The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Soontobesuper
I'm not to sure, I'd probably say that they give them equal weighting perhaps

Definitely not equal weighting.

Predictions are often exaggerated by teachers - your AS results are your actual attainment, hence AS results > Predictions as you can be friendly with your teacher and get predicted A or A*s
Original post by Robbie242
Definitely not equal weighting.

Predictions are often exaggerated by teachers - your AS results are your actual attainment, hence AS results > Predictions as you can be friendly with your teacher and get predicted A or A*s

I guess the unis will be suspicious if someone goes from a C to an A in their prediction thou, so yes.
Tbh I wasn't too sure and was hoping someone would correct me!:tongue:.
Predictions are important, but if an admissions tutor sees someone predicted say, A*AA off the back of ABCC at AS or something then they're going to know something's up. I think they use them both together; it isn't a case of one being more important than the other.
Original post by Endless Blue
Predictions are important, but if an admissions tutor sees someone predicted say, A*AA off the back of ABCC at AS or something then they're going to know something's up. I think they use them both together; it isn't a case of one being more important than the other.

I kinda agree - they compliment each other, AS results v realistic predictions - obviously they can see absurdity if somebody got say ABC at AS and is predicted A*AB - A2 usually gets harder so a prediction like this makes no sense.

When there is such a large difference like that in grades, then they will use the AS results more. I think the case where somebody has 4As and is predicted say A*A*A or something predictions do help an application. For lower grades you can't really move up or down without there being a slight doubt from an admissions tutor
(edited 10 years ago)
hey guys, I'm in Year 11 and I really need some help!

Basically, I was supposed to be attending a private school where I achieved a 50% scholarship, but due to financial reasons, it would be difficult (not impossible) to send me there. I received my GCSEs this week and achieved 14A*s and want to take Spanish, Maths, Chemistry and Biology for A-Level (I dont mind taking IB either) and was wondering whether good sixth forms such as St Olaves (1st choice), tiffins, etc, or private schools that can give me a good scholarship, e.g. city of london, epsom college, reigate grammar, etc would still consider me? I really don't wanna go back to my old school due to bullying so any help would be great!

Also if anyone could give me good grammar schools in south east england/central london, it would really help!

thanks

xx
Original post by radhikagulati

Basically, I was supposed to be attending a private school where I achieved a 50% scholarship, but due to financial reasons, it would be difficult (not impossible) to send me there. I received my GCSEs this week and achieved 14A*s and want to take Spanish, Maths, Chemistry and Biology for A-Level (I dont mind taking IB either) and was wondering whether good sixth forms such as St Olaves (1st choice), tiffins, etc, or private schools that can give me a good scholarship, e.g. city of london, epsom college, reigate grammar, etc would still consider me? I really don't wanna go back to my old school due to bullying so any help would be great!

Also if anyone could give me good grammar schools in south east england/central london, it would really help!

thanks

xx

I don't know if these schools are near you as they are all North London but they have are all high on the leguae tables, and have good reps: Henrietta Barnet, St Micheals, Latymer, Cardinal Vaghan,Watford, Camden, Parmiters
Got completely slated, when I used the TSR PS help service. Some of it admittedly was Grammatical, but a lot of it was to do with specifics in the sense I should be mentioning why I want to study my chosen course (Biomed). However, I am v reluctant to out rightly name the course in my ps as I also want to apply for Bio chem in some Unis! Help Please!
back to 12 warning points need to keep my cool
just did a past paper for c1 which i'm resitting for the third time next june as i got a c this summer,i got 56/72 which was a B so i'm happy because i only read over my notes woo :smile:
Reply 1569
Original post by krishkmistry
just did a past paper for c1 which i'm resitting for the third time next june as i got a c this summer,i got 56/72 which was a B so i'm happy because i only read over my notes woo :smile:

Why did you only read over your notes if you were resitting it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Original post by adi19956
Why did you only read over your notes if you were resitting it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

i mean i read over my notes before i did the paper today,i made notes before my resit this year!
Original post by usycool1
University choices! :afraid:

If you're thinking about applying to university and want your choices in the list below, quote this post and I'll add them in for you! :biggrin:

Information you may wish to add:

What course you're going to apply for.

Your AS subjects (and grades if you like).

Your A2 subjects (and predicted/actual grades if you want to).

What universities you're thinking of applying to and their decisions (when it comes to that).

University courses

If you'd like to make any changes, just quote me. :h:

What course you're going to apply for: Geography BSC

Your AS subjects - Geography (A), History (A), Politics (A), Critical Thinking (C), Chemistry (E)

Your A2 subjects - Geography, History, Politics and the EPQ

What universities you're thinking of applying to - Lancaster, Chester, UEA, Portsmouth, Royal Holloway

Any advice from former Year 13's on how to survive the next year? ;P
Original post by Soontobesuper
I agree with who said too much on 1 Uni. But you could still go for Imperial, and kCL perhaps?

yeah i looked at their courses the other day, i like a just CompSci course in Imperial and 2 in KCL-(CompSci and INformation managment) :smile:
Original post by fatimaja
Any advice from former Year 13's on how to survive the next year? ;P

Work reasonably hard, don't stress too much and make time for yourself! :tongue:
Original post by Robbie242
back to 12 warning points need to keep my cool

Well that went well... :s-smilie:

Original post by radhikagulati

thanks

xx

Tiffin is free, its a grammar school and an excellent one at that.
Original post by Afcwimbledon2

What course you're going to apply for: Geography BSC

Your AS subjects - Geography (A), History (A), Politics (A), Critical Thinking (C), Chemistry (E)

Your A2 subjects - Geography, History, Politics and the EPQ

What universities you're thinking of applying to - Lancaster, Chester, UEA, Portsmouth, Royal Holloway

Done!
Right, I need a bit of advice here:

For my ASs, I got BCCD in CompSci, Physics, History, and Maths (respectively). Of those, I am dropping History, and so go on to A2 with BCD in CompSci, Physics, and Maths. The problem is; I really want to go to the University of Exeter for CompSci, and they require ABB. I have found that it is possible to get my grades up to such if I retake some modules (Maths S1 - E and Physics G492 - D) I figure I can make it BBC, then move it to ABB with some work at A2 (the B is a high B).

With this in mind, would it still be worth applying to Exeter? Or would they flatly refuse me because of my BCCD AS grades?
Reply 1578
Where is everyone?

:colonhash:
Reply 1579
Original post by Pandora.
Where is everyone?

:colonhash:

Hello! :wavey:

Latest