Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

15 August 2013 A-Level results: Discussion thread - results day is here! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lillollystar)
    Track has frozen until Thursday morning. This is getting real!
    Oh, I didn't know about that! Can UCAS still edit the course information? There was some confusion for me because my course was categorised as a postgraduate course by mistake and this still needs to be changed. My university assured me that the information would be corrected

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else feel that they're not going to bother with their insurance, so If you miss your firm, you're taking a year out? It's my firm or nowhere for me, heh..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Padouken)
    Anyone else feel that they're not going to bother with their insurance, so If you miss your firm, you're taking a year out? It's my firm or nowhere for me, heh..
    Nope - I wouldn't insure a university I didn't want to go to.

ReputationRep:
    I can't actually get onto my insurance course if I miss my firm. The only requirement I haven't met for my firm is an A in biology, but I also need to get an A in bio for my insurance. So if I DO get the A, I'm into my firm. If not, I end up with nothing.

I didn't know this at the time when I picked my firm/insurance. I only found out after the March results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Where'sPerry?)
    I can't actually get onto my insurance course if I miss my firm. The only requirement I haven't met for my firm is an A in biology, but I also need to get an A in bio for my insurance. So if I DO get the A, I'm into my firm. If not, I end up with nothing.

I didn't know this at the time when I picked my firm/insurance. I only found out after the March results.
    You might still get into one because they let you in despite missing your offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingdoo)
    Think it depends on the UNI and the grades that they are asking for. Remember people get into OXBRIDGE in adjustment and pretty much every UNI will have places. I guess it will be slightly easier than in the past due to the high fees which they only get if they fill their spaces
    Is this true! I thought Oxford and Cambridge did not do adjustment offers?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind going to my insurance university, but I'd rather try and go to a better university through clearing. The only reason I insured my insurance uni is because it was the only university which gave me an AAB offer as opposed to other universities which gave me AAA offer. >.< Although my-second choice university, offered me AAB if I firmed it. But it was way too far than my first choice university so I took the gamble and rejected the offer. So if I don't get into my firm, I'm going to try and get into my second-choice uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah60000)
    I don't think it is true.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure tbh. I needed a really low mark for an A and because I don't require an A* for my offer, I didn't really bother with much work (I only bother achieving what I need and never go the extra mile, a flaw, I know) so I did like one past paper. So, I didn't really know what to expect in terms of typical questions etc. A lot of people from my school said it was an odd paper and none had come across the last question ever, but I got an answer, whether or not it's right remains to be seen. I need 105 for A* but I'm not really bothered with that but we'll see what happens .

All in all, I didn't sail through it Lol. Some tricky questions tbh! The redox equations using Cobalt ions was the hardest question imo. When the question said 'there should be no electrons in the two reactions paths' I was like, 'the ****?' - literally said that in the exam.

Good luck with it
    In a similar position here - after I got my ISA mark back I knew I couldn't get an A* in chem anyway, and thankfully I don't need one for my offer. So that took some pressure off this last one

That cobalt one was terrible - I left it to the end, came back to it with about 30 seconds to go and just had no idea where to even begin with it! I did think it was an odd paper, but I'm sure I came out of most of those exams thinking 'god, never seen questions like that before, so unfair, blah blah blah' c'est la vie!

yep, best of luck to you too here's hoping grade boundaries are low.

ReputationRep:

If getting an A in Biology is a condition of entrance it should have been clearly stated in your offer. So you should have known before you selected your firm n insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PythianLegume)
    You might still get into one because they let you in despite missing your offer.
    Yes, if that happens I suppose they are most likely to take me on to my insurance course if anything. My firm and insurance are the same uni so I hope they like me for that

(Original post by HPAG)
    If getting an A in Biology is a condition of entrance it should have been clearly stated in your offer. So you should have known before you selected your firm n insurance.
    Sorry, I didn't explain well. My firm is AAB (A in biology) and my insurance is ABB (A in biology), I've always known that. But after the March results, I found that I already have an A in my geography A-Level (I started it early) and a B in my maths A-Level. Therefore, I actually can't get into my insurance now if I get an A in biology.

It's SO confusing I know

ReputationRep:
    Just read this on my firm university website:

"Even if you do not get the grades we asked for, we won't automatically reject your application. Instead we'll review it again, paying particular attention to the personal statement, reference and past academic performance. You may, therefore, still be offered a place despite not having achieved the exact conditions required."

:ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Track has frozen until Thursday morning. This is getting real!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ((((((

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes, if that happens I suppose they are most likely to take me on to my insurance course if anything. My firm and insurance are the same uni so I hope they like me for that

Sorry, I didn't explain well. My firm is AAB (A in biology) and my insurance is ABB (A in biology), I've always known that. But after the March results, I found that I already have an A in my geography A-Level (I started it early) and a B in my maths A-Level. Therefore, I actually can't get into my insurance now if I get an A in biology.

It's SO confusing I know
    So... You'd rather get a B than A. How very interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PythianLegume)
    I don't think it is true.
    It's definitely not true.

ReputationRep:
    This is basically me. Don't even know why I bothered with my Insurance really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuya)
    So... You'd rather get a B than A. How very interesting.
    Sorry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toya)
    This is basically me. Don't even know why I bothered with my Insurance really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is an insurance compulsory, provide you've got at least 2 offers?

ReputationRep:
    Just read this on my firm university website:

"Even if you do not get the grades we asked for, we won't automatically reject your application. Instead we'll review it again, paying particular attention to the personal statement, reference and past academic performance. You may, therefore, still be offered a place despite not having achieved the exact conditions required."

:ahee:
    Thats brilliant! I hope my firm does that too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah60000)
    They state explicitly on their website that they don't enter either adjustment or clearing. I think that's also the case for UCL, LSE and probably a few others.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.