Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrPolish)
    aight lets hope the paper will be nice including the essay >.<
    i want a brutally hard paper with ridiculously low Grade Boundaries

ReputationRep:
    Premier league fixtures released at 9.00am tomorrow same time as the exam don't worry i'll bring my phone in and check them for my man utd, they'll understand right guys????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yaz97)
    My basic plan is:
    Transport in plants
    Nitrogen cycle
    Proteins - Fe2+ group in haemoglobin and ionic bonds in tertiary structures
    Synapses
    Ca2+ in muscle contraction
    Cl- in cholera
    Sodium potassium pump in gut/axon
    H+ in ETC and in regulating blood pH
    Pi in ATP and DNA

Hope that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What ions in the nitrogen cycle? I'm being stoooopid

ReputationRep:
    Is DNA sequencing used to make the probes or are probes used in DNA sequencing? The order in the book is confusing me

ReputationRep:
    Any ideas on possible essay titles? I haven't seen one on proteins yet but we all know AQA isn't that nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cpie21)
    Can anyone explain the effect of oestrogen on gene transcription??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    1. Oestrogen diffuses through plasma membrane
    2. Binds to a receptor in cytoplasm which is also an inactive transcription factor
    3. Transcription factor changes shape and is activated (an inhibitor preventing DNA binding is displaced)
    4. Transcription factor now diffuses through nuclear pore into nucleus
    5. Binds upstream of promoter region for a gene (enhancer sequence)
    6. DNA loops out and transcription factor contacts and stimulates RNA polymerase to transcribe gene and produce mRNA

ReputationRep:
    Oestrogen binds to receptors forming an oestrogen receptor complex. The complex acts as a transcription factor and binds to promoter sequences on genes stimulating cell division. This allows oestrogen to initiate division of cells lining the uterus and cells in the breast tissue...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ohliwiah)
    Is DNA sequencing used to make the probes or are probes used in DNA sequencing? The order in the book is confusing me
    Probes used to locate genes i think

ReputationRep:
    DNA sequencing is used to find the order of nucleotides in a gene so a complimentary DNA probe can be made artificially.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayderm)
    i want a brutally hard paper with ridiculously low Grade Boundaries
    how about, a reaaaaaly nice paper, with ridiculously low Grade Boundaries ? just this once

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eilish1903)
    what's the point in that when we're getting a replacement one??
    Simple, he will go back in time with that paper, prevent the robbery from happening therefore that paper will be used and he will get 99%. Well until the mark scheme come out and all his answers were wrong due and he would have been AQA'd

ReputationRep:
    Primers (short pieces of single stranded DNA) are used in DNA sequencing. They PRIME Replication.

When they bind to DNA they provide a short piece of double stranded DNA for the DNA polymerase to bind to and begin DNA replication.

Probes are very similar but are used in Southern blots and DNA fingerprints to reveal complementary sequences.... they do not work with DNA polymerase...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bethany_)
    nitrite ions
    nitrate ions
    ammonium ions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemistrykid123)
    Simple, he will go back in time with that paper, prevent the robbery from happening therefore that paper will be used and he will get 99%. Well until the mark scheme come out and all his answers were wrong due and he would have been AQA'd
    Having the paper in advance could never help with AQA. I could be given BIOL5 three weeks in advance and be allowed to discuss questions n still only get a C if im lucky 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bioevangelist)
    nitrite ions
    nitrate ions
    ammonium ions
    Oh obviously, It's late.....

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bethany_)
    Ammonification and nitrogen fixation produce NH4+ (ammonium)
    Nitrification produces NO2- (nitrites) which are then oxidised to NO3- (nitrates) for absorption

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrPolish)
    how about, a reaaaaaly nice paper, with ridiculously low Grade Boundaries ? just this once
    This is AQA, darling. Don't be ridiculous

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thanks for the replies, but how do they know which part of the DNA to sequence if they don't know the order of the bases on the gene?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yaz97)
    Ammonification and nitrogen fixation produce NH4+ (ammonium)
    Nitrification produces NO2- (nitrites) which are then oxidised to NO3- (nitrates) for absorption

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you!!!

ReputationRep:
    At this rate my essay will be a picture of Jon snow saying you know nothing

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.