by far but I don't vknow what maths would get me into vthat excites me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    what are the rest of your grades like? and what A levels will you be taking ?

ReputationRep:
    Further, chem bio

Id probably get 7-9.A/A* between 3-8 A* I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    English Lit
    English
    Maths
    Triple IGCSE science
    French
    Spanish
    RS
    History

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did almost exactly the same GCSEs (or iGCSEs) as you (except geography>spanish) :O What are you doing for A-Levels?

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics
    Maths would be my worst nightmare :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.